DIY Skin Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

DIY Skin Skis

Post by Nick BC » Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 am

I have a pair of old Atomic Aspects (85 mm underfoot) and also some old narrow 70 mm skins I never use. As it seems the ski resorts in the Covid -19 era may not open, fully, or alternatively with horrendous line ups I'm thinking I need another option for some mellow tours. So what is the optimum set up for diy skin ski? I understand that the skin should end at the boot heel, but how far forward should it go? Or should it also be back of boot heel?

Any one out there with a skin ski can you let me know 1] skin length in relation to ski length 2) skin width in relation to ski width?

I realize that it will be slower as the skis are single camber but the turns will be better :D

Woodserson
XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Asnes Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Alaska

Re: DIY Skin Skis

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am

I use 70mm skins on ski as wide as mid-90 waist if I'm not doing traverses, no problemo. It's when the ski rolls on edge during a climb does it become an issue, or if there's a lot of loose snow.

It's it's mellow and you're using a mid-80s you can probably go from tip to back of heel. If you're going to have loose snow as a predominant condition, I'd go all the way to the tail. With the loose snow the surface area of the ski will keep you from being able to apply full pressure to the skin to get it the grip it needs. Firm snow you can get away with a lot.

Rodbelan
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: All of them; old, new...
Favorite boots: T2X & T4 for off piste; BD Axis for groomers; Merrell for XCD

Post by Rodbelan » Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 am

Just as a reference, the BD half skins are 30 inches long. As Woods mention, you can adjust it to your own needs...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Lars_Danner
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Classic
Favorite boots: Fischer Comfort Pro

Post by Lars_Danner » Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 am

I think you want the skins to start 10 to 12 inches above the balance point and extend about 4 in past it. I don't think you want to go anywhere near the heels. That's going to be way too long and you're going to have way too much drag. You could certainly start with the skins going all the way to the heel but I think you'll find pretty quickly that you'll need to cut them shorter.

Of course if you're looking at doing extensive and steep hill climbing then the heels, or even further back, may be required, but for basic rolling hills and relatively flat terrain shorter is better. As far as width, they should be as wide as possible but you want them to be cut a few millimeters narrower than the skis to allow good edge use.

Here is a picture of a Salomon ski with an integrated skin to give you an idea of what the manufacturers are doing.
IMG_20200413_180618.jpg
Last edited by Lars_Danner on Sun May 17, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lars Danner

See my blog at: LarsDanner.blogspot.com
See my Facebook group at: Nordic Backcountry Skiing--Alaska

Woodserson
XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Asnes Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Oh I missed the point, a "skin ski." I see! oops

Nick BC
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 pm

Thanks Lars for your response, that’s a really useful graphic. I’ll give it a try start of next season. If it doesn’t work I can fine tune.