UTE Mag review - Falketind 62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
aquamogal

UTE Mag review - Falketind 62

Post by aquamogal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Anyone have access to this site? would be interested to hear what they say in english :)

https://www.utemagasinet.no/turutstyr/t ... lketind-62

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: UTE Mag review - Falketind 62

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:46 am

Hi,
Here is a rough translation (a corrected google translate) of the full article. I did not try to make it prose, I just made the meaning as in the original.

It isn't really a detailed review.
____
They are easy to go with, but are first and foremost reminiscent of a ski for summit tours.
Here the skins dig into the snow all the time, and you will be disappointed if you dream of long plateau tours.

These are still good and fun skis for gentle slope, long summit hikes in avalanche-safe terrain, where the trip is just as important as the actual descent.

The radius at 180 cm is 18.7 meters, which gives you good and turn-happy skis. This is, together with Rabb from the same manufacturer, clearly the best downhill XC ski (my comment: original word: "kjøreski", = driving ski)

It has a good tip in front, gives good float in the terrain, and gives good flat when skiing. Here you can drive proper carving telemark turns, even on hard surfaces.

Falketind has a going camber, but we do not think this is very noticeable as it is soft. They do not make this the first choice for plateaucrossings, but as mountain skis between several descents, these will work well.

Falketind 62 comes with system for short skins, which you fasten through the underside of the skis. The system is easy to both attach and loosen. They also come prepared for the use of long skins from Pomoca.

PLUS
Good for easy summit hikes. driving focused
MINUS
Not the best to go far with, too soft a camber to slide on the surfaces

That's it, not a lot of info.
But I have some of my own info for you here, as I bought these skis in November and have not been able to use them until last weekend for a lack of snow:
I have been on two shorter XC tours with the Falketinds in 196cm in the last week. There was insufficient snow for proper downhills in open areas. Snow temperatures were about -6 degrees C, 15cm on top of an icy base. Boots were Crispi Bre in Rottefella Super Telemark bindings.
I hot waxed the whole base with Swix V05 polar and used Toko Red grip wax (-10 to -2 degrees, equivalent to Swix Blue) from the heel forwards to the tip. My wax job was pretty bad, I did not have the right kind of cork with me to even out the grip wax properly, and it formed blobs. Perhaps my mistake was to keep the wax stick in my pocket on the way to the trail start, so perhaps it was too warm to rub on evenly.
Regardless, the result was excellent grip, better than 30mm short skins I would say, but somewhat disappointing glide, especially on consolidated snow. I was able to achieve more glide than I would have with even 30mm mohair skins however. Next time I will shorten the waxing zone to something a bit less ambitious in terms of grip.
In other words, I think I can optimise the waxing enough for it to be quite a bit better for glide, while still having good grip.
After 14 km there is still plenty of grip wax left, which is very encouraging.

The skis are relatively squirrely on hardpack (IE groomed tracks), perhaps a tad more than E109. I have to try them more in this context.

In the short downhills were I was able to test it, I was impressed by their turnability.
I think I would manage longer (>20 km) tours with these but I might prefer the Nansens for that use, unsuprisingly. It would depend on the topography.

Also of note, after now having tried both the Rottefella ST and the Voile 3 pin, I really do prefer the Rottefella 3 pin binding in practical use although the Voiles are "more beautifully made". The Rottefellas clamp my boots better and are easier to operate.
I have not used the Rottefella hardwire attachment yet so I cannot tell how it compares to the Voile cable.
Last edited by CwmRaider on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 am

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the test you're referencing did not test the Falketind 62 up against comparable skis or for it's intended use. We have talked to Utemagasinet, and they admit that the test lacked context and fair comparison. Unfortunately, it was published before the right editors, and we got to give feedback. This test is just not a good reference.

The reviews here on Telemak Talk are actually a lot better, so I would direct my reading to the reviews you guys have posted here on Telemark Talk, as they are more precise, accurate, in the right context and fair (objective).

The take from this review is simply that Falketind and Rabb are the more playful and fun skis to ski downhill with.

As most of you probably know, the Falketind is not really comparable to narrower skis and XC skis.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 am

@aquamogal :
Here is a full thread of comments on the Falketind 62 in case you have not found it yet:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1923

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 am

@Roelant @Åsnes1922

Thank you very much for the feedback Falketind are the the ski's I want, just may not be this season.
I am in west Michigan USA and snow is not that good this year. Have a great day!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

One of the most fun skis I have ever owned in this class (light downhill telemark).