The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by Nick BC » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 pm

I wonder if Rottefella is looking over their shoulder at Scarpa? The much anticipated new tele boot with a modern AT style range of motion and light weight (2500 gr or thereabouts we can hope), if it’s in two buckle format ala T3/4. It would obviously have tech toes and a duck butt. I salivate, as that would meet most of my needs these days, with a light TTS binding or Meidjo.

I know free pivot is not quite as good for k and g, but I find it quite tolerable as a lot of my tours are in hilly terrain. The new Xplore would probably be better for more level tours, due to the bumper, but Christer seems to imply in his comments that it would be appropriate for the FT62, Rabb and Nosi. The upper end of that waist width range would be perfect, in my view, for new light Scarpa boot and an NTN binding. Voiles new TTS binding would probably be in the same price range as the Xplore binding. The new Scarpa boot may possibly be more expensive than the equivalent Xplore boots

I wish Rottefella luck with the new Xplore, as I have enjoyed their many different bindings over the years (more than I care to remember :shock: ) but I wonder if it will unseat the competition?

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Åsnes1922 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 pm
Well! Finally got a chance to read those UTE Magazine reviews of the Xplore binding and Free boot-
Not impressed.
Perhaps Crister is receiving fresh update test models as they work on it and Rottefella has increased the resistance of the standard flexor?
Binding resistance is VERY important- not only for downhill skiing- but also for kick and glide IMO.
The Xplore binding has got to be as good as my 75mm-3pin touring setups for me to even to consider it...
For now I am happy with both NNNBC and NN-75mm- I will wait for more testing and reviews over the next couple of seasons!
So to clearify for everyone:

Pål Trygve Gamme recieved one of the first editions of the binding and boots, so A LOT has happened since then. I'm not really sure why Rottefella sent it to him at all, cause he can be a bit rough and biased in his reviews sometimes. In my optinon.

What really puzzles me, is why this review got published at all, as the binding and boots used in the "test" were not even close to the models we have been testing after new years.

I too got a binding with a non-functional flex the first time around, but we quickly got new parts, new boots and new bindings. And I can ensure there was a HUGE difference. It'n not long ago I gave my last feedback, reports and discussed with both ALFA and Rottefella. They have gotten a lot of written feedback and reports from some serious testers, including us at Åsnes, Aleksander Gamme and many others. All of us positve after they have listened to our reports and all the way improved the system. So this review in Utemagasinet kind of puzzles me, as it is in no way representive of the feedback from hundreds of shops, testers and developers included in this project.

In my opinion, this review should have never been published. But hey, I guess he just reviewed what he got and did'nt think of all the work done afterwords. None of the involved parties were ever consulted about the review in Utemagasinet either.
In my book, there is noting wrong with Pål Trygve criticizing the system... Of course it goes against the big marketing machine... Know what? I prefer Pål Trygve to that big freaking merchandising bulldozer.

Not saying that the Explore is bad. It seems, on the contrary, promising... But if someone criticizes it, it should be received as an opportunity to improve the bébelle. I am a bit perplex about that «shut up» reaction....
Hi again, everyone.

Seems like my comment created a bit of "heat"?

To be clear: On the the behalf of Åsnes, we don't mind constructive criticism at all. On the contrary, we very much welcome it. But as it was pointed out, the review was done during a critical phase of the R&D for Rottefella. The best would be to contribute to further improve the concept and give a full review when there is a final product on the market, at least in my opinion....

Further more, Rottefella is the producer of the binding, so we're just helping them. If they want to take our feedback to consideration, good for them, if not - it's their choice. I'm giving my, very objective, point of view of the binding here. And to be clear and direct again; they have listened to all feedback - and there have been continuous development and improvements on both the bindings and the boots. This is also why I feel the review from Pål Trygve Gamme is not really that representative, as there has been almost a year of testing and further developments since he got some of the first prototypes.

I'm not sure what agreement he had with Rottefella and Alfa, and frankly it does not matter. But I'm pretty sure Rottefella asked for a really honest feedback for their R&D department at an early stage. There might have been a communication error at some point, but I don't know and I don't want to speculate either. His review is good, detailed and gives a fair assessment of the binding and boots he tested at the current point of time. But the facts are that there have been done major improvements and tweaks to boots and bindings since then. Something he should be honest and up front with.

Yes, I'm working with marketing, but on the other hand I'm a very honest and direct skiing enthusiast. I would not speak positively of the Xplore system if I did not really think it had something to offer. If that was the case, I would rather sit still and not compromise my integrity… A lot of people come to me for advice, so my integrity and my personal opinions are important for me, personally and in the Norwegian skiing community. My personal values and beliefs are more important to me than to be part of a "marketing machine", especially when I sign a statement with my name and not only Åsnes as a brand.

I truly believe Xplore to be a good addition to Rottefella BC bindings and 75mm. It is in no way a substitution for either of the bindings, but at REALLY good addition to other good, functional and well tested bindings. For some it might be "THE" binding, and for others it might not be the right choice. That's how it is with everything.

For me personally, as I have mentioned before, I would rather use a BC binding for the narrower and more directional skis, but I'm really excited about the Xplore binding for wider skis like the Falketind 62, Rabb 68 or Nosi 76.

Alpina will also launch boots, and there will be tweaks done to both the binding and the boots before launch in October. There will also be additions, with new boot models and add-ons to the bindings in the future. Remember, this is a first ever launch, so as with all sports equipment, there will be a rapid development of boots and other complementary equipment in the next years.

To everyone asking about wider waxless skis:

>This is NOT something we have scrapped as an idea. But we have also had to do some significant prioritizing the last 1,5 half year due to the global pandemic. Meaning that development has been delayed. The number one priority has been to secure development of our most crucial models for the coming two seasons, and to secure enough skis from production at all. When, and if, the time is right - wider skis with waxless patterns will be launched.

We're discussing a number of development projects, and North America and similar markets - and their feedback, is important for us. Nut we would rather postpone and do a proper testing and development than launching a half-finished product. Åsnes as a brand takes it's role seriously and our main design focus is to: design trustworthy, innovative, functional and genuine products. These words also represent some of our key values. Åsnes is known for high quality products intended for use in harsh environments. Quality is always priority nr. 1.

Because of this, we take our time and do our due diligence. We are, in fact, testing wider skis with waxless patterns as we speak. And we have absolutely not decided to not produce skis in this segment. We have just decided to use enough time to focus on a good process, testing and proper development before we decide how -or if we will move forward with these products.

I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings, and that we can all be friends from now on. Let's just be friends and focus on what we all love - skiing! We all want what's best for skiing :)
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:38 am

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 am

So to clearify for everyone:

SNIP

I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings, and that we can all be friends from now on. Let's just be friends and focus on what we all love - skiing! We all want what's best for skiing :)
Thanks Crister. Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Just for the absence of any doubt, I'm still available to endorse my signature Åsnes Musk Ox.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 am

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 am
I too got a binding with a non-functional flex the first time around, but we quickly got new parts, new boots and new bindings. And I can ensure there was a HUGE difference.
His review is good, detailed and gives a fair assessment of the binding and boots he tested at the current point of time. But the facts are that there have been done major improvements and tweaks to boots and bindings since then.
For me personally, as I have mentioned before, I would rather use a BC binding for the narrower and more directional skis, but I'm really excited about the Xplore binding for wider skis like the Falketind 62, Rabb 68 or Nosi 76.
Alpina will also launch boots, and there will be tweaks done to both the binding and the boots before launch in October. There will also be additions, with new boot models and add-ons to the bindings in the future. Remember, this is a first ever launch, so as with all sports equipment, there will be a rapid development of boots and other complementary equipment in the next years.
You comes across overly defensive Christer, so I have cut out that parts; Just state the facts and people will form their own opinion, often regardless of what else you say. I do think it's strange that the very thorough tests in utemagasinet.no doesn't state clearly that the boots and binding are prototypes and has since been improved/changed. I can only speculate why, so I'll refrain from doing so.

I am very pleased by your comments on the improvements and it gives me hope that Xplore can replace 75mm on my Fischer E109, and I can avoid buying NNN BC both for my tour skates (currently used with NNN and combi boot as 75mm didn't work properly) and my brand new Åsnes Ousland skis. Xplore looks very good if I can get away with one pair of boots for all of the above (or possibly two with a wider ski if a burlier boot with plastic/reinforced cuff is released). I still have trouble seeing the current binding justify the almost 3x price of NNN BC and it's a bit wide close to the base for use in machine prepared tracks, but I still hope it can replace both BC and 75mm for backcountry use in the long run for most people, as a user-friendly system with a a proper patterned rubber sole and excellent performance both flat, uphill and downhill. Perhaps an other/improved binding model could fit better in prepared tracks as the binding still looks narrower the shoe. What is the reason you prefer NNN BC over Xplore for narrower and more directional skis Christer?

I don't see Xplore as a competitor to a light plastic boot with NTN/tech fittings, as the current boots with rubber sole are still lighter and softer with less torsional rigidity. Maybe if burlier boots for Xplore are released it can compete more, but I still think the two systems are complimentary. There will of course be some overlap on wider skis where either system would fit, depending on user's preference, but I think Xplore will be better on moderate inclines and especially on flats, while NTN/Tech will be better skiing down (at least on firm/hard/difficult snow). I would not expect to mount Xplore on a wide ski like Nosi 76, except for specialty use in soft snow on more mellow terrain, but Christer's suggestion makes me curious. I am also very curious on what addons are planned for the binding and system? Snowshoes looks like a excellent fit for the system.

I hope Xplore and NTN will thrive and grow the popularity of our sport, but it will be many years before we see the results. I will use both systems for different tours and can hopefully pension my 75mm binding and old backcountry boots, but will keep the original Scarpa Terminator and Asolo Extreme for use with Voile Switchback on a pair of medium wide skis (should have been a Tua) for nostalgic reasons.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 am

telerat wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 am
You comes across overly defensive Christer, so I have cut out that parts; Just state the facts and people will form their own opinion, often regardless of what else you say.
With all due respect bro, this is a forum, we are here to chat, if we all start censuring ourselves and attain the summit of "politically correct", this place is going to get uber boring. I think its good to let the emotions through, the passion, the guts. Spill it out. Be honest even if not perfect.

We are a bunch of opinionated tele freaks. Just stating a fact! ;)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 am

The new XPLORE conversation has been moved here:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=40604
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."