Learning to TELE IN CANADA

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ittius

Learning to TELE IN CANADA

Post by Ittius » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Hey there, this will be my first season doing the tele ( coming from snowboarding) and i was wondering is there any groups, clubs, individuals that you guys now of in Vancouver BC that can teach me to Tele??
Come find me Down Under

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Learning to TELE IN CANADA

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 am

Hey Ittius,

There's a lot going on in Canada in the telemark world... But anyone who wants to teach must be a member of CANSI, the Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors. Check out their website at http://www.cansi.ca. I know a lot of people who did the Level I Instructor course just to learn the basics. (And you get a license to teach as a bonus..! : )

But "official" teachers and lessons are expensive... So yeah, you better look for a friend to show you the basics... Or get some books, there's some very good ones...

Stay in touch with BC Telemark Ski, they always have some nice events...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

teledance

Post by teledance » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Ditto to what LJ said on BC Telemark , they do have some gatherings to encourage new tele skiers as well as the races.

paulpalf

Post by paulpalf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:58 am

Hey Ittius,
A group of us ski Cypress tuesday nights. Once upon a time it was all tele, now there only a couple of us left and everyone else has switched to AT.
You are welcome to tag along and we can do a little teaching. Keep an eye out for the group of mostly Brits and Irish.
I'm the tall one in a blue/yellow ski jacket. Bumblebee T1s.

Also, the alpine club sometimes does tele nights up at cypress.

Paul
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

Ittius

Post by Ittius » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:46 am

Hey all thank you for the advice, i will defiantly check our BC telemark, I've also tried BC mountain clubs and asked around at stores. Thank you again.

@Paul thanks for the offer, i will defiantly take you up on it ones i've learned my basics. I will also be based at Cypress which is a huge plus. If you see a short Asian Aussie trying to tele with bright red pants on, then that would be me, come say high. :lol:
Come find me Down Under

paulpalf

Post by paulpalf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:45 am

Will do Ittius.
Forgot to mention - get a copy of the book "allen and mike's really cool telemark tips" it's really helpful. Cartoons drawn by the guy from MAD magazine! MEC used to sell it, not sure if they still have it.

Paul