Outlaw-X Snaps

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TopGunSR
Favorite Skis: Summit Cone Pariah

Outlaw-X Snaps

Post by TopGunSR » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:24 pm

IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
Anyone else had this happen? This is the fourth time for me. Not exactly sure how a sub-120 pound person can snap dual 1/4" stainless extrusions like that.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Outlaw-X Snaps

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 pm

What did Eric say? Did you get the bindings through him too?

willco99

Post by willco99 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 am

I had the same thing happen to me at the end of the season last year. I am heavier than you 175lb) and pretty aggressive skier, but was still surprised by that level of failure. It snapped as I was dropping in a mogul line...ruined a great run lol.

I warranteed it directly with 22 designs. They sent me 2 replacement rear assemblies because I told them I wasn't too psyched to ski on the other one waiting for it to snap....

So far so good this season with the replacement assemblies.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Heart of the matter regarding stainless steel:
"Basic Metallurgy
Stainless steel is basically iron with sides of nickel, chromium and carbon. Together they make a metal that’s very hard and virtually immune to corrosion. It’s hardness can be an issue though because that makes stainless difficult to machine and form. Bend it too far and it cracks."

(From https://www.wileymetal.com/aluminum-ext ... ect-guide/)
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:13 pm

TopGunSR wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:24 pm
From the picture, it looks like you don't have enough tension on the springs. It's of course hard to tell without the orange claw on there, but you might confirm that you're setting that correctly.

songshun

Post by songshun » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:49 am

maybe the steel material is not good. Looks like the strength is not enough.
Maybe can try other steels, such as 52100 steel round bar, 4340 steel, 4140 steel, 6150 steel and etc

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 pm

I’m curious, do you guys remember in which meteorological conditions did you break your Outlaws? From my computer screen this looks really similar to the Rottefella toe cup problem. The toe cup had 2 issues, stress concentration and ductile-to-brittle transition.

First, the stress concentration in the bending of the rod. Stress concentrations occur when there are irregularities in the geometry of the material that cause an interruption to the flow of stress, the rupture seems to stat exactly on the end of the bend.

If the temperature was cold enough (-20C) when the snap occur, I might suspect also a ductile-to-brittle transition. (DBTT ductile-to-brittle-transition temperature) is a phenomenon that is widely observed in metals but too often underestimated but the ski designer. Below critical temperature (DBTT), the material suddenly loss ductility and becomes brittle. All ferrous materials exhibit a transition from ductile to brittle.

If anyone has a broken pair of binding that is not under warranty anymore for sale, i’d like to give it a try. I’m pretty sure I can come up with a permanent solution...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:19 am

Bri7 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 pm
From my computer screen this looks really similar to the Rottefella toe cup problem. The toe cup had 2 issues, stress concentration and ductile-to-brittle transition.
FWIW, I remember trying really hard to find a correlation between binding failures and temperature/conditions but couldn't find any. I broke as many Freerides when it was -20C as when it was +10C... Icy bumps or spring corn didn't make any difference... :?
I’m pretty sure I can come up with a permanent solution...
Trust me, he sure can. 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Bri7 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 pm
If the temperature was cold enough (-20C) when the snap occur, I might suspect also a ductile-to-brittle transition. (DBTT ductile-to-brittle-transition temperature) is a phenomenon that is widely observed in metals but too often underestimated but the ski designer. Below critical temperature (DBTT), the material suddenly loss ductility and becomes brittle. All ferrous materials exhibit a transition from ductile to brittle.
@Bri7
Perhaps a little more nickel sprinkled in?

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:02 pm

@Bri7
Perhaps a little more nickel sprinkled in?
Too much variables, too less informations.

Which kind of SS was used? Martensitic, austhenitic or ferretic? Was the bend perform under heating? Is there a HAZ (heat affected zone) on the rod?

I’d like to see how titanium perform on that king of binding. I have a rod somewhere sitting in the garage...

Please make me a killer deal on your broken bindings!