NNNBC move binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Bri7

NNNBC move binding

Post by Bri7 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 pm

A few years ago, Rottefella made a great improvement for the cross-country skiing with the MOVE binding system which made it possible to move the binding for grip and glide without taking off your skis. Rail system for NNN binding and alpine binding have been around for a while but nothing (to my knowledge) is yet available for NNNBC. Nordic backcountry skiing is not the biggest market share for the manufacturer and making prototypes for those kind of equipement is probably too expensive for them; so we will probably not see anything for us in the near future.

Moving the binding along the ski should not be a privilege given only to cross-country racers. How many times have you mounted a ski without hitting the sweetspot on the first time? Drilling a ski like a swiss cheese should not be the solution. How many times have you wish you were 1 inch foward during a steep climb? So I had to come up with an idea to remedy to this problem.

It’s still not perfect and needs some carbon component to make it look better but I feel i’m getting somewhere. Of course, nothing here is patented nor intended to be. So feel free to send picture to Rottefella or anyone willing to make this solution widely available.

The base plate
98BA7866-6C46-4A1A-BFBA-DC4946526299.jpeg
The top plate
E03A8ED8-E982-4C4D-9F70-98569C8C8A8A.jpeg
Full 2 inches ajustement
4DA53F4C-81A9-4297-9A73-DA8269EA6E8A.jpeg
The height of the railing is not too bad.
C90D838B-6CC3-4BC6-B39F-AFFCFDABD3EB.jpeg
The side button to activate the mecanism
838F69B4-B1BE-4868-9300-D360C42AB8A5.jpeg
Front position on the ski
1AAD81C4-851A-4E19-A613-9BDAE6B32B1D.jpeg
Back position on the ski
865238BD-7EC2-4234-9755-3983C3DA0E16.jpeg
Last edited by Bri7 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: NNNBC move binding

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:40 pm

THIS IS SO COOL.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:20 am

FREAKING AWESOME!

After begging Bri7 Industries for 5 years about this, I'm glad to see that they finally listened to my requests! 8-)
(They didn't seem to come out with a lot of new stuff lately...Glad to see they're still in business...)

Very nice job... As I suggested, I thought it would be easier to start with adjustable alpine binding metal rails, but you obviously like to start from scratch... Maybe you could use an old Voile release plate adapter on top of the rails instead, so it could fit both NNNBC and 3Ps? They are quite heavy though... Or maybe your plate already fits both...?

The height rise will sure benefit overall leverage... If you can go the lightweight way on the final prototype of course... Integrated NNN-BC FIS plates would be the best... (Wake up Rotte!)

Also, maybe the switch could be a big bigger, so it could be unlocked with mits and gloves?

I still have two (totally different) ideas for a movable BC binding that I am (not really) actually semi-working on...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:24 am

Also, can you post a top view picture of the top plate? Just curious...

Also, you need to post a video of the sliding plate in action... Please make us (me at least) drool... 8-)

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:55 am

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:10 am

The top plate has nothing special yet Johnny. This version has holes for nnn bc only but i’m not sure I’ll will screw the binding for this winter. I might glue the whole binding on the plate. The thickness of the plate is very minimal. The tensile strength of the plastic is not optimal for my body weight. As for glue, I’m surprised I didn’t rip off any NIS plate on my cross country skis yet and they are all glued on the ski. So I might give a try.

I’m still trying to figure out a way to make the back of the binding work. Any idea? I was thinking about a carbon flat bar with a T-Nut groove in it and 2 T-Nuts blots on the back of the binding. Not sure It will handle snow and ice, I might get clogged on near 0C conditions.

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:27 am

This solution is not too bad either and it gives you unlimited adjustement. T nuts are inserted in the aluminum profile but you have to carry an allen key to move your binding around.
969E251E-4C22-4E60-A989-E98F6A33583A.jpeg
42DCEF1C-96CC-47D2-8D5E-80F544E536B1.jpeg
35DE5611-C63F-4FE3-BBD5-1DDCC84214B0.jpeg
I’m curious about your 2 ideas Johnny. Email me if that’s something I can make at the shop.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:39 am

Aaaaaaahhhhh....! BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely beautiful...!
The 11-second Meidjo 3 video was quite something... But this, woooah...! VERY nice job!!!

Hummm... Maybe you could just forget the back plate attachment? It might give them a nice flip-flop feel and sound at the end of every turn...? (That's both our kind of silly idea isn't it?) :lol:

Also, you should have started the prototype with a regular Freeride metal plate... So I could simply switch from NTN to NNN-BC on all my resort skis!!! 8-)

In fact, this is exactly what the world needs: ONE single universal, standard, adjustable mounting plate. One plate for all: Freerides, Meidjos, 22Ds, NNN-BC and 75mm. Adjustable on the spot according to the ski, conditions and/or personal tastes. No more drilling, no more swiss cheese, just perfect mount on every ski. I fucking can't believe it's 2020 and people are still tolerating (and buying!) bindings without adjustable plates. Rottefella came out with this *MOST BRILLIANT IDEA EVER* almost 15 years ago on the Freeride and still, people are going back to non-moving bindings requiring 16,18 or20 holes on the skis every time you mount.

If you don't trust the glued FIS plates, try the ones you can screw on the ski. That is what I use and they are pretty strong... (Because obviously yes, I want to NNN on real skis... 8-) )