Moving binding for better grip

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Moving binding for better grip

Post by Woodserson » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 pm

I bet Phoenix has this answer.

I have a pair of Fischer Country WAX.

I like the Country series for a classic in track ski that works on packed snowmobile trails too. They are cheap, dependable, and straightforward. I have both a CROWN and WAX. They are both mounted on balance point, and that point is the same for both pairs of skis. (Fischer's consistency on product is phenomenal. I bought a spare set of E-99 Xtralites this winter for supercheap, and the 2019/20 ski is only 4 grams different from my 2012(?) ski. That's consistency. Amazing.)

I need more grip on my Country WAX ski though. I'm just slipping a bit too much and I don't ski them as a result. I am thinking of moving the bindings forward a bit to increase grip.

How much? 1cm? 1.5cm? 2cm?

This is Covid-lots-of-time-on-my-hands talk here, I'm really parsing the millimeters and got nothing else going on. (that's not true, but nothing skiing related)

greatgt

Re: Moving binding for better grip

Post by greatgt » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 am

If they are on balance point....leave the binding there and work on waxing.....This year have used swix white...green....blue...blue extra...pink....red....use bones when it gets to warm....TM

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:46 am

greatgt wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 am
If they are on balance point....leave the binding there and work on waxing.....This year have used swix white...green....blue...blue extra...pink....red....use bones when it gets to warm....TM
I'm a TOKO guy myself. Mint, Blue, Red, Yellow, all with nice little twisty cartridges so I'm not peeling aluminum in subzero temps.

7 out of 10 of my XC skis are wax skis. I think I got it. My Country WAXs have a a pretty deep pocket, the deepest of any of the others. I'm tiring of layering many layers under foot and stretch the wax miles ahead. I thought moving the binding might help, like the adjustable NNN bindings they have now.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 am

Why not waxing a longer area? Moving the binding forward will also have an effect on the on-piste caracteristics (I know that you know). Yeah, you are right, plenty of time to be anal about all those things with the covid... But here there is still pretty good snow. So, skiing I do go...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 am

Thats what I've been doing but it takes a lot of wax. I use this strictly as a track ski, so I'm not too worried about turning or anything.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:16 am

Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:23 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 am
I use this strictly as a track ski, so I'm not too worried about turning or anything.
I meant, it may change your diagonal stride a bit (with the back ski). But this is theorical... I changed 3 times my binding mount on my Glittertind; once because I ripped it out of the ski, 2sd because a stupido did a bad mounting and it had to be redone. In brief, on BP, back and now fore... I saw a little difference in feel, in turns too, but not that much. And i got used to it. So, please yourself! Do it!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but this, in a nutshell:
"If they are on balance point....leave the binding there and work on waxing."

Personally, I wouldn't think about moving the binding to expect better grip. Unless you're not mounted correctly to begin with. Don't be afraid to extend your wax pocket, or wax full length, if you're not already. A thinner, smoother coat full length would be a good place to start; add wax or change color if required.

Tele2$room2$broom

Post by Tele2$room2$broom » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Yeah! Full length klister...