Broke my favorite resort skis :'( telebry saved my legs. Anyone know where to find used k2 sidestash?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Re: Broke my favorite resort skis :'( telebry saved my legs. Anyone know where to find used k2 sidestash?

Post by Telecat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:10 am

Lowangle al: unfortunately only a few inches here in the Hudson valley, I assume they got more in the mountains, but I wont be up in the catskills for a couple days. I'd assume they got 5+ inches up there.

Rod: I never mess with those Ptex candles, they're a pain, have a noxious smell when burning, and the repairs never stay in.

I bought a p-tex iron from tognar, and it works great for pure ptex, and metal grip. I've repaired a few core shots with these materials and jts always worked great. I haven't bought the sheets of ptex, I'm not sure why. But I guess my thought it that it would just be easier and more reliable to fill it in with the soldering iron and ptex strings than trying to cut it and glue it down with epoxy.

As far as the epoxy I used. I've used 2 ton before and had generally good results. But yeah it has cracked in the past. I always try researching the best epoxy for ski repairs, and there are so many opinions and so many kinds. It gets hard to wrap your head around! Thanks for the brand recommendation though! I'll try out the GB weld in a future repair. I'm hoping that the repair being underfoot means it wont crack and flex tooooooo much. I'll keep and eye on it each time I ski and see if it cracks, and if I have to rip it (or chisel it) out I'll try the GB weld.
I figured the 2 ton wont be too terrible since it has a 24 hour cure time.

Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Re: Broke my favorite resort skis :'( telebry saved my legs. Anyone know where to find used k2 sidestash?

Post by Telecat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 pm

For anyone who wants an update:

I welded a the ptex down a couple nights ago, and then filed the edge down last night. Gave them a waxing and was relieved to be done.

I went skiing on them today, worked great, everything held together. No cracking in the epoxy or anything. Though I'm going be keeping an eye on it.

Pic of the final results:
20200121_011812.jpg

isbjorn

Post by isbjorn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:11 am

I would go to TGR and post in the "half a pair thread." I'm always amazed at what turns up in people's garages.