The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 am

turnfarmer wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 pm
@Åsn@Åsnes1922
You have Asolo Extremes lied as a favorite boot. As it was mine back in th day, how would you compare the new Alfa boo to the old Extreme?
OOOOhhh. That's a hard question. I don't think anything compares to the good old Asolos, but hey, that's just me.

On the more serious note though, it's really hard to compare. It's two very different things and two very different systems. But I would say the new Alfa boots and the Xplore systems made me rediscover some of the feeling from a good, old and stiff system. It's stiff, precise, and intuitive from the beginning. And with the changes we did during testing, it got better and better. So the final product will for sure give some of the same feelings as an old stiff 75mm boot and wire bindings.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:52 am

Crister, it is great to have your updates and insights on these new products. My most serious challenging terrain and snow ski is the Tindan. I still have not put out a review, as conditions just do not require more than my Falketind. However there are times the Falketind just isn’t enough ski, especially trail breaking in deep snow.
While Telemark is a style developed in Norway, it is a style that has found much love in North America. AT gear is good gear, but it isn’t Nordic skiing. It certainly isn’t great for longer rolling approaches. However even if they had light weight rockets in AT boots to push across the flats, it would not bring the joy to the heart of Nordic skiers.
So for these reasons, and because you estimated a mid eighty millimeter waist to be the upper limit for good control utilizing the Xplore system. I hope you would relate to Åsnes that a mid-eighties ski, sold in lengths up to at least the high 180 cm range, would find a market here in North America. I apologize that due to my geography I have not reviewed the Tindan, I have enjoyed it to date. I hope to travel more next season, and will be putting more time on this ski.
As winter turns to spring, embrace the season and enjoy the time you get outside!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:56 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 am
[On the more serious note though, it's really hard to compare. It's two very different things and two very different systems. But I would say the new Alfa boots and the Xplore systems made me rediscover some of the feeling from a good, old and stiff system. It's stiff, precise, and intuitive from the beginning. And with the changes we did during testing, it got better and better. So the final product will for sure give some of the same feelings as an old stiff 75mm boot and wire bindings.
That sounds exactly like what I want.

I wonder if any of the boots will be available in North America, preferably in some store in New England where I could try them out in person :)

I have just about worn out my BCX675 boots. It may be time for an upgrade, if I can get it...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:28 pm

@@Åsnes1922
Thank you very much for giving us this excellent preview of Xplore binding.
Your description of the Alfa Free boot is of particualr interest-
I am wondering whether this new binding is worth the investment without getting a boot with enough support and torsional rigidity to take advantage of the binding...

For example- I have the Alfa Guard BC boot- this boot is very soft- it is truly a XC boot- and as such I LOVE this XC boot for Nordic touring. I see that Alfa will offer an Xplore version of the Guard boot-
I wonder whether the downhill control using the Guard boot will really be that much better with the Xplore binding than it is with NNNBC?
I am wondering whether one needs a much more supportive/stiffer boot to truly take advantage of the downhill capabilities of the Xpore binding?

Crister- have you tested any of the softer XC boots with the Xplore binding?

I am assuming that the Free boot is going to be much more expensive than the already pricey Guard boot, but I am wondering if there is any point in getting the Xplore binding- over NNNBC- unless one gets the Free boot...
Your descriptions of the flexors with the Xplore binding are helpful as well-
I too prefer some binding resistance for Nordic touring- I personally see it as essential-
The flexor definitely helps with controlling the ski when one wants to pick up the ski- kick turns- step turns- jump turns- striding turns.
I do sometimes take the flexor out of my NNNBC binding if I want to climb an extended steep trail with skins.
Based on your description I would definitely want both the standard flexor and the stiffer flexor for chargning downhill!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Åsnes1922
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:52 am
Crister, it is great to have your updates and insights on these new products. My most serious challenging terrain and snow ski is the Tindan. I still have not put out a review, as conditions just do not require more than my Falketind. However there are times the Falketind just isn’t enough ski, especially trail breaking in deep snow.
While Telemark is a style developed in Norway, it is a style that has found much love in North America. AT gear is good gear, but it isn’t Nordic skiing. It certainly isn’t great for longer rolling approaches. However even if they had light weight rockets in AT boots to push across the flats, it would not bring the joy to the heart of Nordic skiers.
So for these reasons, and because you estimated a mid eighty millimeter waist to be the upper limit for good control utilizing the Xplore system. I hope you would relate to Åsnes that a mid-eighties ski, sold in lengths up to at least the high 180 cm range, would find a market here in North America. I apologize that due to my geography I have not reviewed the Tindan, I have enjoyed it to date. I hope to travel more next season, and will be putting more time on this ski.
As winter turns to spring, embrace the season and enjoy the time you get outside!
Noted! I'm currently cooking something up. And hopefully, we can please you with a new 86mm ski in a few seasons :)

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:37 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:28 pm
@@Åsnes1922
Thank you very much for giving us this excellent preview of Xplore binding.
Your description of the Alfa Free boot is of particualr interest-
I am wondering whether this new binding is worth the investment without getting a boot with enough support and torsional rigidity to take advantage of the binding...

For example- I have the Alfa Guard BC boot- this boot is very soft- it is truly a XC boot- and as such I LOVE this XC boot for Nordic touring. I see that Alfa will offer an Xplore version of the Guard boot-
I wonder whether the downhill control using the Guard boot will really be that much better with the Xplore binding than it is with NNNBC?
I am wondering whether one needs a much more supportive/stiffer boot to truly take advantage of the downhill capabilities of the Xpore binding?

Crister- have you tested any of the softer XC boots with the Xplore binding?

I am assuming that the Free boot is going to be much more expensive than the already pricey Guard boot, but I am wondering if there is any point in getting the Xplore binding- over NNNBC- unless one gets the Free boot...
Your descriptions of the flexors with the Xplore binding are helpful as well-
I too prefer some binding resistance for Nordic touring- I personally see it as essential-
The flexor definitely helps with controlling the ski when one wants to pick up the ski- kick turns- step turns- jump turns- striding turns.
I do sometimes take the flexor out of my NNNBC binding if I want to climb an extended steep trail with skins.
Based on your description I would definitely want both the standard flexor and the stiffer flexor for chargning downhill!

No problem. Happy to be of any help! Thanks for the feedback!

I have not gotten the opportunity to test all the boots yet, but I have seen some of them. The sole (made by Rottefella) will be the same on all boots. This means you will get most of the same torsional stiffness either way. The sole in itself is essential.

The other boot models will probably not give the same amount of precision as the APS Free, as it has the BOA lacing and a more precise fit. But other than that, I believe them all to be relevant and good.

It's the combination of the sole and the binding that makes the big difference! I think it will be worth the upgrade if you want a more responsive, stable system. There will be a difference between a NNN BC with Guard Advance and a Xplore Binding with the Vista Advance, for sure. But if it is worth the investment? I will let you decide that. Depends on many things. I still believe the NNN BC system is the best system for longer trips, and 100% XC touring.

Either way, as you say, you'll get more out of the Xplore system with a stiffer boot.

The Vista Advance is basically the Guard Advance, with the new Xplore sole. So you know this boot for the most part. The big difference here will be the sole.

For my taste, I actually think I will use the APS Free for shorter days where I do not need that much insulation, for fast touring, or for days where I will earn my turns. For the longer days, I like the height of the Skaget boot and suspect that it will give more support in the shaft/cuff and it's made of leather and has more insulation - so I think I'd use that boot for longer treks and colder days (I would compare it somewhat to the Alpina Alaska boot). But that's me.

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:37 am
...I still believe the NNN BC system is the best system for longer trips, and 100% XC touring.
For my taste, I actually think I will use the APS Free for shorter days where I do not need that much insulation, for fast touring, or for days where I will earn my turns. For the longer days, I like the height of the Skaget boot and suspect that it will give more support in the shaft/cuff and it's made of leather and has more insulation - so I think I'd use that boot for longer treks and colder days (I would compare it somewhat to the Alpina Alaska boot). But that's me.
Regarding the first point; I am hoping to replace my 75 mm boot (Asolo Morgedal) and binding (Rottefella 75mm cable) on my Fischer E109 which I use for mountain skiing, both up, down and flat. The binding is too much for the boot and the boot is too soft for E109. I wanted a new 75mm shoe without Norwegian welt for water resistance, but those are often not very torsional rigid/quite soft in the sole, and I expect the Xplore system to work fine for that. In addition I have a pair of tour-skates that I use NNN-binding on, and would very much like a shoe with a proper rubber sole. Unfortunately 75mm don't work good on the skates. I also plan on getting a pair of Åsnes Gamme or Fischer E99 in addition for tours including some groomed tracks. Multiple use of the same boot is very tempting, even though the Xplore binding is a bit expensive. Will Xplore be a good solution or would you recommend NNN BC for this use?

I also think the Skaget boot looks very good, being quite high with a proper rubber rand, but I'm curious on the support it provides. For once I'm like the cheapest boot the most. In the pictures it also looks like there is an Xplore version of the Alpina Alaska and a Rossignol BC X11 in the background. Alaska is the boot I have been most tempted to buy for 75mm, but I'm not sold on the lacing and the sole feels a bit soft.

I'm curious on how the sole for Xplore is constructed to make it torsional rigid, but all picture I have seen are from the bottom. I also can't stop wondering how the system would perform with a suitable heel cable if the sole had groves and the binding fastening points for it.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:16 pm

@@Åsnes1922 Good point on the importance of sole stability. It certainly does make a big difference- especially downhill- and it will certainly make a big difference with the Guard boot- which has a very soft and relatively unstable sole.

I too am very interested in the Skaget boot!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm

telerat wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm
I am hoping to replace my 75 mm boot (Asolo Morgedal) and binding (Rottefella 75mm cable) on my Fischer E109 which I use for mountain skiing, both up, down and flat. The binding is too much for the boot and the boot is too soft for E109.
I am not sure if I understand you here telerat...
Why do you say that the 75mm binding is too much for the E109? Which binding are you using?
And why do you think the Morgedal is too soft for the E109? I own both the E109 and the Mordegal and think that this boot would be ideal with the E109 (I am using the Svartisen BC/Alaska BC/Guard BC with the E109 and think it is a perfect match).

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:14 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm
telerat wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm
I am hoping to replace my 75 mm boot (Asolo Morgedal) and binding (Rottefella 75mm cable) on my Fischer E109 which I use for mountain skiing, both up, down and flat. The binding is too much for the boot and the boot is too soft for E109.
I am not sure if I understand you here telerat...
Why do you say that the 75mm binding is too much for the E109? Which binding are you using?
And why do you think the Morgedal is too soft for the E109? I own both the E109 and the Mordegal and think that this boot would be ideal with the E109 (I am using the Svartisen BC/Alaska BC/Guard BC with the E109 and think it is a perfect match).
I own a Morgedal as well and also believe its sole is too soft for a cable binding. Then again, I also agree with LC that the Morgedal is a good match for a E99 or E109.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM