FT 62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: FT 62

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:53 pm

boby13 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 pm
On groomed snow with NNN-BC (no telemark turns, only P-turns):
-Ingstad 205cm, uncarvable, NNN-BC boot is not enough to have good control over skidded P-turns
-Fischer E88 189cm, like the Ingstat but slow and no torsional rigidity
-Voile Objective bc 178cm, painfully slow, too wide, shape of the ski is made for powder, not for east coast resorts
-Fischer e99 200cm, never tried at the resort but I bet they wouldn't be the worse
Hey Bobby! I love to ballet to! I bet you could learnt to tele quite nicely all those skis in your quiver if you had 3pins and a decent supportive boot (no cables required).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:34 pm

boby13 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 pm

-Voile Objective bc 178cm, painfully slow, too wide, shape of the ski is made for powder, not for east coast resorts
Boby

What are you driving the Objective BC with? They might be slow on the flats because of the scales, but I ski these in bumps and trees and they are great. one of my favorite east coast skis.

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:53 pm
Hey Bobby! I love to ballet to! I bet you could learnt to tele quite nicely all those skis in your quiver if you had 3pins and a decent supportive boot (no cables required).
Yes I'm sure that it would be easier to get the feel for tele turns with a good supportive 3 pin boot. I'm getting pretty good at striding into a tele stance in narrow hiking trails. But to link tele turns, I need a couple inches of powder. On hardpack I give up and p-turn.

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:34 pm
Boby

What are you driving the Objective BC with? They might be slow on the flats because of the scales, but I ski these in bumps and trees and they are great. one of my favorite east coast skis.

I'm riding on NNN-bc and Alaska's. I use them mainly to explore the mountain off tracks. But yeah, they are awesome skis that turn on a dime, real good float for east coast powder but I believe the ski is to wide for nnn-bc.

My problem is that I often use the flattish resort trails to go in and out of the side country and I get passed by 4 years old kids on leaches. The FT62's solved most of my problems, I now blow by everybody at mach-10 speed :lol:

But I cant wait for next year to try the new Xplorer system with more supportive boots!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 am

fisheater wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm
Allan nice job on the watusi! The time you post for your tours is pretty impressive. I’m like a little kid, once I’m booted up, check the wax for grip and glide, I go. You would think I could remember to look at the time!
It’s generally accepted when touring with friends, that it’s best to tour on similar gear. I don’t know if that would apply if I ever made it out to PA. It looks like I could handle your terrain on my Falketind, I would probably need the light weight just to keep up with your Pennsylvania lighting pace!

I don't think I go fast, 3-3.5 mph is about average for a tour without laps. I did a tour a few nights ago on T4s and Voile Charger BCs (112UF) We climbed 350' in a little over 2 miles and back to the car and average speed was 3.5 mph. I never noticed much difference in speed from my gear. That's between heavy Merrill leathers and T4s for boots and single camber skis from 70mm UF to 110 UF. Most of the difference in speed is from snow conditions. I will go faster on my heaviest gear in fast snow then my lightest gear on slow snow. That being said a well waxed ski will be faster than a no wax ski in good conditions.

I don't think you would have any problem keeping up with me Bob.