Johnny, Pierre, and the beast. Or the new Telemark Tech Norm (TTN) vs the future of XCD (NTN-BC)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
zonca
Ski style: Classic xc/w scales, TTS Telemark
Favorite Skis: Moonlight Eagle
Favorite boots: TXP, F1Race, F1

Re: Johnny, Pierre, and the beast. Or the new Telemark Tech Norm (TTN) vs the future of XCD (NTN-BC)

Post by zonca » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:05 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am
zonca wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 09.16.17.png[/attachment Since these pins move in and out ... [/quote] What do you mean exactly? The pins don't seem to move in and out... to me at least — but I am not sure. There are gutters that align the pins and they probably snap in place with pressure. The lever seems to act as a locker for the pins. And in and out of the binding will de-ice them... [/quote] You might be right but I'm not certain. If the arms flex and the pins are fixed OK. I think I see that depressing the lever will push the pin in so that boot can come out and wouldn't need a lock out mode. This will be clear once JL can speak. [attachment=0]Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 14.06.13.png
What do you mean exactly? The pins don't seem to move in and out... to me at least — but I am not sure. There are gutters that align the pins and they probably snap in place with pressure. The lever seems to act as a locker for the pins. And in and out of the binding will de-ice them...
You might be right but I'm not certain. If the arms flex and the pins are fixed OK. I think I see that depressing the lever will push the pin in so that boot can come out and wouldn't need a lock out mode. This will be clear once JL can speak.
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 14.06.13.png
I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Algonquin Nation

aquamogal

Re: Johnny, Pierre, and the beast. Or the new Telemark Tech Norm (TTN) vs the future of XCD (NTN-BC)

Post by aquamogal » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:39 pm

https://scandinavianoutdooraward.com/al ... Q-RRqThvfM

just saw this the other day passing along, sorry if redundant

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:31 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:09 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:02 pm
What saves the skier from "going-over-the-handlebars" and the "rear-foot-tippy-toes" with this platform?
Technique.
Ha!

Thanks for the tip!

So- no way to adjust the resistance as it is built into the binding plate- and cannot be changed?
No way to replace the resistance once it has worn out- other than buying a new binding plate?
(I have yet to replace an NNNBC binding- but I have certainly replaced worn out flexors- I love them- they are CHEAP- they are like the magic of a replaceable rim sprocket on a chainsaw!)

And if that "bumper/flexor" on the binding plate is resistant enough to contribute to some power-transfer and facilitate transferring to the glide phase in kick and glide skiing (i.e. bringing the glide ski forwards)- then won't it be too much resistance for efficient climbing?

For example- I CANNOT STAND XC/downhill skiing without the flexor installed in an NNNBC binding- but I take it out if I have to do an extended climb with full skins.

And as far as technique-

"Old Merve"- a professional timber faller (and personal mentor)- used to say to me:
"Anyone who claims they have never lost a tree is either a <frackin> liar or has never cut a tree!"

All that being said- I would love to try this system out!
The price will be out of reach and need for me for quite some time!
Looking forward to reading/watching reports/tests of the real thing!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:02 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:31 pm
And if that "bumper/flexor" on the binding plate is resistant enough to contribute to some power-transfer and facilitate transferring to the glide phase in kick and glide skiing (i.e. bringing the glode ski forwards)- then won't it it be a too much resistance for efficient climbing?

For example- I CANNOT STAND XC/downhill skiing without the flexor installed in an NNNBC binding- but I take it out if I have to do an extended climb with full skins.
I can only hope/assume they found the sweet spot, just the right amount of resistance.

IDK, maybe the flexor will be replaceable and come in a few flavours.

I can't stand skiing NNNBC without the flexors. But I do have a hard time imagining I would feel happier if I too the time to remove the flexors on long climbs. Do you ski only with black flexors? Maybe I would consider it with stiffer ones, but all my more downhill fun type skis have 3pins or more anyways.

Take care. Snow is coming. It has to.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:49 pm

I use the soft- standard- black NNNBC flexors (though I keep planning on buying the medium (red) and stiffest (white?) to try them out downhill).

I rarely take them out- but I will on occasion if I am expecting a very long steep climb- only takes a couple of seconds to pop them out and plug them back in.

TeleMarcin

Post by TeleMarcin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Video take on the new system :

SawtoothsFNG
Ski style: XCd newb; whatever gets me out with my dog
Favorite boots: Salomon X-ALP Explore (AT)

Post by SawtoothsFNG » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm

nordictec.jpg

No skis were harmed in the making of this prototype...

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:44 pm

I go back and forth on this system. Its intriguing, but kinda feels like second fiddle to skimo/tech.
Is it just aesthetics?
"Skimo/tech is hot right now, lets make a free heel copy of it".
That being said if that new alfa boot turns like a t4 and the binding tours like nnnbc, Im interested. If not, its a waste of time. I do still like the idea of binding compatible crampons and snowshoes though

A lightweight NTN boot and meidjo is more interesting to me, but damn all that stuff is expensive. With STs and NNNBC bindings under $100 and compatible boots $300 or less, I might be content with just honing my technique. Strap on crampons and snowshoes are a pretty minor inconvenience really.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:04 pm

SawtoothsFNG wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm
nordictec.jpg

No skis were harmed in the making of this prototype...
Very cool!
What stops you from going over the handle bars?

SawtoothsFNG
Ski style: XCd newb; whatever gets me out with my dog
Favorite boots: Salomon X-ALP Explore (AT)

Post by SawtoothsFNG » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:17 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:04 pm
Very cool!
What stops you from going over the handle bars?

Just whipped it up this afternoon. During a 5 minute function test, it felt very similar to the old SNS bindings that were originally mounted on those skis. Will be taking it out longer tomorrow!