Rossignol BC 100 Positrack

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
treehugger

Rossignol BC 100 Positrack

Post by treehugger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Haven’t seen any reviews and only minimal comments on forum. Has anyone tried or looked at the Rossignol BC 100 Positrack? I have heard Rossignol nordic skis don’t have the best rep but these have some features that I’m interested in.

With a 100/80/90 sidecut it should provide decent float and good tracking for touring in deep powder. Very light at claimed weight of 4 lb 6 oz (which is pound less than S-Bound 98) with light weight tips (Air tip technology), rocker and a tapered tail.

Not sure about quality of construction, efficiency of wax less base, camber and flex but the ski design/concept seems suited to what I’m looking for in a touring powder ski for low angle powder.

These are listed for $400US at REI and Backcountry which led me to believe maybe a step up in quality but then saw them listed for $329 on Rossignol’s site which is confusing.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Rossignol BC 100 Positrack

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 pm

I have only handled them and flexed them in the shop.

The waxless scaled base still sucks.

I personally don't see how they could be better than an Annum, an S-Bound 112, or even the outgoing Rossi BC-110 thatit replaces...

Would love to try it though I cannot imagine I would like it as much as my Annum or my Ingstad...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:38 pm

So I'm correct in assumption that Rossignol doesn't make a decent nordic ski? Was hoping they improved wax less bases as I've heard they're pretty weak.

I'm sure your FT62 Asnes would be better choice. Wish they were available wax less but of course a wax less base that doesn't work is worst possible option.

Saw a review but it was in French so not too helpful. At least I got to see profile. Looked like early rise rocker with fairly high tip as opposed to just rocker when flexing. Still really like the features of this ski.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:46 pm

If you really like the Rossignol, why not get both the better sintered, and the better waxless pattern in a Fischer S-bound. At one time they were rumored to be made in the same factory, with different bases and topsheet.
If you read Lilcliffy’s review of the Ingstad and Annum you will understand the difference in flex between the Fischer (Rossignol) and the Annum. Perhaps your snow pack is different? If you want a waxless ski, the Ingstad is available waxless from REI I believe.
Good luck, and good skiing on the ski you choose.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:17 pm

treehugger wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Saw a review but it was in French so not too helpful.
If you want a translation there is many of us that speaks french so we sure can help... and it’s better than a google translation ;)

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:35 am

I look at them twice at the shop... The new BC collection is a little better than it was (very easy... they were crappy in my views regarding design). They reduce the sidecut, add a little rocker, etc... But the camber: very stiff. It makes sens in the BC 65 (best design of the lot, theoretically speaking). But the BC 100 has still the specs of a downhill ski with a camber similar to a XC ski... I wonder why they didn't learn from Karhu, Madshus (and Fischer, to some extent); with a ski like that, you need camber and 1/2, max, and relatively soft. The BC 120 is just the old new Seek 7; they just went through bad recycling... I would really like to know the premisses of the R&D development for that collection. Funny: I talked to a salesman about that... It was new stuff for him so he didn't know much. I had him test the camber and he was really surprised... I talked about the old collection with a ski maker (former Karhu) and he also was very «perplexe» about the design... Conclusion: do not waste your time and money...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:17 pm
treehugger wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Saw a review but it was in French so not too helpful.
If you want a translation there is many of us that speaks french so we sure can help... and it’s better than a google translation ;)
Thanks for the offer but lost my interest in these.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:35 am
I look at them twice at the shop... The new BC collection is a little better than it was (very easy... they were crappy in my views regarding design). They reduce the sidecut, add a little rocker, etc... But the camber: very stiff. It makes sens in the BC 65 (best design of the lot, theoretically speaking). But the BC 100 has still the specs of a downhill ski with a camber similar to a XC ski... I wonder why they didn't learn from Karhu, Madshus (and Fischer, to some extent); with a ski like that, you need camber and 1/2, max, and relatively soft. The BC 120 is just the old new Seek 7; they just went through bad recycling... I would really like to know the premisses of the R&D development for that collection. Funny: I talked to a salesman about that... It was new stuff for him so he didn't know much. I had him test the camber and he was really surprised... I talked about the old collection with a ski maker (former Karhu) and he also was very «perplexe» about the design... Conclusion: do not waste your time and money...
Thanks for the feedback. Haven't heard anything good about them so taking these out of the consideration.

Also thanks to fisheater and lilcliffy for your input. As far as discussing other options I think I'just l comment in my earlier post so as not to go over previous territory again.

Elavigne
Ski style: long-distance domination
Favorite Skis: Wood
Favorite boots: Leather

Post by Elavigne » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:23 pm

Hey there treehugger,

Just got about four days out with my new Rossignol BC Positrack 100's and I must say that I love them!

I had the chance to take them out in a wide variety of conditions, terrains and temperatures (Windblown, POWDER, groomers, trail and crud). So, I now feel comfortable talking about them a bit.

The Setup

The plan was the mount a set-up that could carry me for some long days, all while being able to deliver on some burlier downhill runs. I must say, I think I've nailed it. But this is, of course, only a personal preference. I'm a fit young lad and can put in days just as long on my super heavy touring gear with skins, targa bindings, 110 elans and four-buckle boots.

So the Positrack set up is as follows:

Ski: Rossignol BC Positrack 100's
Binding: Voile 3-pin (with removeable cables)
Boots: Old-school scarpa 2's (You know, the soft green boot with two buckles?)

Flats

I've skied the above-mentioned set-up over flats and found it to be very cruisey. I weigh about 180 lbs and the combination of fish scales and camber make the ski act the same way a classic XC ski would with a well-waxed pocket. In fact, I found I had quite a bit of kick with a very fast and effortless glide. So the Positrack absolutely gets like a 9.5/10 for me.
My only complaint would be that the tips dont always rise above the snow when walking on flats. but honestly, that may now be the ski's fault - could've just been the tiny sun-crust here in northern BC.

Uphill

Don't expect the fish-scales the carry you up the same slope angles that skins could. HOWEVER, be pleasantly surprised when you're climbing at the rate one should be climbing. In other words, the positrack won't carry you up some euro-style uptracks commonly found on grizzly shoulder at Roger's Pass. :lol: What the fish scales will do is force you to make some conservative climbing decisions.

For example, I climbed to the top of Powder King ski resort a few days ago via one of their green runs - no switchbacks necessary. That was about the upper limit of what the waxless base could do, I was pleasantly surprised at the ease with which they could carry me up a quick fitness lap :) (8/10)

Also: I found an old (OLD) pair of XC skins at Boomtown sports in Nelson. Those will forever live in my pack when I take out my positracks in case of emergency lol.

Downhill

These skis SHRED. I got the priviledge to try them out on groomers, ankle deep pow and knee-deep pow. and they performed really well in all cases. (It is worth keeping in mind that these descents were made with cables on and boots tightened up, too!)

Notably: The tips kept popping up to the surface and seemed to track well in a variety of snow conditions. There is a nice rocker in the tip, too, that really only becomes apparent at speeds. Also, for a ski with a narrow underfoot, it skied really (really) well in deep snow. It did not even feel like I needed to get up to speed or sacrifice steeze or shred to achieve a nice arc.
So downhill gets like a 10/10.

TL;DR:

Great ski. Lots of fun. Enjoy tearing up the backcountry!
Flat: 9.5/10
Uphill: 8/10
Downhill 10/10

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:59 pm

Elavigne!!!

Thank you so much for this excellent report-review on the current BC100!!

Please consider posting this as a review in the review section!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.