The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:07 pm

Rottefella XPLORE Off-Track binding.jpg

UPDATE: Please see the latest complete review right here:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=40604

Once named the "Rottefella Backcountry System" in the 2019 catalog, sometimes called The Rottefella Explore or Explorer binding by manufacturers, here is the official XPLORE binding.

Available for the 21/22 season. No official weight yet, but the pre-production prototype is apparently 530g a pair. The concept here is to have one single pair of boots for every type of activity (And therefore justifying the price tag of the boots...) Not exactly a new concept, but the XPLORE is supposed to offer the very best for every different use you can make of it. Yes, at last! A 2-pin system designed especially for XCD!

Now the most important question is... What do YOU think? The next big thing or the next Skyhoy? According to the emails I exchanged with Norway, I can sense that the people involved in beta-testing the XPLORE are SUPER excited about this... And so am I! Just wait until you see the boots now! 8-)

From the Scandinavian Outdoor Award website:

Design: Xplore binding: Øyvar Svendsen
Product material: Binding: TPR/Rubber
Product weight: Binding 530 g/pair

PRIMARY INNOVATION FEATURES
The Xplore system redefines ski touring, increases the pleasure of skiing and opens possibilities for new adventures. The binding and the flex point in the sole let you ski naturally and efficiently, so you can cover longer distances, climb with less effort and improves the grip. The stability in the system improves the ski handling and makes you a better skier. The stability of the binding and the boots will make it possible to drive even demanding downhill runs. Step in and out of the binding with ease and an outsole designed for walking in winter terrain.

INTENDED SPECIFIC END USE

Backcountry skiing with greater stability than normal BC equipment for more varied experiences. The Xplore system is intended for a wide range of uses, from day trips in forests and fields to multi-day trips in the high mountains.

SUSTAINABILITY INFORMATION
Paramount criteria for the Xplore products, and all of the Rottefella products, are functionality as well as lasting quality that you can rely will last for many years. At the same time it should be inspiring and look innovative.

Price: 265$ USD

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Hopefully Rotte can find a couple NA Beta testers. Hopefully some Beta testers that will be recognized on these pages.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:45 pm

WHOOOOA!!!!!

This gives me a much better picture of this Johnny- thank you!
Wow.
Very cool.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 am

Hi guys!

Nice to see that you're interested in the new Rottefella binding. It gets a lot of attention pretty much everywhere, and it is an interesting development. I won't disclose too much as of yet, but I can say that we're excited about this binding here at Åsnes. We will also tune (re-amp) models that are perfect and develop some new models, specifically designed to function really well with this system, but that can also be used with 75mm/BC bindings.

A thing we're really excited about is the fact that we will soon have a binding that can utilize the full potential of or wider skis, especially the Falketind 62, the Rabb 68, and the Nosi 76. This is probably some of the most exciting developments for telemark and Nordic BC in a long time.

I'm currently doing tests of this binding, and I just received a good collection of boots. We've had the binding for quite some time, and we have been really involved with both Rottefella and ALFA - the drivers of this concept. Alpina will also send us some boots very soon. So far, we're stoked about it.

We have carved and charged pretty hard with the lighter boots and the binding on the Falketind 62 ski. Its torsional rigidity is so far very impressive, meaning you can do parallel turns as well as carve out proper tele-turns, even on groomers and hardpack. The toe-pice and the springloaded pins seem to be BOMBER so far and the weight of the binding is low. The development Rottefella's plan for add-ons will also be intriguing, but I can't tell too much about that as of yet. In short, the binding, replaceable parts, intended customizations, and collection of boots allow for a lot of possibilities and options - probably making it suitable for different skiing styles and optimizations for various use.

If this system can survive a full season with me and some of the other testers using it now, I'm more than confident it will be more than good enough for almost everyone.

I just talked to Aleksander Gamme after he tested it for a while, and he is really positive!

Stay tuned!
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 am

Excited to check these out when the hit the stores, especially seeing that the bindings are adaptable for different types of skiing.

@Åsnes1922, I guess you are sworn to secrecy at the moment, but are you able to say whether the Alfa boots you are testing are all brand new models, or are some older models with the new sole system? Just asking because I had a super hard time finding boots that fit me just right (Alfa Skarvet) so would be stoked if they are keeping the same last shape and offering different options for soles/bindings.
Cheers, Leo

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 am

Leo Tasker wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 am
Excited to check these out when the hit the stores, especially seeing that the bindings are adaptable for different types of skiing.

@Åsnes1922, I guess you are sworn to secrecy at the moment, but are you able to say whether the Alfa boots you are testing are all brand new models, or are some older models with the new sole system? Just asking because I had a super hard time finding boots that fit me just right (Alfa Skarvet) so would be stoked if they are keeping the same last shape and offering different options for soles/bindings.
Cheers, Leo
Yes, I'm somewhat sworn to some paperwork. But most of the boot models from both Alfa and Alpina will be based on former bestsellers. The lighter and cheaper models from Alfa is somewhat close to the Skarvet and Guard Advance boots. As well as a lighter model. The higher-end model will be the one they have announced in their marketing material, specifically designed for the binding and with a stiffer and more rigid construction. I'm sure you will find a good fit for you if the Skarvet boot fits you well!

From what I have seen, and the information we have provided Alpina, they will probably do something similar, with one model based on the Alaska boots and with a lighter and cheaper option as well as a stiffer and more specific model developed for the Xplore system.

But I do not know for sure what the end-product will be, even though I have my inside information and suspections, that I cannot share with you.

Either way, the quality of the sole will be ensured in terms of quality, as Rottefella are the ones producing the different soles. And I can ensure you that the soles on all the boots will be really good either way.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:29 am

Tusen Takk Christer! I'm super happy with my setup at the moment, but the lure of the shiny and new is strong... :lol:

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks for update. It looks like I prejudged the system, It seems the white plate gives a total free heel option. Maybe not as seamless as I would have liked but at least it is there!

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:24 am

Crister,

Please Please influence Alpine to bring back the BC-2000 for this system!
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.20.44 AM.png

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 am

All the info about the new Alfa XPLORE boots right here:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3564

Rottefella, Asnes and Alfa, the holy trinity of XCD!

Rottefella XPLORE Alfa Asnes.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."