Seeking Guidance On A New Setup

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Seeking Guidance On A New Setup

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:12 pm

If you are trying to decide between plain-jane 3-pin and NNNBC- my advice-

Pick the boot. Then the binding.

If the Alaska is your boot- the BC version is a better boot than the 75.
The only advantage of the Alaska 75 is that you can swap it out for a higher, more supportive 75mm Telemark boot on the same ski.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

grizz_bait

Post by grizz_bait » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Well, a few days ago I bought a pair of Traverse 78s (199cm) and NNN-BC Alpina Alaskas! I've already toured a couple times in the NW corner of Yellowstone Park (an XC skiing wonderland) and had a blast. I've quickly realized I will have to be choosy about conditions to really cover miles, because flotation is not so great in deep snow. Coming from an AT skiing background I should have realized a wider ski would be better for mid-winter trail breaking. No big deal though! Building the quiver sounds like fun,anyway 8-) I think this ski will absolutely sing in a few inches of fresh snow on top of a firm base.

Any pole suggestions? I'm 185 cm and have a pair of 155 cm classic poles for track skiing, but the baskets suck and they're too long in deep snow. I also have a pair of Black Diamond Traverse poles but can't find the damn wrist straps. They also get kinda bendy at longer lengths, too. The Asnes poles with the long adjustable straps look pretty cool, can't seem to find a US retailer though.

Hoping to post some trip reports soon!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:07 am

The Swix Mountain Touring is a pretty good pole. Solid, long lengths, big basket.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 am

grizz_bait wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 pm
. The Asnes poles with the long adjustable straps look pretty cool, can't seem to find a
I got a pair from https://www.lacordee.com/fr/sports-d-hi ... es-ingstad. They are in sale so I guess they come pretty « cheap » with your US$

I have skied them for more than 25 days already and they are getting the job done in all kind of snow. I think they will last way longer than the last 2 pairs of telescopic poles I bought... This time I bought a more « classic » pole... The system to adjust the length ils simple and quite effective. They offer a really long grip zone so you still have some of the advantage offered by a telescopic pole.

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:22 am

Agree, have the same Ingstad pole. Great grip and strap design. I am 6'1", got 145cm. Seems just right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 am

WoodsP thinking I have some Swix poles that have outlasted any pole known to man....The large baskets have all disappeared.....ripped to pieces.....but the poles have a lip that you can force some plain baskets on...We as a group have destroyed all adjustable poles........The reason I can't tell if they are swix is because anything for ornamentation has been rubbed off.....Those buggers don't break!!!! Got the "new ones" back in the 90's....out at Big Mountain for @ nine bucks...er that could have been Telepole.....Fall on them...bash them into trees.....bend the sticks getting up....way mucho pressure....Man I don't want to be part of a crash which breaks them....cause...I'd be a goner!!!!! TM

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

If you're looking for fixed length, I agree with Woods, the Swiss Mountain are very nice and have a good reputation for durability.

What length are your BD Traverse poles? They make a 145 cm max and a 155 cm max. I have the longer ones and they stay pretty stable up to about 145 cm, still quite a bit of the lower piece overlapped into the upper for stability. They definitely feel flimsy if I extend them to the full 155 cm. So if you have the shorter model, sticking with Traverses but upping to the longer model could be your ticket. They're relatively cheap for adjustables, I like that replacement lowers are available separately if you do break a pair (or to carry with you on a trip just in case), and nice big Swix or Asnes aftermarket baskets can be installed with minimal modification and a little gumption.

When I was shopping around a few years ago, the Traverse was the only adjustable pole I could find over ~145cm maxed out. Most adjustables made for Alping Touring / snow shoeing / trekking just don't need to be extended up to XC-type lengths.

Staying with adjustables, Sport Albert has the Asnes Nansen adjustable poles available if you want to order over from Germany (Johnny's rave review here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2745). They are also 155 cm max, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were designed with more inherent "overlap" for stability so that max length is actually usable. Their designs seem to be really well thought out. Same nice new strap system as the Ingstad poles.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:00 am

I have two pair of the BD Traverse poles. One pair I purchased in about 2012 and they are very good. The other pair was purchased last season and they are noodles, total junk. I’ll try to take some photos, maybe there are different models ???? I do know I strongly recommend the older pair, the new pair I would feel guilty if I sold to someone. Absolute noodley junk.

paulk

Post by paulk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:08 pm

If you want a smile on your face at the end of the day, I would lean toward the Traverse 78's since you said you're heavily into touring, not turns. The 78 will give you a nice sturdy BC feel but still kick and glide nice. Unless you need more float in Montana snow (I dont live in the West) Lean toward skinny for touring fun. And yes, I have both mounted with Rottefella Super Telemark 3 pins just fine.