Need lightweight Tele ski recommendations

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
WIPP3RMANN

Need lightweight Tele ski recommendations

Post by WIPP3RMANN » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Hello fellow snow sports enthusiasts.

I am purchasing a new ski setup soon and would love your help choosing skis. I currently ski on Sbound 112's, voile 3-pin cable bindings and Scarpa T4's. I like this setup for skiing singletrack and skinning laps at my local resorts (Breckenridge and Keystone), but I'd like to get a wider ski and some free-pivoting bindings for powder laps and low angle backcountry shenanigans with my friends on AT setups. I'd also like to ride them for chairlift resort laps as well. That said, touring performance is more important than stiff equipment for resort laps. I'm a pretty tame skier and just like smooth, soulful turns.

Might purchase some T2's down the road for resort skiing, but I love the touring performance of my T4's. I'm just not sure how much ski they can power.

So far the UltraVectors seem like they fit the bill, and Voile Switchbacks seem like a good choice as well, but would love your input.

Please post ski and binding recommendations!

rhodekill

Re: Need lightweight Tele ski recommendations

Post by rhodekill » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:33 pm

I am facing same question. T2s feel like a real downhill boot to me. I have gone lighter with a leather boot but struggle on the downhills in hardpack/ice which is most of the year for us on the east coast. I have heard scarpa is working on a new boot similar to current light AT but that we are at least a year away. I am thinking of using my NTN setup with lynx binding and finding a light ski until. a new NTN boot comes out.

WIPP3RMANN

Post by WIPP3RMANN » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:42 pm

I would sell my soul for a lighter, modernized NTN version of the T4.

AlaskaNordic
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double

Post by AlaskaNordic » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 pm

I cant preach too much about lighter I have Annums which weigh about the same as S Bounds, I do have a pair of X2 Switchbacks on them. I did have a pair of 3 pin cables on my old skis and these are simply Ferarris compared to those Fiats, but there are far from light, they tour really nice though. Ultra Vectors or another option is the Rossignol BC 120, I almost pulled the trigger on them but could not say no to the Anums. Good side cut, and a tip rocker to boot, not a ton lighter but it shaves a little. The only thing I can think of lighter than T4s are the Alaskas if that will fit your purpose or maybe the Crispi Svarstien at 950 grams.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:13 pm

Hey Dude, the T4 Ultra Vector is my ultimate quiver of one set up, if there was such a thing, and it goes well with the SB. I think you will love it for what you want to do. You can also kick wax them for lowangle tours and laps

I ski bigger skis than the UV with T4s with good results, but I didn't get there overnight.

Xixi

Post by Xixi » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:07 am

Maybe try to find some Scarpa F1s, F3s or Defenders and pair them with Voile TTS bindings and ski of your choice? If you keep your eyes open on marketplace posts and solicit on same you'll probably come across some eventually. Saw one totally unconfirmed post that Scarpa is redoing their tele lineup and will have some lighter NTN options, FWIW.

WIPP3RMANN

Post by WIPP3RMANN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:11 am

AlaskaNordic wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 pm
I cant preach too much about lighter I have Annums which weigh about the same as S Bounds, I do have a pair of X2 Switchbacks on them. I did have a pair of 3 pin cables on my old skis and these are simply Ferarris compared to those Fiats, but there are far from light, they tour really nice though. Ultra Vectors or another option is the Rossignol BC 120, I almost pulled the trigger on them but could not say no to the Anums. Good side cut, and a tip rocker to boot, not a ton lighter but it shaves a little. The only thing I can think of lighter than T4s are the Alaskas if that will fit your purpose or maybe the Crispi Svarstien at 950 grams.
I appreciate the response. Might look into the BC120's but I think I want to go wider underfoot for pow time. I'm happy with my T4's until a comparable NTN boot comes out. Sounds like we're a ways away from that though. I have some Alaskas that I use on my fischer 78's and 98's. They're good for what they are, but I'm definitely sticking with plastic boots for this setup.

Sounds like switchbacks are the way to go though.

WIPP3RMANN

Post by WIPP3RMANN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Hey Dude, the T4 Ultra Vector is my ultimate quiver of one set up, if there was such a thing, and it goes well with the SB. I think you will love it for what you want to do. You can also kick wax them for lowangle tours and laps

I ski bigger skis than the UV with T4s with good results, but I didn't get there overnight.
I appreciate this, brother! I'm really leaning towards ultravectors in 184cm and Switchbacks. I'm 6'4" and 175 pounds so I think the longest option is probably best, especially since they'll be in soft, dry powder a lot of the time.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:14 am

Völkl Outbacks.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."