Ski Movies

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Ski Movies

Post by Woodserson » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:50 pm

oldschool47 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:53 pm
bauerb wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm
I have an old scrap book full of ribbons that say "Bill Koch ski league".
Cross-country skiing is the best sport in the world. Swear to God. Cross-country skiing = classic style and skate skiing. Best sport in the world means that it gives your brain more feel-good energy per hour and your body a better aerobic and anaerobic workout per hour than any other sport in existence.

This video of Bill was available for viewing worldwide a few years ago. It's a great clip. I posted it on Epic and Pugski. Why is it no longer available for viewing in the U.S.? Out of sight out of mind? Somebody doesn't want us to see someone, especially a living-legend like Bill, skiing parallel on XC skis? Some sinister group is attempting to Manufacturing Consent?

"Old School Kochie.mov": https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC650C6EA69173C11
Well, here’s another video from the link you posted that hasn’t been found yet by the skating hegemon monster. I gotta say, classic XC really speaks to me, in a deep way. Thankfully the lakes are skiing well now in NH.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Here's a video clip of Bill Koch in his 1976 silver-medal performance, but you have to click the URL -- it didn't allow me to put it on this site:

https://youtu.be/UpyriahuPCU

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:16 am

there was a short ski movie made in the late 70's called "I hope I get a purple ribbon". it was filmed at Blueberry Hill in Goshen VT. I was there and in the movie. the highlight was Bill Koch coming for 1 day. I was 7yo and being in that little film with BK was at the time a bucket list item before anyone ever thought to put lists in buckets. I remember that weekend because we got snowed in over the weekend and had to miss school on Monday ! best weekend ever. it would be amazing if someone found that movie posted somewhere. I found a reference to it in the link below

https://books.google.com/books?id=uSKuP ... ie&f=false

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:30 am

btw, those old ski movies from 76 and 80 bring back so many memories. as a little kid growing up in VT and XC racing from around 1975 - 1988, XC racing = Lifestyle. from the "5 and under lollypop" races to trying to make the USSA regionals and nationals. the early days where skis were sill wooden and would break in races, to the transition from 75mm to all manner of modern equipment, the transition to skating, the waxing, the need for multiple sets of equipment. I was also a ski jumper so I competed in Nordic Combined. those years in VT were epic when I think back about it now. so many memories

1. I remember standing on the start line when I was 4yo, they used a starter pistol to start the race and I just stood there and cried because the loud noise scared me

2. I won alot of races back then, so getting the Monday paper was a big deal because my name was in the race results. i also clipped the newspaper to put in my scrapbook next to the little blue ribbon. my name was always spelled wrong because at that age I didn't write my "U" properly and it was recorded as a "V" - Baver not Bauer....

3. -40 degrees at some race in Maine, NH, VT. so called that "everything" froze and then thawed out in howling pain.

4. giant torches used to melt klyster behind the big station wagon in some snowy parking lot.

5. being intimidated by the racer next to me at the start line( we often started in pairs) because he had all the latest/expensive equipment and my gear was old....it took me a long time to understand that I could beat these guys on my hand me downs and that having used gear and winning was a point of pride, not something to be upset about

I could go on and on about the life lessons learned and experiences I will never forget

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 am

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:54 am

That was a heck of a mogul run. Was that Chuck Flannel? I didn't notice that A frame stance though.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Homeboy in blue skis with great flow in the mogul field... something for me to aspire to.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:26 pm

@lowangle al seems right up your alley here, man.

Last edited by Woodserson on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:40 pm

and because he doesn't like to advertise his accomplishments, more shred from the one and only:

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 am
I know he's got flexible skis, but man you can really see him weight that back ski. He also is not afraid to slow it down. My feeble attempts at mogals on alpine gear always included too much speed, before the CRASH!