Voile V6 compared to Vagabond - Mount Advice?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
BCSkier!

Re: Voile V6 compared to Vagabond - Mount Advice?

Post by BCSkier! » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 pm

BCSkier! wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:08 pm
I can say with some degree of certainty that the binding mount too far back is the issue of poor response/turn initiation. I have 160cm Voile Vector/Vector BC, Rossignol BC 125's x 165cm, and Altai Kom 162cm that all ski exceptionally well, but have certain strengths or slight characteristics variables. Many other Telemark skis, and virtually all have benefited from skiing more centered on the ski than sometimes recommended, or certainly old school pins on balance point etc.... I recommend finding ski "working center": That is the 1/2 way point between widest point at tip, and widest point of tail. This is boot center, or at least: ball of foot; thereby meaning telemark pin line is at least 1/3 boot sole length (pins to heel), to 1/2 boot AHEAD of boot/ski center. Mark my words......
I can say with some degree of certainty that the binding mount too far back is the issue of poor response/turn initiation. I have 160cm Voile Vector/Vector BC, Rossignol BC 125's x 165cm, and Altai Kom 162cm that all ski exceptionally well, but have certain strengths or slight characteristics variables. Many other Telemark skis, and virtually all have benefited from skiing more centered on the ski than sometimes recommended, or certainly old school pins on balance point etc.... I recommend finding ski "working center": That is the 1/2 way point between widest point at tip, and widest point of tail. This is boot center, or at least: ball of foot; thereby meaning telemark pin line is at least 1/3 boot sole length (pins to heel), to 1/2 boot AHEAD of boot/ski center. Mark my words!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:29 pm

BCSkier! wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:34 pm
I will assume my comment will be approved.. so here is an accompanying photo of "center" mounted (or nearly, as in some were earlier and not fully committed)
Hey, that quiver looks familiar.

Are you guys getting any snow right now in the Bethel area?

BCSkier!

Post by BCSkier! » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm

Yes, snowing on the grass 2" so far @ 5pm, Bird Hill, Locke Mills/Bethel, Maine 4/16/21....more to the south?
20210416_164310.jpg
4:45 pm, Bird Hill, Bethel

grm

Post by grm » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:28 pm

Just a friendly bump on this thread, as I’m considering getting one of these 2 skis.

Was wondering if anyone could add anything to the experience above, if you could only have one of these skis, in hindsight which one would it be? I ski PNW and tour soft snow almost exclusively. Rarely inbounds or on hard snow/ice. Hope to use with meidjo’s.

Thanks very much and great deep turns to you.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:58 am

If getting a V-6 mount per Voile directed mounting. Just because they don’t warrant Telemark mounts on some skis doesn’t mean they don’t know the correct location.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:37 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:58 am
If getting a V-6 mount per Voile directed mounting. Just because they don’t warrant Telemark mounts on some skis doesn’t mean they don’t know the correct location.
Nah, V6 mounted -2 or -3 if telemark depending on boot size is the way to go. Don't lose any steering or schmearability, gain confidence in the tip staying up and able to get low and forward. I have tried both recommended and back positions. Also V6 is mounted very forward compared to other similar skis % wise.

Less aggressive skiers prob wouldn't notice a difference.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:11 am

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:37 am
fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:58 am
Nah, V6 mounted -2 or -3 if telemark depending on boot size is the way to go. Don't lose any steering or schmearability, gain confidence in the tip staying up and able to get low and forward. I have tried both recommended and back positions. Also V6 is mounted very forward compared to other similar skis % wise.

Less aggressive skiers prob wouldn't notice a difference.
I can’t argue with that logic. I am cautious of forward mounting positions. Mounting back is the other side of the coin, especially with more neutral bindings.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 am

grm wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:28 pm
Just a friendly bump on this thread, as I’m considering getting one of these 2 skis.

Was wondering if anyone could add anything to the experience above, if you could only have one of these skis, in hindsight which one would it be? I ski PNW and tour soft snow almost exclusively. Rarely inbounds or on hard snow/ice. Hope to use with meidjo’s.

Thanks very much and great deep turns to you.
The Vagabond is a great ski-- I don't have it, but I have the Outcast 97- same chassis. It's also a very straightforward traditional ski. You know what you're going to get, and it works well on firm and soft snow. It's stiffer and more aggressive than the V6.

The V6 is a soft snow maniac magic carpet ride of a ski. It's one of the most insanely easy to ski skis I've ever had the grace to attach to my feet. That thing just chomps ahead and connects with me mentally in a way that defies logic. It has its own telepathic brain. Absolutely pleasure of a ski in soft snow, especially as a telemark ski. The wider shovel to narrower tail proportionally, the rocker, the flex, absolutely wonderful in every way. Not enjoyable on hard pack. Super recommend for exclusive soft snow touring and skiing. With Meidjos def consider mounting 2cm back that way you could power up. Love.

grm

Post by grm » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the great info. Likely will go with the v6 close to boot center for now. Voiles advice too, though I love my vectors 1.5cm back. Gonna be adventurous and if they don’t give me the love, will mount back as advised. Cheers.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:24 pm

Nah, V6 mounted -2 or -3 if telemark depending on boot size is the way to go... gain confidence in the tip staying up and able to get low and forward."

I much prefer mounting a good ways back from center/center. Like a good 4cm, anyway. Just my preference; I haven't felt comfortable with the balance of center/center, and have a more upright and centered stance, rather than low and forward.

Can't speak to the V6 specifically as I haven't skied it (though I'm working on buying some used ones from my local shop), but Voile-wise I tried a few mounts on my Objectives. Old school perhaps (OK well for sure at this point in time), but I favor the BOF/CRC as a general rule of thumb. CRC I'm considering as being close to boot center/ski center.