Suggestions for some soft shell pants?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Suggestions for some soft shell pants?

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Might be time for me to update my old Sierra Designs wind pants from the 80's. I have a good hard shell, but am looking for something more breathable, durable, and especially, that they have a good seal at the ankle/cuff that will fit either my Excursions or Alaskas. The old SD's have the best system I've ever had; I have never needed to wear gaiters with 'em.

Anyone have a particular favorite for general BC sort of stuff?

jalp

Re: Suggestions for some soft shell pants?

Post by jalp » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:59 pm

My current favorite is the Outdoor Research Cirque II. They have ankle zips, elastic ankle draw cords, and an integrated lace hook that pairs super well with my Alaska BC and 75. They also have 2 small eyelets at the bottom of each leg where one could possibly attach a cord running under foot. They work well with my Excursions also although it would be cool if I could clip the lace hook to something. First season with them and happy with the breath-ability, wind resistance and ability to shed snow. Me: Pants size Large, Excursions 27.5, Alaska BC size 43, Alaska 75 size44. I will however add gaiters depending on the day, sometimes just for extra warmth.

Landscraper

Post by Landscraper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Hiya phoenix

I'm really enjoying the following pants:

Norrona Falketind Flex1 Heavy Duty :twisted:
Mont Bell Roche Pant
Salomon Agile Warm

I've always wanted to get my hands on a pair of Lundhags but alas I cannot find them here in the US.

None of these are specifically ski pants, so they lack some of the dedicated features that a ski pant would, powder cuff, etc ... but they are put through the paces from hiking to skiing to snowshoeing, etc when temps fall here in VT.

I think out of all of them the Norrona are the thinnest, they have a more "tech face" feeling fabric while the Mont Bell is more fleece back / brushed back softshell fabric ... I routinely default to a Salomon Agile Warm pant for the sportier days on groomed snow or in the tracks.

The Norrona are thin, but they have a full thigh length vent, unzip the same zip from the cuff and you'll open a non-vented gusset for slipping over a boot all backed up with a velcro closure.

Keep in mind, however, that you need to be built like a Japanese athlete to get the most out of Mont Bell ... they definitely offer the best price:gear ratio (especially for ultralight hiking goodies) but can be cut a little off for what might be considered an average athletic body type here in the US.

People also seem to like the OR pants as mentioned above. The Cirque and Trailbreaker seem feature rich and at the right price.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:26 pm

I found the OR Trailbreaker to be uncomfortable because it was low-waisted for me and rode on my hips, rather than my waist. I had to cinch them up tight and they still slipped down.
The Arc’teryx Gamma AR pants are real comfortable, in that respect, but aren’t what you’re looking for.
I found the Mammut Tatramar to be pretty nice. I’m tall, and that’s one of the few tech pants that is offered in a “long” inseam. Has side vents with mesh to keep snow out, has elastic inner cuff, lots of other features.
Another plus, they come in actual waist sizes, rather than S, M, L, ...
I found, and most reviews say, go up one waist size (maybe the Swiss don’t need to be flattered with down-numbered clothing sizes). :roll:
https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/1021-003 ... pants-men/
No affiliation, just like ‘em.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 am

I really like the Revolution Race GPX Pro pants, similar style to Fjallraven/Lundhags but at a more reasonable price. A mix of polycotton and soft shell material, they are super hard wearing, breathable and a really nice cut for skiing/hiking. They only sell direct through the website, but the sizing is pretty accurate in my experience. The ankle cuff is snug on my Alfa Skarvet, not sure how they would be on the Excursions...

https://www.revolutionrace.com/men/pant ... Color=2301

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:01 am

I suggest Johnson (VT) wool “Malone” pants and OR gaters.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:35 am

Telerock, I have the Johnson Woolens pants! And Chouinard gaiters... looking for something a little different.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:55 am

For a combination of waterproofness and breathability, it's hard to beat eVent, or one of the products licensed out like DryQ elite. North Face Dry Vent, on the less expensive end is also really good with effective gaiters, breathes well and has an inner liner for a bit more warmth.
Flylow makes great stuff and the Chemical pant is on sale (though still pretty pricey) and has an "Intuitive" 3 layer construction. That and the Compound pant with eVent are both great, but again, $$$$.
For old school, Fjallraven makes good pants that can be waxed (for that matter, you can wax just about anything), providing a good level of waterproofness and wind resistance if you're getting clothes for light XC.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:15 am

I'm a big fan of the OR Trailbreaker Pant. The problems that Stephen mentioned are not an issue for me, but I'm only 5'8" (173 cm). I don't wear a belt with mine, I use the suspenders, and I can keep them loose around the waist, so maybe that is the difference between my experience and Stephen's. Also, mine are a 2018 version and these companies continually change their products, sometime with "improvements" and keep the same name.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 am

Leo Tasker wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 am
I really like the Revolution Race GPX Pro pants, similar style to Fjallraven/Lundhags but at a more reasonable price. A mix of polycotton and soft shell material, they are super hard wearing, breathable and a really nice cut for skiing/hiking. They only sell direct through the website, but the sizing is pretty accurate in my experience. The ankle cuff is snug on my Alfa Skarvet, not sure how they would be on the Excursions...

https://www.revolutionrace.com/men/pant ... Color=2301
Thanks for the tip, looks like a solid pant and not a wallet breaker either.

BTW I think your username got hacked last week, might want to change up your password. Unless you were leaving weird ass posts for fun!