Karhu xcd gt full metal edge xc skis 62 54 59

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ski nut

Post by Ski nut » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Any idea on these skis? Best use? Performance?
(wax base, steel edge) 62 54 59

Karhu xcd gt full metal edge cross country skis.png

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Karhu xcd gt full metal edge xc skis 62 54 59

Post by phoenix » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:11 pm

I've skied 'em since somewhere in the 1990's or so. Still have a pair and intend to keep 'em. I don't recognize the top sheet graphics of the ones shown, but it's the same ski.

It's a time tested, reliable, versatile ski for a wide range of xc/bc touring. Turns well, tours well, smooth and solid. I've skied mine extensively in the Adirondacks and Greens, and it remains a favorite go-to ski for general touring. Be glad to offer more if you have questions.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 am

I skied them from the mid 80s to late 90s with pins and leather boots, at which time I switched to a single camber ski with a light cable binding for the same type of trail skiing with a focus on turns. They are a good touring ski but they need a lot of input to get them to turn compared to single camber. They are not a good ski to learn how to turn on.

I don't recognize the graphics either, probably early 90s. I had two pair of the no wax version from the 90s and never liked them. I think the quality went down. They should be good for touring but they won't be easy to learn how to turn them. They are worthwhile to have in your quiver, I still have two pairs with the waxable base and look forward to skiing them again.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 am

What Phoenix said....When I broke my 99's and couldn't get a set had those skis....Compared to the e99 they seemed average....Never had the energy of a 99....or so it seemed...TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 am
I don't recognize the graphics either, probably early 90s.
The guys at Karhu were really prompt to ditch graphics and even names... Have you heard of the Karhu Serens? That's a XCD GT with new graphics and name... That' not the only one bearing the same characteristics (can't remember the names; that could make a real interesting research). The Dorado? It's a 10th mountain with original characteristics. It is really hard to follow...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 am

I worked in outdoor shops right outta college in the 1980s and into the early 90s when these skis were very popular. I have to agree with all comments--they're workable touring skis, somewhat difficult to turn on hard snow. In the early models, the skis were very light, too light as the light weight was due to Karhu making them using injection molded foam cores. That technology was not up to the task at that time, as the foam cores had lots of thru and thru breakage, and quickly lost their camber.
Another model of the XCD was manufactured at the same time period, with an alpine flex, for tele skiing and descents, with the same sidecut and construction details as the GT, minus the nordic wax/waxless pocket. It had the same durability issues, however, with skins, it was a "good enough" backcountry ski and I did a couple of long overnight hut tours on em.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:26 am

Certainly nothing wrong with the GT. They ski better with 3 pin or cable than NNN.
The XCD Comp was the version with a single camber. Very quick in the bumps. There was a Merrell branded version at one point.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:28 pm

I wanted to write a review of this ski, but noticed there is this thread already. So I put this here for clarity.

I bought these skis second-hand from a local store around 2012. Back then, they still looked unused, but old for visual style (still nice visuals!). Does anybody know, from which era ski is?

karhu xcd gt 1.jpg

With 210 cm and a history behind them, people would call these skis “one and a half camber”. Both when it is me (80 kg) or my spouse (60 kg) standing on the skis, they go flat in “paper test”. That means they are thus all too soft for XC skis. Someone mentioned 1980’s XCD GT:s had this problem. Is this an old model, which has gone flat after 25-30 ski days? Or do newer versions have same problem, too.

The older Rottefella NNN bindings feel sturdy with metal parts. Does anybody know, when this model of NNN BC was manufactured? I wonder whether these skis have had 3-pin before. Is this NNN BC model heavier in weight than the current plastic version? (At least it looks heavier)I am thinking of moving the bindings to another ski because they have not been skied that much and look sturdy.

karhu xcd gt 7.jpg

I have skied two one-week trips with a pulk in fells with these skis, plus some day trips in forests near city with the skis. Also a one-night trip through swamps and forests nearby. Also one “topptur” with a 300 m rise to a fell. I have always skied with skins because I did not know if skins like wax.

With these skis, I have done mostly touring on hard snow or ice. That has been spring in the fells, or icy weather in Southern Finland. I would like to spare my poor skins from full time scrubbing. That happens with full length Colltext of course all the time, but I have used Intelligrip kicker skins, too.

The XCD GT’s are real wax / skin killers. You can hear the skins scrubbing during glide in XC, even with a 210 cm long model. The scrub is actually not that bad with a pulk because speeds are 2-4 km / h. But when you go any faster, 8 km / h without package, the skins slowing down and making noise is disturbing.

karhu xcd gt 2.jpg

For downhill, and with my zero telemark skills, metal edges have been the most important part of this type of the ski for me. On icy fell slopes, the wildest I have been able to go has been some wedge turns with the XCD GT’s. On the other hand, they have taken me safely down from an icy mountain in the tundra.

These skis have been good on central park and recreational area tracks. Where I live, temperature is often around 0’ C, and tracks icy. Where I live, we have mainly groomed tracks on all routes where people hike and bike, when there is no snow. When the ski routes are maintained, it is illegal to walk or bike there / destroy tracks (yes ski tracks are that “holy” in Finland!). For example, I ran today a farewell run with the XCD GT’s. I was planning to run a somewhat icy shorter track, but ended up on a closed route, which had lots of icy hills. Slopes had mirror ice and frozen snow alternating. I was happy with the metal edges. People do not use metal edge skis that much here because we do not have any mountains. I guess they become more popular because many people are too afraid of hills to go skiing, when weather gets icy.

karhu xcd gt 5.jpg

For next steps, I am planning to get similar, but stiffer skis. I have thought of Åsnes models Gamme, Amundsen and Rago, Fischer E99 and BCX 99. Also Madhus BC55 should be quite stiff and good, actually. I have ordered second-hand pairs of Åsnes Rago / Amundsen (205 cm) and Åsnes Gamme (200 cm “green man”). Nice to see how they feel after the XCD GT's.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Just guessing, that ski was probably made late 1980's, maybe very early 1990's, before Karhu was picked up by K2. Sidecut seems to match the original ski design from 1981-82, but the I cannot ID the year of the topsheet graphics--maybe this graphic was made just for the European market? At any rate, what you describe is indeed a ski that has lost it's secondary, nordic, flex, which was unfortunately common with the Canada Karhu ski line.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Post by freedom glider » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:34 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:02 pm
Just guessing, that ski was probably made late 1980's, maybe very early 1990's, before Karhu was picked up by K2.
yes - aspects of the graphics/lettering match those on some karhu catamounts i have from the early to mid 90s.