Backcountry ski tour in Norway: boot question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
victor

Backcountry ski tour in Norway: boot question

Post by victor » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:34 am

Hello,

I will participate in an organized multi day back-country skitour on the HardangerVida in Norway at the beginning of march 2020.

We will be in the wild for 6 days with tents, Pulka's and the whole stuff (self supporting)
The organisation proposes to use some standard NNN BC boots but when trying them on, I was not impressed. They didn't fit as I think a boot should fit.

I am considering buying some new Alpina Alaska NNN BC boots as they give me the impressing to be sturdy but comfortable boots. (I'am used to heavy C hiking boots)
BUT:
As I'm not sure I will do more backcountry "expeditions" in the future I'm looking for alternative usage of those Alpina boots.
So.
- Can I use those Alpina alaska boot a a proper warm winter/snow hiking boot?
- Can I use those boots to go snowshoeing?

It would give me two more excuses to buy those. :D

kind regards,
Victor

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Backcountry ski tour in Norway: boot question

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:57 pm

what is some standard NNN BC boot?

For 6 days, maybe you can make them work.

NNN-BC soles are best for skiing. You can do otherthings with them, but if so, you'd be better off with a standard winter boot.

Perhaps take skiing up as a sport full-time? you will make better use of your Alaska puchse that way?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:11 pm

I would NOT recommend any NNN BC boot for hiking; it would be much too easy to damage the toe bar, and ruin the boot.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:37 pm

NNN-BC boots certainly don't all fit the same. Try a different brand (if possible). I got rid of my Alpina BC-1550's when I found the Rossi BCX-6 fit perfectly.

victor

Post by victor » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:03 am

bgregoire wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:57 pm
what is some standard NNN BC boot?

For 6 days, maybe you can make them work.
I think it are Alpina BC-1600. They didn't fit as it should. So I'm afraid to get blisters on a 6 day tour and that would ruin the experience..

bgregoire wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:57 pm
Perhaps take skiing up as a sport full-time? you will make better use of your Alaska puchse that way?
As I'm living in Belgium and have to drive at least 1000km to get some quality snow... It is unfortunately no option.

victor

Post by victor » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:05 am

phoenix wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:11 pm
I would NOT recommend any NNN BC boot for hiking; it would be much too easy to damage the toe bar, and ruin the boot.
Is the toe bar that fragile? Hiking in the snow can't be that hard for such a toe-bar?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:28 am

Victor, tu peux t'acheter de nouvelles bottes pour un voyage unique de 6 jours, le choix est entièrement le tiens. Je te recommande plutot de protéger tes talons avec un ruban du genre Hypafix. Aussi, tu peux choisir une paire de bottes plus grande et utiliser une paire de bas de laine et/ou semelle supplémentaires dans le but de te garder plus chaud. Je recommande aussi des bas coupe-vapeur pour des expéditions en autonomie de plus de 3 jours. Voir mon "review" sur les bottes Alfa Polar ici pour plus d'infos.

En passant, j'ai une paire de Alpina Alaska 45EU avec super-guètre Yéti Extrem intégré si cela ferait ton bonheur. Je les ai à vendre à bon prix. Contactes moi en message privé si cela t'intéresse.

Bon ski.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:52 am

Hello and Welcome Victor,

The outsoles of all Nordic ski boots- IMO, NN/NNN/NNNBC- are all very sensitive to damage if hiking on anything other than snow. I have seriously damaged both NNNBC and 3-pin 75mm (NN) boots hiking/walking. The Vibram outsole of a 3-pin 75mm boot definitely offers better hiking traction than a NNNBC outsole, but the treads do not protect the 3-pin holes and the duckbill!

I always carry a heavy-duty tape to cover and protect the toe of my boots if I discover I have to walk out any trail/road that is not snow-covered. However, if I know I am going to have to do any significant hiking- I always bring proper hiking/mountaineering boots with me (i.e carry them in a pack or sled).

Snowshoeing with a Nordic touring boot is totally fine- I do it all the time.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:02 pm

"I would NOT recommend any NNN BC boot for hiking; it would be much too easy to damage the toe bar, and ruin the boot."

"Is the toe bar that fragile? Hiking in the snow can't be that hard for such a toe-bar?"

Hiking in snow would not be an issue, and the bar itself is pretty sturdy. That said, kick stepping in snow and hitting a rock underneath could be a real problem. The failure point is usually the bar ripping out of the molded sole - there's not all that much holding on in there.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 pm

phoenix wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:02 pm
"I would NOT recommend any NNN BC boot for hiking; it would be much too easy to damage the toe bar, and ruin the boot."

"Is the toe bar that fragile? Hiking in the snow can't be that hard for such a toe-bar?"

Hiking in snow would not be an issue, and the bar itself is pretty sturdy. That said, kick stepping in snow and hitting a rock underneath could be a real problem. The failure point is usually the bar ripping out of the molded sole - there's not all that much holding on in there.
I really need to just tear down a NNNBC boot...
I have been told that the bar is actually attached to some sort of metal frame that extends back into the sole of the boot. Does anybody know if this is true? Or is the bar in a NNNBC sole really just floating in that plastic outsole?
Since my conversion to NNNBC- in the 12 years that I have been charging through the hills on NNNBC I have a bar or two that has a bit of play, but I have yet to see one rip right out of the sole...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.