Scott Voodoo NTN doesn't fit outlaw x binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Teledrou

Re: Scott Voodoo NTN doesn't fit outlaw x binding

Post by Teledrou » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:54 pm

tim@tbdsales.com wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:51 pm
Have you considered this may not be a binding issue, but a boot issue. I have seen this problem before with Scott and Crispi boots being out of the agreed upon spec. The distance from the front edge of the toe to the back edge of the cleat should be 176.5 +1/-1mm?
Thanks for this spec. I'll check for sure.

The boots are out of spec. I measured 178.5 mm.
Last edited by Teledrou on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

montuckykid

Post by montuckykid » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:17 pm

I have been skiing outlaws with Scott voodoos for a few years. I have 28.5 boots with large bindings. It was very difficult to get boot into binding until I learned technique of putting pole tip into front of binding and pressing down on boot in the correct sequence. It all clicked after several beers and nightskiing on new years eve. Try putting them in the binding with your foot in the boot. 22d had some videos that show you how to do it.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:13 am

montuckykid wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:17 pm
I have been skiing outlaws with Scott voodoos for a few years. I have 28.5 boots with large bindings. It was very difficult to get boot into binding until I learned technique of putting pole tip into front of binding and pressing down on boot in the correct sequence. It all clicked after several beers and nightskiing on new years eve. Try putting them in the binding with your foot in the boot. 22d had some videos that show you how to do it.
With Outlaw X or the original Outlaws?

Regardless, I think either the boots or bindings are out of spec.

Any word back from 22D?

Teledrou

Post by Teledrou » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm

The issue is with outlaw X. However, Scott boot seems to be out of spec.

tim@tbdsales.com

Post by tim@tbdsales.com » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:45 pm

Most Scott boots have removable duckbutts. You may want to try moving the duckbutt forward a bit so it drops into the binding correctly.

Teledrou

Post by Teledrou » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:51 pm

I adjusted the second heel to the lowest point and the boot is still out of spec. I measured more than 178 mm.

TeleForce

Post by TeleForce » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:27 am

My Voodoos measure 179mm toe to duck butt. Stepping into an Outlaw is almost impossible. I regularly use Meijdo 3.0 and have some trouble with the left boot occasionally. My local shop free heel life has other customers with the same issue. They said they will contact Scott. My prediction is Scott will supply replacement second heel pieces or freeheel will file off 3 mm. I could try to modify them myself but these are brand new $600 boots, Scott should step up (or in) and fix the issue.

TeleForce

Post by TeleForce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:15 am

Scott Boot Bottom.jpeg
Scott Boot Toe.jpeg
After frustration with trying to step into an Outlaw X binding with my Voodoo boots I did some engineering and solved the issue. See below. Scott told me to just file away some material from the duck butt adapter. They didn't say where or how much. After some measuring, observing and testing in the garage I came up with the fixes below.

1) File extra material away from tech inserts. Aids ease of insertion into the toe.
2) Radius the Duck butt adapter. The edges are what miss the Outlaw Claw.
3) Assemble the duck butt as far toward the toe as possible. I measured the Voodoo at 178mm and the Scarpa at 176mm.
4) Sticky claw fix by filing the claw. This is a known issue.

With the above fixes the step in ease into an Outlaw X is greatly improved.