Whitefish Mountain Feb 2021

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

Whitefish Mountain Feb 2021

Post by bauerb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:45 pm

first day at whitefish today. good snow coverage, but not awesome. hopefully it will snow a lot this month. I took the GoPro out today for the first time ever. I'll post videos tonight in this thread. Hopefully I end up posting alot of daily videos. Whitefish is such a great little resort. total opposite of Park City, Vail, Aspen etc...just what I was looking for

bauerb

Re: Whitefish Mountain Feb 2021

Post by bauerb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:51 pm

I am going to try and make videos everyday. Note: this is my first day ever using a GoPro. I have a Hero 4 that I borrowed from my son, I know its not 4K ( sorry)... Anyway, you'll notice in the videos from today that my camera angle was terrible...not too bad on flats, but going down it basically points at my feet...oops. I'll fix that tomorrow

BTW, I have never seen so many people going uphill at an alpine resort. most of them were serious, using what looked like lightweight AT gear. there is a big Skimo race this Saturday( Whitefish Whiteout) could easily be that people were practicing the course today

Stay tuned for Day 2 videos which will include fun things like: First time ever putting skins on my skis and First time ever going up hill using skins....

My battery ran out quickly today, so not as many ski videos as I hoped. I'll sort that out going forward...

First run down to base lodge to buy a ski pass

I have no shame. raw video of me struggling with the OutlawX

First run and chat with Patrol

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:29 pm

I like the dialogue, might not watch all of them, but interesting.
Actually, including feet in the frame seems more relevant.
Whitefish looks like a nice resort.
Seems like a lot of us are hoping for snow.
Have fun!

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 am

Whitefish is great. I’ve done some bc and xc skiing about 30 minutes north of there, spectacular terrain.

If for any reason you go north to Eureka stop at Cafe Jax for breakfast- extremely cool diner.

Miss going Stateside...

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 am

today will be my first ever attempt at skinning uphill. there is a Skimo race on Saturday, and I have no idea if I can realistically enter that race. the "short course" is uphill only on Blue ski runs. 1.4 miles, 2,000ft vert, elevation 4500-6500. there is a 90 min cutoff. on foot in the summer no problem. but I have 5 days to go from 1st time uphill on skins to "be faster than 90 mins"...using burly/heavy tele gear I talked to some of the "normal looking" uphill skiers yesterday, and they said plan on 1hr, or 40 mins if you are hustling. the uphill course record was set by Mike Foote( well known ultra trail runner) in 26 mins!

I had hoped the race would be uphill and straight down, but the Medium and Long courses that go down require 2 transitions and some serious boot hiking up technical terrain. I think I'd be pushing my luck on that, and will stick to the short course( uphill only).

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm

OMG going uphill is HARD. I took a bunch of videos today, I'll post them later. I was at 87% max HR for 80 minutes and I was *not* moving fast...
uphill ski.jpg

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:20 pm

a few videos from today. today was Uphill day !

First time ever putting climbing skins on skis

First time skinning uphill Part 1

First time skinning uphill Part 2
https://studio.youtube.com/video/whm9zi3nSCM/edit

Going down after going up, I was tired

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:44 pm

I took the train to Whitefish when I was 12 because my auntie lived there.
We took her speedboat to the other side of the lake to her cabin below the train tracks.
It was far away and magical.
Looks like your ski trip was too!
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:14 pm

That looks like a heck of a nice place to spend a month, have fun.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 pm

4-6" of fresh snow today