Unpimp das Auto

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Unpimp das Auto

Post by MikeK » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Der über Skiwagen, jah?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/volk ... 2014-11-18

Sorry if this a little suburban for the forum, but I'm a car guy and y'all know you'd take one :D

Most likely will never be sold in NA though.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: Unpimp das Auto

Post by Raventele » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 pm

??? No no, this is a Suburban! Oldschool! Pack them skis in!!!
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:47 am

Bwaahahaha!

Yeah, that's a Suburban. My old man had one about 25 years ago. I think the same vintage as that one, looked similar, but was painted yellow (I think he bought it from a school). It was a POS and probably in worse condition than that one.

This was my high school skimobile (actually not that one, I don't have any pictures of mine):

1962 Willys p/up with a L6. That truck was awesome.

No heat, a shitty windshield wiper and a plow. I used to drive it on snow days with my head out the side window so I could see.

I can't count the number of times I crashed it into snowy ditches because it would pop out of second gear and I'd lose control of the rear end. Luckily it was TOUGH.

Top speed: Exactly 60mph and that is all she had. And man with those skinny tires and 4 wheel drum brakes, you were glad that's all it could do.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:40 pm

An old Willy's is still an awesome 4x4 !

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:00 pm

You're telling me. I wish I still had it.

Sometimes I think about getting another one, but man they suck to drive in cities - those kind of trucks just can't keep up with modern traffic. If I lived in the boonies again... maybe...

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 am

Got a 1995 Wrangler uninspectable....Body rotting but what a great ski car!!!! TM

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 am

MikeK wrote:You're telling me. I wish I still had it.

Sometimes I think about getting another one, but man they suck to drive in cities - those kind of trucks just can't keep up with modern traffic. If I lived in the boonies again... maybe...
Pimp it! Get some good shocks and power steering--if you must!..
They will cruise at about 70 ; stay in the slow lane..
And take it out of 4x4 on the freeway..unless .. :lol: :lol:

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:16 am

Yeah I dunno. I'm kinda all about keeping it original for something like that. They are just too cool the way they are.

I know a lot of people lift them, drop v8's and auto trannies in there, but that thing was jewel the way it was:

Flathead straight 6, 3 speed manual with a non-syncho'd 1st gear (no more california stops), big heavy axles and tall skinny tires...

I squeezed that thing through some tight spaces in the woods. That's where they love it, not on the highway.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 am

Hint: to sync the gears, shift to neutral and rev up , it will go in smoothly..if the issue is shifting up, then double clutch..If you are good enough, you can shift down a lot without even using the clutch..
And when there's a foot of fresh snow on the highway and it's maybe drifting deep, they are great.. :lol:

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 am

Oh I know about the rev matching, but it gets much harder in a gear like first because of all the torque, even with a syncho. I decided it was best to just come to a complete stop before shifting into first. You had to as well, it didn't have enough grunt to get going in 2nd in 2wd Hi.

In the woods, in 4wd low, you didn't need first, just use 2nd and 3rd and those were synchro'd. My tranny need a rebuild though because it would pop out of 2nd.