Will NNNBC handle this?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
hoots

Will NNNBC handle this?

Post by hoots » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 am

I am a downhill tele skier and this will be my first xc setup. Considering the Alpina Alaska's with the Rossignol BC 80's, no clue on binding.

Snow conditions range from hard packed plowed roads to 4 feet + of powder. Would an NNN BC setup be safe for light to moderate teleturns to get down steep driveways and playing around in the hills. Tired of walking up hill with snowshoes to then walk back down :lol:

Want to stay light and and wide enough to float, but not to the point where I might as well wear my tele setup.

Skiing this general area of terrain.

https://opentopomap.org/#map=14/44.10447/-72.39613
IMG_20200924_112407.jpg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Will NNNBC handle this?

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:42 am

I guess this depends on a lot of other factors that aren't particularly clear. Are you trying to go primarily for turning, or do you want to tour around, do snowshoe type traveling but with more efficient skis, and some turns would be the byproduct? Or, are you going to spend most of your time at Northeast Slopes schralping with your XC gear?

Any reason why the Rossi 80? What's the money situation like? Do you already have certain boots that are comfortable and fit?

Your post seems like you want it all-- good at hardpack, roads, 4 feet of pow down some maple glade, etc. It gets tricky when you want it all and only one type of ski.

What is your vision for 80% of the time?

hoots

Post by hoots » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

I do not have any xc gear currently so this would all be new. Would like to keep the boots/skis/poles <$500

The goal is to use the skis as a snowshoe substitute and once at the top of a hill be able to get down it safely with some lazy turns. When I snowshoe it's typically after a storm so there's 6+ inches of snow. The area is rolling hills with steep stuff at a 15-20 degree grade, including the roads which I may need to get down while on the way back to the car.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:17 pm

The goal is to use the skis as a snowshoe substitute That to me says you should look at a Hok, or for more skiability a Kom.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 pm

Which probably steers you toward a 75mm boot and binding, due to the width of those skis. A basic three pin binding would be fine, but cables give you a bit more control on the downhill. However, i get the sense you're basically more into "straight ahead" k and g. I would recommend the Rottefella three pin over the Voile Mountaineer (although I love Voile's other bindings) because it fits different boot soles depths. Particularly if you're going with the Alpina 75mm boot.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:14 am

Did you check the BC 80 carefully? Too strong a camber to be used in BC, in my opinion. Better than the BC 90, though. I'd try to find an Eon instead... NNNBc will handle that kind of ski...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:30 am

Will NNNBC handle this? The foreground of the photo, yes. The steeper hill in the background, with what looks like tightly spaced trees, maybe, depending on the snow conditions and if there are trails or roads crossing the slopes. I haven't skied this area, so its just my wild ass guess based on the photo. One thing for sure, it needs a bit more snow :) There are lots of possible boot / binding / ski combinations, few that fall under the $500 mark. If that is a hard limit, then you will probably need to check the used ski market. Snowshoes and skis are such different animals. The only thing in common is the season. Its great that you are a tele skier (lift service?). My advice is to adjust your expectations at first. Every time the thought pops in your head "this is difficult, I wish I was on my tele gear or snowshoes", stop for a moment, take a deep breath, and replace that thought with "others have figured this out, it will come with time".

hoots

Post by hoots » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Wow such great responses :)

I guess I should rephrase my question. Can you do some light teleturns on a BC setup?

This setup will only be used a handful of times throughout the year so used equipment is fine.

I mentioned the BC 80 because that's what they had at the shop when I went in. The 80 width seemed like a good compromise between weight and buying a powder ski. Just want to get out with the wife and get the heart rate up.

The ideal gear would allow us to tour up hill in terrain similar to the photo w/ 5+ inches of snow, me (the mule) carrying some food and beers, get to the cabin, have a fire, drink said beers 8-) , glide back down the way we came in with a few tele turns thrown in because, when in Rome.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:02 pm

hoots wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:21 pm

I guess I should rephrase my question. Can you do some light teleturns on a BC setup?
Yes. You can to if you are committed and the conditions are right.

I would not invest in a Rossignol BC setup. So many better options out there.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Agree with dumping the 80. You may know this, but possibly not since you're new to the nordic side of freehell: the waist is not 80, the shovel is 80. The waist is 60mm.

If you're going used, look for some Madshus Annums or Epochs. They are softer cambered and are wider and will turn a bit easier. Good starter skis for this if you are sticking with the leather boots.