I've started training for next season....

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

I've started training for next season....

Post by bauerb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 am

well I got in my 5 days of Tele skiing this year and they were all epic. I learned a few things:

1. my daily max is 5-6hrs of lift served skiing, about 18-20k vert per day
2. I am able to ski well for 4hrs per day by skiing parallel turns about 50% of the time
3. the last 2-3 runs of the day / last hour are more of what I call survival skiing, rather than technically correct and fun skiing
4. I almost always ski with alpine skiers who are much faster than me. this forces me to ski faster than I like. I prefer to ski one pitch at a time, pick a line, make great turns, rinse and repeat. that rhythm is basically impossible when skiing with alpine cruisers like my son
5. I have the tech skills hardcoded from years of skiing, but my conditioning fails me and my legs stop executing what my brain tells them to.

Some goals for off season training in 2020

1. get to a place where I can run 6 miles 2-3 times per week. last year I tried running 1 mile everyday and started having knee problems. I need to work up to the 6 mile goal very slowly. hopefully my mid-summer I am at a place where I can run a few 5k and maybe 10k races.
2. continue with my StairMaster interval workouts including my heavily crouched "TeleMaster" position which hammers your quads
3. Introduce Plyometric box jump intervals. 2 leg and 1 leg. the power to lift my entire body weight on 1 leg is insufficient
4. Strengthen my back, upper and lower. long days over many years of sitting at a desk as weakened my back muscles
5. the good news is that my body weight is where it should be. the stair master last year added leg mass, more running in 2020 should balance that out a bit

6. buy some new( used) Tele skis bindings from somewhere. I like the Outlaws I skied last week. prob a 98 width ski in 170ish length.

MSU Alum
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Re: I've started training for next season....

Post by MSU Alum » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Are you in a place where you can mountain bike?
It's way more fun than running and easier on your knees. It also strengthens your lower back.

If you are experiencing knee pain at shorter distances, you may do more harm than good running; especially if you are determined to up the distance. It would be a shame if you put in all that effort and damaged your knees. Knees love the motion of cycling.

The stats you're describing aren't bad - especially given that you can only get in a small number of days. One thing you can do, if you are on Scarpas, is adjust the forward lean one notch in the more vertical. It will put slightly more of your weight down through your skeleton Vs. your quads. It may be enough to make a difference in endurance, inbounds.

lowangle al
XCD Guide
XCD Guide

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:04 am

Running short distances hurt my knees too so I gave it up, and that was almost 30 years ago. I think my knees are better now, but like MSU alum said, there are more fun ways to get it done.

I think you'd get the most benefit from strength training, squats, dead lifts, lunges and if you're touring go heavy on calf raises.

bauerb
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by bauerb » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm

gonna skip those calf raises. my calves got huge from years of road and mtn bike racing. I almost couldn't get the top buckle on my Crispis buckled, the scarpas are better for big calves...