help me find a 3-pin 75mm boot that won't explode here in the hills

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

help me find a 3-pin 75mm boot that won't explode here in the hills

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:35 pm

So before I pull the 75mm bindings off of everything except my Altai Kom...

I am search of a "good" 3-pin 75mm Nordic touring boot-
By good:
- comfortable- with a contoured heel
- durable- with a Norwegian welted sole
- supportive and stable but soft and flexible enough for XC skiing

(I already have a Scarpa T4- which I love- for purely downhill-oriented touring.)

I am pretty much done trying to get the stiff and heavy Alico Ski March to stop destroying my heels.
The Crispi Lofoten 75 has a simply embarrassingly terrible lacing system- not pleased.
The Alaska 75 is just too risky- everyone I know locally that has bought this boot has had the sole split and/or delaminate in the first season.

I have bought a series of used welted boots off Ebay with consistently poor results from buying old worn-out boots.

SO-

Thinking about biting the bullet and ordering these:
https://www.fjellsport.no/crispi-fjells ... l?q=crispi

Thoughts?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: help me find a 3-pin 75mm boot that won't explode here in the hills

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I looked at the Fey Brothers site and they had the Antarctic. The website seemed like it accepted a 45 EU to go in a shopping cart. Now whether it fits??? I didn’t complete the purchase, was only checking availability. The fit question is for you.

Now let’s go back to the Alaska 75. The sole is beefier than I expected. All boot manufacturers use the same Vibram sole, buy the boot that fits! I know you like the Alfa boots, I preferred to roll the dice on affordable Alaska. I’m not sure what ski you want to ski 75 mm? I’ll assume no to the Kom. I’m guessing you’re looking for a boot to fly on the Storetind in deep pow. Especially since you’re not fond of the FT deep snow performance. Dealing with USD and an American address current pricing on the Alaska 75 is too good to pass up. If I recall you had friends in Maine?

I’ve made some pretty large assumptions of powder snow and Storetinds Touring and Turns. My snow isn’t as deep, I can get by with my FT’s. However I can tour miles further on Alaska 75’s than on my Ski March. Alaska is lighter, but also flexes easier, more pop on the kick and glide! I only want to use the Alaska in powder. If it’s manky it will be Tindan and Ski March/T-4. I also believe you know how to make the Alaska fit. The only other option is to figure out how to get a pair of Rifugio. However before purchasing Rifugio, please consider I’m not strong enough to resist that kind of Gear Aquisition Syndrome !!!
I would like to add that you’re skiing your FT with NNN-BC. You can’t do that without being on the ball of the foot. You have not pulled the sole out of your NNN-BC Alaska, you will probably be safe on the 75 mm Alaska.
Last edited by fisheater on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Thoughts?
Of course.

These would be fine too, if they still have your size:

https://en.aventurenordique.com/andrew-rifugio.html

But you've known about these for a long time now. Had to try them all before commiting to the best? :mrgreen:
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:40 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 pm
lilcliffy wrote:

Thoughts?
Of course.

But you've known about these for a long time now. Had to try them all before commiting to the best? :mrgreen:
Wow!!! That really is kind of affordable.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:03 am

If you get the Andrews boot let us know....The Northrim boot was a wicked boot that could do it all and do it well...they put RUBBER in the boot to make it tougher and after a zillion days on those boots I destroyed them too...At some point I break all my tele equipment....can't believe the 99's that I ski have not snapped yet....Put them through their paces....I get boots second hand but would love to get an Andrews again....had trouble the first time...but a single buckle boot would be great....All the boots presently using are lace up and heavily glued....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:48 pm

simple answer to this question - Crispi Antarctic (and "Bre" or whatever it's called) and Andrew Rifugio. Rifugio being a little heavier and beefier. Vastly better than the glued 75mm soles and only slightly more expensive than those boots.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:57 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:30 pm
I looked at the Fey Brothers site and they had the Antarctic. The website seemed like it accepted a 45 EU to go in a shopping cart. Now whether it fits??? I didn’t complete the purchase, was only checking availability. The fit question is for you.

Now let’s go back to the Alaska 75. The sole is beefier than I expected. All boot manufacturers use the same Vibram sole, buy the boot that fits! I know you like the Alfa boots, I preferred to roll the dice on affordable Alaska. I’m not sure what ski you want to ski 75 mm? I’ll assume no to the Kom. I’m guessing you’re looking for a boot to fly on the Storetind in deep pow. Especially since you’re not fond of the FT deep snow performance. Dealing with USD and an American address current pricing on the Alaska 75 is too good to pass up. If I recall you had friends in Maine?

I’ve made some pretty large assumptions of powder snow and Storetinds Touring and Turns. My snow isn’t as deep, I can get by with my FT’s. However I can tour miles further on Alaska 75’s than on my Ski March. Alaska is lighter, but also flexes easier, more pop on the kick and glide! I only want to use the Alaska in powder. If it’s manky it will be Tindan and Ski March/T-4. I also believe you know how to make the Alaska fit. The only other option is to figure out how to get a pair of Rifugio. However before purchasing Rifugio, please consider I’m not strong enough to resist that kind of Gear Aquisition Syndrome !!!
I would like to add that you’re skiing your FT with NNN-BC. You can’t do that without being on the ball of the foot. You have not pulled the sole out of your NNN-BC Alaska, you will probably be safe on the 75 mm Alaska.
Hi Bob!
Can't get across the US Border at the moment, so USA orders are out unless I am willing to pay ridiculous US to CAN shipping rates (I find it cheaper to order from the EU!).
I am a ~42.5EU in length and generally do best in a 42EU for a performance-oriented Nordic touring boot due to my small-volume feet.
I truly hope that you have good luck with the Alaska 75.
There has been some somewhat presumptuous speculation on TT regarding the notion that "poor Telemark technique" is the cause of the 3-pin sole failures in boots like the Alaska 75. I am firmly convinced that the failure of this boot- in particular the splitting of the duckbill- is caused not by "tippy-toe" telemark turns but by skiers using these boots for extended XC skiing- repeatedly extending the flex of the sole and duckbill clear out to the toes.
If I was going to use the Alaska 75 for purely Telemark skiing I would be less concerned about it.
Yes! I am wanting to use my Storetind more, but I have been looking for a good 3-pin BC-XCD for years.
Before I mount NNNBC on my Storetind I am looking to find a better 3-pin boot. I would prefer the versatility of 75mm on my Storetind- but I am very close to riding the Storetind with my NNNBC boots...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:00 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 pm
lilcliffy wrote:

Thoughts?
Of course.

Hi Ben,
I am thinking that the 43EU Andrew is going to be too large volume for my skinny feet...
Thoughts?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:48 pm
simple answer to this question - Crispi Antarctic (and "Bre" or whatever it's called) and Andrew Rifugio. Rifugio being a little heavier and beefier. Vastly better than the glued 75mm soles and only slightly more expensive than those boots.
Hi Master Cannatonic!
What is your personal favourite- the Antarctic vs Rifugio?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Those Crispi Fjellski's look nice, but it'd probably take some miles to break 'em in to a comfortable touring boot. The Rifugio's might be better touring material, but that height doesn't work for me... feels awkward at the ankle and shin.

FWIW, I have a couple/few seasons on my Alaska 75's, and no splits in the sole. I did manage some pinhole issues, due to mating them with a binding that needed a thicker sole... but no failures in sight (yet). I also have a low volume foot, US size 9.5, and find them surprisingly comfy... I added an aftermarket footbed, and learned how to fold in the tongue and lace properly. They are, really, a touring boot. Easy forward flex, but, despite appearances, quite flexi laterally. OK for nice snow, requires survival skills in "bad" snow.

I have an older pair of Alico's; look very much like the Rifugio's... or the old Merrell Wilderness... or some old Asolo's or Crispi's... all out of the same town, if not the same factory, in Italy, as I recall. I use the Alaska's where I had been using the Alico's: in truth, the Alico's offer more control; the Alaska's more height, and more plush.

(PM me if you have an interest in the Alico's... they're just sitting on a shelf).