G3 Tonics?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

G3 Tonics?

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Anyone have experience on these? There's a pair I can pick up at a very good price; they'd be for powder days/soft snow only.

Andy M
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Re: G3 Tonics?

Post by Andy M » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 pm

I haven't skied them, but I almost picked up a pair when the model was being discontinued. They got good reviews back then, and apparently they were one of G3's most popular models.

Below is a review on wildsnow.com; be sure to read the comments at the bottom too -- there's some good info there.

https://www.wildsnow.com/2527/g3-tonic-ski-review/
Last edited by Andy M on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Good review; they sound like what I'm looking for, but I dunno about the 8lbs. weight. My old World Piste's were great crodbusters at that weight, but kinda heavy for a skinny little guy like me. Gotta look at 'em again.

fisheater
XCD Guide
XCD Guide

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 am

Phoenix, I’m just curious. If you are happy with your Objectives, why wouldn’t you go to the V-6 if you wanted to be close to 100 mm underfoot? I’ve never heard a bad review. They are a bit expensive, but I personally would rather stuff dollars away in an envelope knowing I will have a great ski. After I put holes in a ski, I’d be lucky to get good value selling them. Then I would still be buying the Voile ski. Just what I’m thinking. Good luck no matter your choice.
Hope you got good snow from that last system.

phoenix
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by phoenix » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Fisheater, your reasoning is sound, and I'd love to have a pair of V6's. In fact, the same shop has a pair they display with the Tonics, but, he says he's not selling them; they're his wife's and just for show out front, I guess.
It's the price that's the problem; I'm a rich man in many ways, but money isn't one of them. If I found a used pair, I'd grab 'em. The Objectives, Excursions, and BMD bindings I invested in a couple years back were my big purchase for awhile (I bought gear at shop discounts for decades. Oh yeah, and the (used) Waybacks & Bulldogs last year. Full retail prices and low income don't balance well).

fisheater
XCD Guide
XCD Guide

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:08 pm

I understand that position quite well Phoenix. I guess I could drop money on more equipment I really don’t need anything more than I have. When I have time to ski more, will I have snow? Will I be able to afford to travel or relocate to snow?
Since I don’t know, I’ll just be happy I’m tired from a good ski. Now I’m going to really enjoy a hot shower as soon as I finish this cold beer.
Life is good, some folks call ‘em weeds, they look like wild flowers to me.
Cheers