Wide boots now that the Ener-G is gone??

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
kenner

Wide boots now that the Ener-G is gone??

Post by kenner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:20 pm

My boots are shot....have burned through 2 pair of Garmont Ener-G's over the 10+ years.....I would buy same exact boot same size if the Ener-G was still available...but sadly it's not. Even with the Ener-G's I required pro boot fitter help to make them wide enough. Bought some Scarpa T-Race last year...was told ''they run pretty wide'' so I gave them a shot........they sat in my garage most of the season after a few painful sessions on the mtn. After studying my feet a pro boot fitter told me today to sell the Scarpas and find something with a wider toe box for my 'neanderthal' feet....said he would most likely destroy the integrity of the bellows trying to make them fit. Showed me with some out-side calipers how much wider the Ener-G's were compared to the T-Race....and a side by side comparison clearly indicates the toe-box is of the Ener-G is ...well, a BOX...versus the more tapered shape of the T-Race.
Anyone have suggestions .....what's the widest boot out there these days? I did some internet searches but nothing jumps out as THE ''boot to replace the Energ-G''. :?:

thank you!

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: Wide boots now that the Ener-G is gone??

Post by Raventele » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm

I skied a pair of T-race most of last year..I have a fairly wide foot and have always liked the comfort of Garmont's width-wise,but I honestly never noticed a really big difference in width between the T-race (or other Scarpas), though that would be comparing Synergy's and Excursions to the newer T-race.. I am back to T2's (Eco's -- some nice changes compared to the old blue ones) , which, again also I have no width issue with compared to the Garmonts I skied. I think the best advice is to try some T-race before you buy, if at all possible, of course.
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

dschane

Post by dschane » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 pm

You might try Black Diamond boots, though they are supposedly on their last year:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/26257/blac ... ed-to-die/

Better, you might try Scott's Synergy, which is the closest thing to the EnerG's successor:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/25531/tele ... s-synergy/

djhutch

Post by djhutch » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:11 pm

The EnerG is the boot that fits me the best too. After wearing out four pairs, I have been on the BD Pushes for the last two years. They are wide but about 1/4 shell size shorter for same mondo size and the EnerGs basically fit and flexed better - just felt more refined although the Pushes are a little stiffer. 75mm Scarpas feel narrower to me while the NTN Scarpas feel about the same width as the EnerGs. I would have loved to make T1s worked but they were always a little narrower than I like.

The new Scott Synergy's are reported to ship this week so you can try on soon. I am really excited to get back to the old Garmont EnerG = new Scott Synergy. I would suggest holding out for the Synergy's and supporting Scott's decision to return an awesome 75mm to the market.