XCD - the past and future of skiing?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MartinF
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Re: XCD - the past and future of skiing?

Post by MartinF » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 pm

treehugger wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:53 am
This is all academic. Ski resorts are more prepared than most to weather shut downs.
Here in Europe, it's reliable snow I see retreating uphill year by year.

I wouldn't book a Christmas skiing vacation in the resort we regularly went to ten years ago. Snow never seems to suffice until January there, now. Then it may or may not last until late March. 20 years ago, we didn't think twice about going there for Easter.

Woodserson
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Asnes Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 pm

MartinF wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 pm
treehugger wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:53 am
This is all academic. Ski resorts are more prepared than most to weather shut downs.
Here in Europe, it's reliable snow I see retreating uphill year by year.

I wouldn't book a Christmas skiing vacation in the resort we regularly went to ten years ago. Snow never seems to suffice until January there, now. Then it may or may not last until late March. 20 years ago, we didn't think twice about going there for Easter.
Which resort Martin?

In Switzerland my parents rent the little apt they purchased over 40 years ago during the winter season (pays the yearly bills, barely), and seasonal rentals were the norm with the big focus on being in the village during Christmas and New Years. We still rent seasonally, but renters don't want it until after 15th January now. Brutal. I can't remember snow in the village (1000m) since forever for Christmas.

MartinF
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by MartinF » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 pm
Which resort Martin?
Bolsterlang in Germany, some 10 km from the Austrian border. The village is about 900 m above sea level, the highest starting point is at roughly 1,700 m. So it's comparable to your place.

When the snow started to get unreliable, I would get up very early if necessary and take the school bus to Oberstdorf - change for the Kleinwalsertal area in Austria and start out about 300 m higher up. Did that so often that we now simply rent an apartment in Kleinwalsertal. We feel a bit bad about it, because many people in Bolsterlang are real friends, some of them known to my wife since 1966 when she first visited as a child. So we know how they struggle, especially the skiing instructors. The slopes can still be crowded on good days, but almost all the number plates then indicate spontaneous visitors from south German cities relatively close by.