Thoughts on good gloves? Leather? Flylow?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JB TELE

Re: Thoughts on good gloves? Leather? Flylow?

Post by JB TELE » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:13 pm

Hands sweat a lot and I've found that air permeability of gloves is very important. Both waterproof membrane and non waterproof leather gloves don't allow my sweat to evaporate fast enough and I end up with cold, wet gloves.

I've been using the dachstein boiled wool mittens over liner gloves. https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachstein ... ult-mitts/

They are fairly water and wind resistant, kind of like a wool softshell. Snow tends to collect on the outer wool fibers, melts a bit, and then turns into an icy crust. Moisture generally doesn't penetrate all the way through unless the snow is really wet or I'm constantly getting snow all over them. The best thing is the layers of insulation closest to my hands stay very dry and if I get my liner gloves damp from messing with my bindings, the wool mittens quickly wick away that moisture and it efficiently evaporates. Try putting damp liners in a goretex mitt, the moisture isn't going anywhere. I may even buy a second pair as a back up in case one of them gets too wet. It's easy to dry out a wool mitten, it's very difficult to dry waterproof handwear.

If it's warm enough for wet precipitation these mittens aren't great and too warm anyways. I like to do liner gloves under a goretex overmitt (just the shell).

xcdnewb0313
Occupation: Stay at home dad who enjoys web development, skiing, angling, & trail-running - b.g. US Marine, exvangelic, & a mediocre vegan chef. Namaste ✌️

Post by xcdnewb0313 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:52 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:52 pm
Are you ever in NH? Ragged Mountain Equipment in North Conway makes their very own mittens and stuff for just this kind of weather on Washington. Good price, made in N.C., burly and dependable.
Very cool. I don't see the liners though, just the shells https://raggedmountain.com/accessories/hand-wear/ I come up to that area of NH three or four times a year. Next time I'm up there I will stop in and see what they have. Been dealing with cold fingers a lot the last couple of seasons. Either I'm getting older or it's just colder in The Whites than I'm used to from other regions... :lol:

Combined with this solution sounds like a potent combo!
JB TELE wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:13 pm
Hands sweat a lot and I've found that air permeability of gloves is very important. Both waterproof membrane and non waterproof leather gloves don't allow my sweat to evaporate fast enough and I end up with cold, wet gloves.

I've been using the dachstein boiled wool mittens over liner gloves. https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachstein ... ult-mitts/

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:31 am

I wonder if someone mentioned this stuff before.
282-03_1200x (1).jpg
Many mountaineers and backcountry skiers are wearing those gloves in winter over here.
See comments on Amazon.

Though the gloves have moisture permeability, it's not perfect.
Some experts recommend wearing nitrile gloves inside.

Cost: about 6-10 USD (the price sold in Japan)

You may be able to find similar working gloves at your local stores.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:05 am

I use those Showas for backpacking in wet, snowy, or stormy weather. They're an amazing value and utility. Hadn't considered them for skiing but they'd make sense

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:27 am

The Showas are extremely versatile. I’ve used them in the wet, snowy conditions previously mentioned. Also find them handy to have for riding the Triumph in early spring/late fall conditions.

My goto glove for skiing are deer skin made by the Hutterites. Those plus a thin liner when it’s cooler work for the majority of my skiing needs. Sno Seal has kept them supple and water resistant for years (1 quart cans on sale at Amazon.ca right now).

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:20 pm

Showa Temres are fantastic gloves for camp. They do not get soggy from handling snow like leather, and do not melt from fire like nylon.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:46 pm

Not all showas are the same. The ones really to look for are the showa temres 282-02. These have the right lining, and a cinchable gauntlet. I do most of my ice climbing in these. I have 2 pair, an L and an XL that I wear with a thin glove liner. They are the pinnacle of warmth for the thinness. However, even thin I find the finger tips to be a little sloppy for rope handling.

I recently bought a ton of gloves to try from refigiwear as I’ve never been happy with a -10C or lower belay glove. I think I found a winner there. The 0291R is EN 511 rated 2|3|1* and fits and handles well for how much insulation it has. I’ll have to see if it works out… but this is not an active glove.

* en 511 tl;dr first number is 0-4 convection warmth, second is 0-4 conduction warmth, and last number is 0 or 1 with 1 being waterproof.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:48 am

spopepro wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:46 pm
Not all showas are the same. The ones really to look for are the showa temres 282-02. These have the right lining, and a cinchable gauntlet.
temres02winter.jpg
Small world! I didn't know Showa's Temres was known internationally already.
Yes, those gloves are supposed to be used at -10C or higher.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.