Andrew Zenith first impressions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Andrew Zenith first impressions

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm

I had the chance to get the second pair of Andrew Zenith that Cannatonic bought from Australia. I did not think I had a real chance to buy them as Cannatonic posted them a while ago on TeleTurnAround. I was lucky enough to buy them and also this was the opportunity to chat with Cannatonic who is really a great guy :D

Of course this is not a review but just my first impressions. Hopefully i will find the time to write one sometimes this winter...

I would say that I found love at first sight ;) As expected, those boots are superbly crafted. You can see the overall quality even with your eyes closed! This boot seems to offer a very good ankle support and the lacing system is great as compared to my other leather boots (Alpina Alaska and especially Ski March). The lone buckle is strategically placed and I could feel my heel locked down once closed. I can imagine the difference in control those will have over the Alaska when dh and I don't think i will lose a lot when touring. The sole is way stiffer then the Alaska and not that far from the Ski MarchI don't think i will use it for touring, only for dh and it is really easy to lock. They are not as stiff as the Ski March but I think that the lacing system as well as the buckle will offer a better overall support. The main point over the Ski March is that the Zenith are actually VERY confortable as compared to the Ski March which feels more like my working boots...

I am sure those will be great boots and hopefully they will last longer than the Ski March... they cracked at the flexing point after less than 10 outings. Same thing with the Alaska's... but I must have used them well over a 100 times in the space of 2 winters but still that is pretty short lived for a boot. My old Garmont leather boots lasted well over 15 years... the Andrew's are supposed to be even better... so I might ski them till i die!
Last edited by Nitram Tocrut on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Andrew Zenith first impressions

Post by fisheater » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Nitram,
The Zenith sound really nice! I sure hope my luck holds with the Ski March, but it’s nice to know that the Zenith is superior in your eyes. However, what’s wrong with work boots??? I’ve been wearing work boots daily for over forty years! I never knew they weren’t comfortable? Don’t get me wrong, I like to relax in the yard with sandals and a cold beer, but slipping on the work boots the next morning just goes with breathing fresh air and earning a living. Now dress shoes, they have a lot of room to improve as far as comfort.
I wish you a bountiful harvest, and plentiful snow when your growing season ends!

I have to say, I am very encouraged by your initial impression of the Zenith. Of course I am quite pleased with Alaska and Ski March.
I can’t wait for the on snow reviews. I may get GAS!

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:55 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:13 pm
Nitram,
The Zenith sound really nice! I sure hope my luck holds with the Ski March, but it’s nice to know that the Zenith is superior in your eyes. However, what’s wrong with work boots??? I’ve been wearing work boots daily for over forty years! I never knew they weren’t comfortable? Don’t get me wrong, I like to relax in the yard with sandals and a cold beer, but slipping on the work boots the next morning just goes with breathing fresh air and earning a living. Now dress shoes, they have a lot of room to improve as far as comfort.
I wish you a bountiful harvest, and plentiful snow when your growing season ends!

I have to say, I am very encouraged by your initial impression of the Zenith. Of course I am quite pleased with Alaska and Ski March.
I can’t wait for the on snow reviews. I may get GAS!
Ok, first partial report after first test on snow.

The snow was not great after the 15-cm we got turned into refrozen snow after it was slightly over 0C during the day. I still wanted to test the Zenith dh prowess so I took my Raab that were recently mounted with an older orange Voile Hardwire.

Those boots feel really more, no surprise, powerful than the Alaska. Although they are lower than the Alaska, it felt like my ankles were better supported. Of course the skis were not the best option for K&G but it really felt like the Zenith were way superior to transfer the energy from my body to my ski. So the touring part was pretty good despite the ski limitations.

As for dh, the snow conditions were very bad for the Rabb and most skis for that matter so I could not really make some good turns but still I felt the superior power of those boots... but the jury is out on that matter. The buckle work flawlessly and it is really easy to change the setting. With the buckle fully cranked you can’t hardly move your feet in the boot so I expect really good control à and I think they will be more forgiving than the Alaska especially for a novice of the telemark technique like me.

More to come but first in snow impressions is worth an A already...

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:55 am

Good to hear you got out Nitram. Are the Zenith the same size as your Alaska? I bet with that strap not too tight, you could really make your old E-99 fly! May your snow be deep and dry, and the winds be gentle.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:34 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:55 am
Good to hear you got out Nitram. Are the Zenith the same size as your Alaska? I bet with that strap not too tight, you could really make your old E-99 fly! May your snow be deep and dry, and the winds be gentle.
They are about the same size, but the Zenith is a bit shorter and I had to adjust the spring ps on my Hardwire to make them fit. The Zenith are 46.5 and the Alaska 47 but they both fit very well.

So, it is not really a first impression anymore and maybe I should have started that thread in the Review sections...

So, I took those boots for a good ride last Saturday before the snow was all gone... it was about a 15 km ride with part of it being without skis and the boots, as expected, did just fine with the walking part. Most of the ride was on flat and rolling terrain but part of it in the thick of the forest to access the dh part. The boots, as expected, are really supportive for more technical terrain where you have to ski along a stream on a steep incline while making your way through shrubs and small trees (I could have used the log road but where is the fun in that ;) ).

Now the fun part... I could finally try those boots at a hill facing Northeast as it was the only place I could ski « safely »... I had my Rabbs with the old orange Hardwire and it felt like I had a new pair of skis and that I suddenly became a better skier :o . I used to ski the same hill, in way better snow conditions, with my Alaska and a Traverse with cables. I don’t know how much of the difference was due to the binding and the boots but with this new setup the fun factor was 10 times greater. I don’t think the Alaska are stiff enough to fully take advantage of the Hardwire but I could really feel the Zenith taking advantage of the Hardwire as I could drive the skis harder and felt that the boots and binding were more forgiving. So I could do tighter turns... actually tight enough so that I could see the grass under the thin layer of snow left behind... So, it was the same skier with the same technical habilité but I just became better because of the better gear... I noticed it was much easier to keep the ball of Fort on the ski as opposed to the Alaska as the sole is way stiffer but also the hardwire must have helped. And of course, with the top strap fully tightened, you can really feel your foot firmly held and it felt a bit like being in my T4... but still being in a leather boots.

Well, I still have to take them to a resort but I am confident they can do the job if the snow conditions are good I.e. no ice... That will be my next post...

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 am

Nitram, great news! It is awesome that you have found a combination that works for you. In my opinion, the purpose of the cable is to assist the boot in flexing at the ball of the foot, and to assist the skier in keeping the ball of the foot on the ski.
Before NTN came out most skiers needed some cable assist for downhill turning. By finding the equipment that works for you, your skill level will only increase. Most importantly there is more joy and satisfaction.
It sounds like the Zenith is a great welted boot for my future consideration. When you post a review it would be nice if you could compare the weight in comparison to the Alaska. It sure sounds like you find the Zenith turns better. I am curious as to your impression as to the touring character of the boots.
Great to hear it’s working out well!

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:50 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 am
Nitram, great news! It is awesome that you have found a combination that works for you. In my opinion, the purpose of the cable is to assist the boot in flexing at the ball of the foot, and to assist the skier in keeping the ball of the foot on the ski.
Before NTN came out most skiers needed some cable assist for downhill turning. By finding the equipment that works for you, your skill level will only increase. Most importantly there is more joy and satisfaction.
It sounds like the Zenith is a great welted boot for my future consideration. When you post a review it would be nice if you could compare the weight in comparison to the Alaska. It sure sounds like you find the Zenith turns better. I am curious as to your impression as to the touring character of the boots.
Great to hear it’s working out well!
What are the chances that those boots weight EXACTLY the same... well they both weight 3 pounds each. So for the same weight you get all the bonus features of the Zenith and I can’t imagine them breaking after 2 years like the Alaska did for so many skiers. Of course you pay more but I always say that I am too poor to buy « poor » gear ;) You pay more but you get more for your money.

As for touring, I was out for about 15km and they did just fine. I had my Rabb which are not my first choice for such a long distance for so little turns, but the touring hability of those skis are significantly improved by the boots. I had the mohair skin on and there was not squirrelling, or so little, even on a thin layer of snow on frozen ground.

So far so good... if Cannatonic is following this thread it would be cool if you jumped in to share your thoughts and I can’t thank him enough for selling me them!