Another new Rotte binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Re: Another new Rotte binding

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am

phoenix wrote:It does look like the cables are a bit more forward than the Voile's.
Interesting, until you mentioned it I never gave much thought to the pivot point of the cables but it makes a kind of sense that if they were a bit more forward there could possibly be a bit more ‘smoothness’ in movement. I find myself wondering if lower would be an asset as well.

Too early in the day to have these kinds of thoughts...
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 pm

I know that this is a computer rendition, but looks more like a hardwire than a cable.
Waiting in vane for the real scoop on this. Looks like great XCD binding and interested.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 am

They do look like rods as opposed to a cable. The voile cables aren't cables either, they're springs. I've been out on my voiles this week and have given this some thought. The difference I found between the "cables" on the voiles and the rods on the 3pin HW or switchbacks is that there is no dead space with the cables. I can lift the heel of my boot higher without engaging the springs on my SBs or HWs or the cables on old rivas or Targas. OTOH with the 3pin cables there is immediate resistance. This is great for the downhill but not for touring. I did find that they toured better when I only clicked the bail down one time instead of two.

It's great that there is another binding option out there and I see benefits of the rotte over the 3 pin cable. In addition to what I mentioned above, the heel throw on the rotte is easier to put on than the 3p cable which is a pita's. It's too bad that they don't have a riser to enable you to hook them on your heel plate when not needed and the other benefits of the risers.

It's too bad that voile doesn't make there original HW binding that LOFi posted about. I think it would tour better than both of the above and be just as capable on the down without doing any mode changes with the cables. The duckbill in non 3 pin bindings pivots much more freely than when held down tightly by the bail of a 3pin.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:54 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 am
They do look like rods as opposed to a cable... I can lift the heel of my boot higher without engaging the springs on my SBs or HWs ... This is great for ... touring.

It's too bad that voile doesn't make there original HW binding that LOFi posted about. I think it would tour better than both of the above and be just as capable on the down without doing any mode changes with the cables. The duckbill in non 3 pin bindings pivots much more freely than when held down tightly by the bail of a 3pin.
Right on brother Al, that's it exactly. The initial lack of resistance is good for touring, keeps you honest(neutral feel initially) for turning, and yet adds some active resistance the deeper you drop into your turn/lift your heel.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Mr Lofi,

Will you please tell me what kind of binding is in this animation? I have become obsessed with being able to identify bindings quickly.

[/quote]

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Original Voile non-3-pin Hardwire binding. A marvel of simplicity and function!

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:34 am

Very cool Lo-Fi. Unfortunately now I can't stop thinking about finding a pair for myself.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:40 pm

My bindings arrived today from Telemark Pyrenees. First off they are exactly like the original illustration. I guess they had to call them “cable” bindings, since Voile had “Hardwire” sewn up :D
B26AC727-B8C3-4670-B0E7-6CE0B5CCA946.jpeg
I’m mounting them tomorrow on Voile Traverse risers, both for the four screw security and the ability to hook the hardwire behind the heel pad when I want to k & g. One thing I noticed is that the Rottefella Super Telemark is a smidgen longer front to back than the Mountaineer, so I will have to file the ridge at the back of the Traverse so that the 3 pin holes line up.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:56 pm

not sure if I already asked this - are the cables removable? tools needed?? just curious
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:02 pm

I think the cables may be removeable, Cannatonic, as they are similar to the Voiles- ie. an open loop. I haven’t tried to take them off though.

I mounted them on the Traverse risers, then put my Alico Ski March boot in the binding and it was clear I would have to shorten the rods to grip the boot properly. Despite spinning the cartridges anti-clockwise (like I’ve always done with Voile spring cartridges) the set up didn’t shorten up. I’ve emailed Telemark Pyrenees who I bought them from and also Rottefella to ask for advice.

I have a sense that maybe my Short binding for my 26MP boot has been fitted with a Long “cable” attachment. Short range is up to 27MP while Long is 27MP up. So if this so, then maybe my Long rear end is at the shortest extension out of the box so can only be extended. Tomorrow, I’ll screw it clockwise to see if it extends.