Scott Voodoo NTN won’t lock into Outlaw X

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dnt_upton

Re: Scott Voodoo NTN won’t lock into Outlaw X

Post by dnt_upton » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

And having Dynafit licensed fittings also doesn't mean that Scott, Crispi, or Scarpa will be consistent in setting the distance between the tech toes and the duck butt. Once a standard is established, then I assume they will be.

And as TomH notes, that's not the issue here.

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 pm

I was confusing the Outlaw X with the Lynx.

TeleForce

Post by TeleForce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 am

After frustration with trying to step into an Outlaw X binding with my Voodoo boots I did some engineering and solved the issue. See below. Scott told me to just file away some material from the duck butt adapter. They didn't say where or how much. After some measuring, observing and testing in the garage I came up with the fixes below.

1) File extra material away from tech inserts. Aids ease of insertion into the toe.
2) Radius the Duck butt adapter. The edges are what miss the Outlaw Claw.
3) Assemble the duck butt as far toward the toe as possible. I measured the Voodoo at 178mm and the Scarpa at 176mm.
4) Sticky claw fix by filing the claw. This is a known issue.

With the above fixes the step in ease into an Outlaw X is greatly improved.
Scott Boot Bottom.jpeg
Scott Boot Toe.jpeg

TeleSteveAbasin

Post by TeleSteveAbasin » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 pm

I'll confirm the problem. I have both Crispi Evo and Scott Voodoo boots. Both work with the Outlaw X, but it is harder to get the Voodoo boots in.

I've done some quick measurements, the toe to heel of the Voodoo appears to be slightly longer, perhaps 0.030 inch. The thickness of the toe is 0.610 vs 0.665 inch, Voodoo is thicker. I think this is the issue. The binding presents a 0.750 opening from my quick measurement of my Outlaw and Outlaw X set up.

What really matters is to get the toe pushed all the way in. I use my ski pole to push the binding into the boot. Then I watch the claw as I step down. I can tell if I have the correct angle by watching.

This is anecdotal, but my Outlaw's have ski brakes, my Outlaw X do not. Perhaps the brakes help shove the toe into the binding.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:09 am

last season I skied some very old TXP's with the OutlawX. it was basically impossible to step-in unless I was in tour mode. this year I have new TXP's and the step-in to the Outlaws works as it should in ski mode.