Madshus Annum Sizing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
motel 1.5

Madshus Annum Sizing

Post by motel 1.5 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Greetings from Maine!

I'm new to the forum and just starting to get into XCD so have a few questions about sizing some Madshus Annums. For a bit of background I'm an expert alpine skier, grew up on skis and was a pretty hardcore ski bum for a number of years. I'd say I'm more of an advanced-intermediate XC skier, also grew up on nordic, but moved away from it for a long time so I'm pretty rusty.

I'm 5'8" 160lbs and vacillating between the 175cm and 185cm Annum's. I'll be skiing these primarily on mid-low-angle trips in NH and ME; mostly exploring the local woods but also linking up some longer trips when the conditions are appropriate. Ski's will be mounted with Voile 3 pin cables and driven with a pair of two buckle Andrew leather boots. I have a Dynastar Cham HM 97 AT setup, a pair of Fischer E99's and a few other beater XC skis so looking to find something to slot in between.

I'm leaning towards the 185's just because the thought of a 175cm nordic ski seems off to me, but having a shorter ski that I can throw around a bit quicker is appealing. If anyone has any direct experience skiing these in the east coast woods I'd love to hear your opinions.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Madshus Annum Sizing

Post by Johnny » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:01 am

The 175 will be easier to control on the down... But if it's mostly for "exploring", I would go for 185, it will give you more stability and better glide... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:59 am

Welcome Motel 1.5!

I have used this ski (Annum/Guide) in all of its incarnations and have tried it in all of its lengths.
My family alone has one in every length.
For reference, I am 5'10" and 175lbs without a pack (and often do have a pack).

Back in the day, I viewed this ski as a Nordic-downhill ski tuned for fresh soft snow- and therefore, favored the 175cm.
Looking back I was never thrilled with the Guide/Annum as a downhill ski unless the conditions were ideal- gentle to moderate terrain and soft fresh snow. I have ended up with a personal preference for this ski at 195cm. Can I ski very tight steep lines with it at 195cm- no- but I get much more float, stability and XC glide- plus as long as I am on moderate terrain I can ride wonderful open turns with even the 195cm.

My point is that if you are not reaching for the Annum as a downhill ski, then I would seriously consider the longest length (185-195cm).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

motel 1.5

Post by motel 1.5 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback! That reinforces what I was suspecting but also makes me think that perhaps I want a different ski.

I do think that downhill performance is a pretty high priority for this setup so I’m now considering the Voile Objective BC. I’ve been doing some reading on the forum and it seems like many people are really enjoying this ski of late while I don’t hear too much about the Annum. I’m taking that as a sign!

I’m now back to where I was before with sizing :D I’m leaning towards the 171cm. It seems like that will make for a very agile setup and if I don’t like it I can always throw some AT bindings on it for spring ski mountaineering.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:03 pm

Downhill-focused? Yes to Objective BC versus Annum- it is both wider, lighter and more stable than the Annum!
"Local woods"- so skiing trees- 5'8"? I would recommend no longer than the 171cm.

You might even consider the 164cm- especially if you want to downhill ski tight lines in the Northwoods...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Post by rongon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 pm

Came across this thread today.

I love my Annums for wandering in tight woods and for making turns in powder. Although I have skied hardpacked trails of some steepness in the Annums, they are not ideal for that--better for soft snow conditions. I use them as a lightweight earn-your-turns ski with Voile Switchback bindings and Crispi CXP boots (3 buckle plastic). I'm kind of short and heavy at 5'7" 190 lbs but the 175 length seems to hold me up well enough. I'm thinking of picking up a pair in 185 length next time.

Voile Objective BC looks like a solid step up, but the Voile website states mounting them for telemark voids the warranty.
ATTENTION: These skis are intended to be used with AT bindings.
Voile Objective BC Skis mounted with telemark bindings or quiver killers are not covered under Voile factory warranty.
Is that a deal breaker? Or just ignore it and mount 'em with whatever you please?
--

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:45 pm

There are not many reports of Telemark bindings ripping out of Objectives. I think the problem is that skis have become much lighter, and there are still guys that want to mount Hammerheads on 5, with T-Race boots. Those guys rip bindings.
I haven’t heard of problems with T-4’s and T-2’s and even Switchback X2’s

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:03 pm

I'm 5'6-7", 130 lbs, and ski 164 Objective BC's. I love the ski, and I wish I'd gotten the 171's. Like yourself, an established downhill background, and also quite experienced in xc/xcd, etc. Never skied the Annum - even though my girlfriend's pair has been sitting around next to my skis for a few years... also sold and worked on Annum's and their predecessors since they appeared.
I just have the feeling the Objective is the better ski. They do seem to climb better than the Annum's, judging side by side with the GF's. Slightly stiffer flex, and definitely better torsional rigidity. Light, agile, responsive. Most of my skiing is out for a couple/few hours touring and turning, and I'm quite pleased with 'em.
I'd say definitely go 171's; the 164's ski very well but just plain feel too short. I'd also suggest mounting them a couple/few cm farther back than than the midsole recommendation... but that gets into personal style and preference.
I ski mine with 3 pins, and either Alaska 75's or Excursions. Softer boot is sweet for touring, and turns in smooth conditions, Excursions when I want or need more solid DH control.