Karhu xcd gt full metal edge xc skis 62 54 59

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Re: Karhu xcd gt full metal edge xc skis 62 54 59

Post by Chisana » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:34 pm

Thanks lowangle al and l Hartley. Resizing worked!

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Re: Karhu xcd gt full metal edge xc skis 62 54 59

Post by Capercaillie » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 pm

DPO777 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:16 pm
It seems in the old days all those xc skis were long stix and that's what the stores were pushing. I see quite a few 210,215 and 220cms in the thrift stores and think holy crap those are long. I have a pile of older skis kicking around ranging from 220cm and downward. The 220cm Karhu waxless generic XC skis are in good shape but think they would only be good on the flat groomed tracks as jumping jacks for my weight.
I lucked into finding another pair of 220cm skis this season (Kazama Telemark Comps - I guess people raced on these, mine have a "race tune by <local shop>" sticker on them - but by all metrics they are heavy-duty metal-edged XC skis). And those confirmed my impression of 220cm skis I had from my first pair last season: long skis glide really well in all conditions even if the wax is less than ideal, track straighter and do not get deflected as much, "bridge" undulations and debris (you barely even notice post-holes), and are great on crust, and better than short XC skis in powder. I think the key is that both my pairs have relatively soft second cambers - length does not have to mean too stiff for your weight. They hold wax and even klister well despite having softer cambers. And I like them much better than the "appropriate for my weight" cambered shorter skis I have tried. In fact, the "modern" stiff-cambered 193cm skin skis a local shop sold me really sucked in comparison (fortunately everyone seems to have been brainwashed by marketing into wanting skin skis, so I was able to sell them easily; to quote Ivan Trumble, "retailers should be shot for selling this stuff!" https://ski.itrundle.com/appendices/waxing.html). I am 75kg, 82cm inseam; "average" dimensions. People with shorter legs might find 220cm skis too much when it comes to herringbone and skating.