The Word is out Now!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

The Word is out Now!

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm

22C66DEC-BBB7-47E5-B5C4-668ACC48B759.jpeg
I’m not sure how local skiers feel about this. For me, a guy that lives within reasonable driving time I am pretty enthusiastic about the latest edition of Best Backcountry Skiing in the Northeast.
I skied Vermont once sometime right around 1990. I was the ring leader of the infamous “Six Men in a Mini-van Trip”. Other than being the organizer, I wasn’t much of a leader. I made one rule, due to the fact coming from SE Mi we were to drive through Canada. With two border crossing rule number one and only was nobody is to carry anything that might violate Canadian or US law passing through those borders. Well, one rule, and one guy followed it. After entering Windsor, Ontario before even getting on the 401, I was driving a van that could have easily been the stunt double in Cheech & Chong’s “Up in Smoke”! We managed to make it to the Stowe parking lot at Dawn’s twilight. My ski partner buddy and I saw the white lines of the Front Four and immediately knew where we were starting the day! However first we had to find a breakfast restaurant. At breakfast I had my first taste of the most wonderful breakfast condiment known to man, maple syrup! I haven’t had corn syrup in my house since that wonderful morning. Beyond the maple syrup, and my first time skiing a real mountain, there was one other thing that etched an indelible effect on my mind. Standing at the top of the Gondola lift, looking East, a massif towered. Being an unashamed tourist I flagged the closet person down, “What is that!” Well I was told it was Mt. Washington. The wonder of Mt. Washington is still there, all these years later.
So flashing forward to today, the interest in Mt. Washington, New Hampshire skiing in general, the things I’ve read about Vermont backcountry skiing, and the videos by You Tube superhero Chuck Flannel have me wanting to do some NE backcountry skiing by the winter of 21-22. Whether that is solo or with my old ski partner comes down to my effort to get him back on skis this year. He thinks he is too old. Granted he is pretty old, six months older than me, and not as good looking either!
So I’ve had the book for a day and a half. I’ve read the entire New Hampshire section, which I really enjoyed. For my friends in New Hampshire I found it interesting that the author David Goodman, from Vermont, wrote half the book about New Hampshire. Reminds me of fisherman I know that live on the east side of Michigan, closest to Lake Huron, that always suggesting the fishing is best on Lake Michigan. Just saying. I can say that Teleman and the Northeast Kingdom skiers haven’t had their stash outed! No mention of Little Mountain, The Highlands, or Telecamp were found.
So, the bottom line is that it is a good read. It seems to have enough information for a tourist to visit, and have a reasonable expectation to find good skiing. I hope the local folks have plenty more out of the way places to ski. For me, I would enjoy skiing the CCC trails, and from there anything else reasonably safe would be awesome, and there are a lot of other options.
I think there would be many people that would enjoy this book. I also challenge Chuck Flannel to continue his superhero video series. He may become more famous than Glen Plake, but the Chuck Flannel Skis the New Hampshire section could crash the internet! I personally volunteer to be his camera man when he hucks “The Lip”.

joeatomictoad

Re: The Word is out Now!

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:04 pm

Sighting Mount Washington from the summit of Stowe? Neato. Must have been one heluva blue bird day; can see why that experience is seared into your memory. Maps says it's about 80-miles as the crow flies.
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 20.54.44.png

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:19 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:04 pm
Sighting Mount Washington from the summit of Stowe? Neato. Must have been one heluva blue bird day; can see why that experience is seared into your memory. Maps says it's about 80-miles as the crow flies.
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 20.54.44.png
With a typical nice day and with the Presi's under snow it is no problem, quite common. We have great sightlines here in New England from the summits and when we get snow on the trails or snow on above-treeline summits it gets really easy to point them out. The Presidentials specifically are an inspiring site from the higher summits of northern Vermont, a wall of white on the horizon. I remember the first time I saw them from Stove in the mid-90's from the gondola. At the time I had no experience of NH and I was stunned and immediately attracted.

Woodserson
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:23 pm

here's some random guy's photo album with and without telephoto (taken from Stowe):

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 pm

fisheater wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm

I’m not sure how local skiers feel about this.
Feel great about it! Goodman has been a tireless guide, promoter, and protector of skiing in New England. He has had his guidebook out for decades now. It used to be published in two books, Maine & New Hampshire and Vermont & New York. They got combined with the first edition of this particular book. Fun fact, CF's ski partner JOHNNY LIGHTNING! his indefatigable narrator, gave Goodman a ride to spot his car when he was re-skiing the Avalanche Brook Trail for this very edition! WOOWOOAAOAH

With two border crossing rule number one and only was nobody is to carry anything that might violate Canadian or US law passing through those borders. Well, one rule, and one guy followed it. After entering Windsor, Ontario before even getting on the 401, I was driving a van that could have easily been the stunt double in Cheech & Chong’s “Up in Smoke”! We managed to make it to the Stowe parking lot at Dawn’s twilight.
FKNA RIGHT bad decision and good memories!
I personally volunteer to be his camera man when he flails over “The Lip”.
Fixed it for you

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:48 am

image.jpg
This addition has about 30 tours from 1989.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:17 am

Ah, «the matador» posture, as Dickie Hall would say...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:19 pm
We have great sightlines here in New England from the summits...
Cool, thanks for the pics. I remember a sign along the pass going up Hogback Mountain says you can see a long distance on a clear day. Probably passed through a dozen times, but never on a clear day.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:18 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 pm
fisheater wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm

I’m not sure how local skiers feel about this.
Feel great about it! Goodman has been a tireless guide, promoter, and protector of skiing in New England. He has had his guidebook out for decades now. It used to be published in two books, Maine & New Hampshire and Vermont & New York. They got combined with the first edition of this particular book. Fun fact, CF's ski partner JOHNNY LIGHTNING! his indefatigable narrator, gave Goodman a ride to spot his car when he was re-skiing the Avalanche Brook Trail for this very edition! WOOWOOAAOAH

With two border crossing rule number one and only was nobody is to carry anything that might violate Canadian or US law passing through those borders. Well, one rule, and one guy followed it. After entering Windsor, Ontario before even getting on the 401, I was driving a van that could have easily been the stunt double in Cheech & Chong’s “Up in Smoke”! We managed to make it to the Stowe parking lot at Dawn’s twilight.
FKNA RIGHT bad decision and good memories!
I personally volunteer to be his camera man when he flails over “The Lip”.
Fixed it for you
Woods, thank you for the photos. All I can say is that the view etched in my mind was certainly worth the trip. I’m sure glad I skied Stowe when lift tickets were cheap, and the slopes were reasonably not crowded.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:22 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:48 am
image.jpg

This addition has about 30 tours from 1989.
Al, very cool. I was more interested in lifts back then. Did you ever take one of the tours from the book? Not that it matters, it is a good read, and just enjoyable to enjoy the writing and photos.