Combat NATO or Gamme 54, same same?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Laurence C

Re: Combat NATO or Gamme 54, same same?

Post by Laurence C » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Nice to read you guys, think I'll just stop going out and just listen to the sound of the specs and experience. Permanent smile. If anybody is interested, 1) will take time to appreciate Asmundsen Ben, having fun (before eight in Quebec) 2) will try NATO and have fun, 3) will learn, sell, buy, telle the truth of my spendings to GF (good topic?), carve (why not), make mistakes and have fun doing it, and maybe write something useful about it one day. Most helpful community of people, best regards

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 pm

WOOOOOO!!!! Just received my NATOs and tried em!
Yes Ben, couldn't wait next season!
Way more fit for my needs. Hills, mountain, hors piste, Deeper snow.

Ok, I'm stuck in the city because of "couvre feu" in Quebec but still could can go on Mont-Royal's forest. Fresh cold snow one day, heavier wetter snow the other.

It's wayyyy smoother than the Amundsen, I can feel what you said about stiffness (by comparing), it climbs well even with short skins, feels more stable, turns not as easy as I expected (but hey, skis don't make the skiers) but feels better, more fun. And I love the all white skis since I have to look at em (like it more than faces or logos), frees my mind (like Ray Jardine said, I like to hide all logos of my gear, it really makes me feel more in nature and more about what the gear does).

Now I can start comparing my two skis and put the experience into words. But for now, just really really happy with the NATO.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Laurence C wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 pm
I work hard to tame the fevers of new kids on the block. I realize though, by the time most here start participating in the frenzy, its too darn late, they've already read way too many "Why you need 23 kinds of skis" threads. :o

Enjoy the NATOs, their a great ski. But imagine what you could do with a pair of FT62s! :shock:
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Laurence C wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 pm
WOOOOOO!!!! Just received my NATOs and tried em!
Way more fit for my needs. Hills, mountain, hors piste, Deeper snow.
Wonderful! Thanks for the update!
turns not as easy as I expected (but hey, skis don't make the skiers) but feels better, more fun.
Did you de-tune those razor-sharp factory edges at the shovel and tail? It won't turn the Combat Nato into a downhill ski, but it will sure make the ski smoother in turn-initiation and release.
And I love the all white skis since I have to look at em (like it more than faces or logos), frees my mind (like Ray Jardine said, I like to hide all logos of my gear, it really makes me feel more in nature and more about what the gear does).
I too like plain graphics.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:10 pm

I won't read your posts until I get richer... But honnêtement, feels like I found what I was looking for, new skis will be for new types of skiing... Or is it...

[/quote]
But imagine what you could do with a pair of FT62s!
[/quote]

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:13 pm

@lilcliffy

Haven't done anything to the sharp edges yet, will try to find how on the Internets and will do, thanks

Eärendil
Ski style: Ski touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Eärendil » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:33 pm

Laurence, which size Nato did you go for?

The problems you had with Amundsen and the skins, did you mostly notice that while hauling a backpack?

//Rickard//

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:13 pm

@@Eärendil

NATO chosen length : 190
I'm 172cm, 73kg + 15kg gear.
Going shorter than could because riding in woods often.

Problem was with the combi fix 45mm. Yes I had a backpack. I don't know how but I probably did something wrong, it's like the fix was sliding too low on the Asmundsen, plowing-braking by touching ground, even on flat.

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Since Montreal ski season seems close to an end, I simply wanted to thank this community, thanks for the advices, humor and info (directly or written elsewhere), I had a greater moment skiing because of you.