can I used NNN boots/bindings with real skis on a Nordictrack?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Underdog
Ski style: Apple orchard

can I used NNN boots/bindings with real skis on a Nordictrack?

Post by Underdog » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:03 pm

No snow here in New England (again) however I have a NordicTrack exercise ski machine collecting dust.
Has anyone ever tried to use traditional cross country gear with a NordicTrack?
nordictrack.JPG

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: can I used NNN boots/bindings with real skis on a Nordictrack?

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Only if you put it outside with a fan in front of you blowing feathers. Driveway is good, so the neighbors can get a good look.

I do this all the time

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 am

A friend of mine mounted three pins on the boards that came with the machine. I don't see any benefit in it other than breaking in your boots. It may also make it more unsafe if you lose your balance.

I want to add that last year I blew out my back on a Nordic Track. Make sure the pad is on your hips and not any higher, where the pressure will be on your spine.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:13 am

be careful on indoor trainers. I recently was running sprints on my treadmill and sprained my SI joint. I had no reason to run sprints since I race trail Ultras, but I wanted to get my HR to 95%. I doubt this would have happened outside...the treadmill speed setting forced my legs to move at an unnatural speed( for me). as much as I would like to see a nordictrack with outside skis mounted, seems like a risk to me.

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:18 pm

After much trial and error over the years, I came to conclusion that exercising on machines that force your body into a mechanical track/path is a bad idea. Watch classic skiers from behind and see how much their back foot swings outside or inside the track. Constraining that movement is asking for an injury. Just my two cents.