Check this new binding?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Dirtbag

Check this new binding?

Post by Dirtbag » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Check this new binding?

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Available for pre-order today for 700$ USD...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:04 pm

GTFO.

I'd rather ski NNN-BC than pay that for a binding.

dschane

Post by dschane » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I think it's actually a bit less, around $570 but still high for bindings. But kudos to the dude who has been developing this thing.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Good thing tele skiers are usually rich guys who can dump loads of cash on a binding. What's a Dynafit Radical go for these days?

Nice thought. Maybe a nice product. Cost model doesn't work. But maybe that logic doesn't apply to tele?

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:14 pm

MikeK wrote:GTFO.

I'd rather ski NNN-BC than pay that for a binding.
WTF Bro! That's only half or less of what the dudes buying that binding will spend on their new hairdos for the season!
Or it's just a fraction of what they will pay for their condo-huts in the Colorado "wilderness" this winter.. :lol:
Or it's just the same as what they will pay for their next two trips to the "BC" of Cali!!! :lol: :lol:
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

dschane

Post by dschane » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 am

MikeK wrote:Good thing tele skiers are usually rich guys who can dump loads of cash on a binding. What's a Dynafit Radical go for these days?

Nice thought. Maybe a nice product. Cost model doesn't work. But maybe that logic doesn't apply to tele?
I think you mean skiers are rich guys, and it's all relative to the schmo below and above you.
Why judge, though? Skis go for $600 - $1200, boots go for $400 - $800 (and up). It's an expensive sport; there are ways to do it on the cheap and to each his own.

Dynafits can run from $300 - $800, depending on the model you want. Dynafit competitors, esp. the ski racing stuff, can also go for more than that. That mkt seems saturated to me, but I know shit about that shit.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

dschane wrote:
MikeK wrote:Good thing tele skiers are usually rich guys who can dump loads of cash on a binding. What's a Dynafit Radical go for these days?

I think you mean skiers are rich guys, and it's all relative to the schmo below and above you.
Why judge, though? Skis go for $600 - $1200, boots go for $400 - $800 (and up). It's an expensive sport; there are ways to do it on the cheap and to each his own.

Dynafits can run from $300 - $800, depending on the model you want. Dynafit competitors, esp. the ski racing stuff, can also go for more than that. That mkt seems saturated to me, but I know shit about that shit.
Not really. I was being sarcastic in the first statement.

I'm a corporate tool now, and if I was a tele skier, I could shell out that dough but I was thinking back to the days before I had a decent income, and possibly the intended market. But I really don't know shit about the telemarket.

From a middle class American consumer standpoint, I guess it's not that bad. It's only slightly more expensive than what I saw other NTN bindings goes for.

With my engineering cap on I can definitely see where the cost is. I'm sure it cost them millions (probably a couple, not 100s) to tool up to make those things. My limited knowledge is that the market isn't all that big. So it's a big risk. Big risk usually demands higher profit margin for someone to make that investment.

If it cleans the NTN competitions clock then I'm sure people will be willing to pay that little extra.

I guess in my mind the cost model doesn't work against the 75mm tele bindings. And if it gives that much better edge control, a touring mode, and releasability, why not just spend that money on a AT setup? In that aspect it seems like a lot of clap-trap to try to compete with something that is much simpler, effective, and costs nearly the same.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 am

Yep, kudos to the M guys...!

I'm sure it's a great binding... I'd LOVE to try a pair... (Still twice heavy as pins but... 8-) )

The price is in Euros, so it's about 700$ USD. I understand it must take an awful lot of money to develop a product like this one. But at 700$, it's like 20% of my annual income...

Maybe the NTN license is terribly expensive...?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 pm

If there is still an active patent on NTN then they will have to pay royalties. A search of the patent database for the US could certainly give you an idea if they would have to for us. Europe is a lot more complicated.

For US patents it is 14 years from issue I believe. Keep in mind it may have been a few years from issue of the patent to when the first product came out on market. Or vice-versa i.e. the Gibson PAF humbuckers?