Ski Movies

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: Ski Movies

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Rodbelan wrote:It sounds like you are having fun! If you are asking for some comments, I would say that most of your kneeling happen before the fall line. If you take your time, say active till the end of the turn, you will be more stable, specially if the terrain gets bumpy... You go down on your knees, take your edge set, bring your body forward, counter rotated, slowly, progressively, till the end of the turn... My 1 cent.
YES! I am certainly always looking for advice so I can CRUSH IT!

So get down as soon as possible-- before I cross the fall line on the new turn-- and carry it as long as possible, is that what you're effectively getting at? Is this a good example (I fast forwarded to the good part):
It is actually the exact opposite! You need to kneel through the turn, not kneel and then turn... you need to take your time. Look at this:
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
It is actually the exact opposite! You need to kneel through the turn, not kneel and then turn... you need to take your time. Look at this:
Ok ok, I get it. We're on the same page, just getting to the correct sentence. Great video! I will study and hopefully get another opportunity for someone to record me and I'll resubmit my Teleskier application! Thanks

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:59 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Woodserson wrote: I am certainly always looking for advice

You might look better if you tucked your shirt in. You are making us look bad, next thing they'll be calling us dirtbags. ;) Funny thing is I pictured you to be more of the Harvard type.

^^^ :lol:

Well, I DO drink wine while I mount my skis on my kitchen table/workbench (to my wife's everlasting chagrin).

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 pm

lowangle al wrote:You might look better if you tucked your shirt in.
Now that just cracks me up. I can't count that times I've heard that...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 am

Woodserson wrote:
lowangle al wrote:
Here is a good video on the dying art of carving. Notice how tight and open his turns are. His skis don't get close side by side until his speed picks up.
This is my first season on real tele gear (plastic) and lift-served but I found the above video to be inspiring and incidentally my friend decided to get some vids yesterday. I loved carving so much in my earlier skiing life, it's nice to start to get back into it after so many years. Conditions were spectacular spring corn. Mentorship appreciated:

Sorry for the late response, I didn't have computer access for a few weeks. I didn't see anything wrong with your skiing but it looked like you were unweighting and crossing the fall line at the same time. It's not wrong and it is probably the quickest way to get across the fall line, but not the only way. It probably has a lot to do with your skiing leather boots and straight skis that may have needed a little help getting the turn started. Modern skis don't need that help and will turn easily just by being weighted.

The suggestion I have is to do your transition before changing direction and then edge your skis to turn across the fall line as opposed to crossing the fall line with your skis unweighted. Your turn may not happen as fast but it will improve your carving. The best way to feel what I'm talking about is to do some turns on an easy slope without unweighting your skis at all throughout the entire turn. Once you feel that you can throw in some unweighting during the transition only, before edging, weighting and turning for faster edge to edge carving.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sorry for the late response, I didn't have computer access for a few weeks. I didn't see anything wrong with your skiing but it looked like you were unweighting and crossing the fall line at the same time. It's not wrong and it is probably the quickest way to get across the fall line, but not the only way. It probably has a lot to do with your skiing leather boots and straight skis that may have needed a little help getting the turn started. Modern skis don't need that help and will turn easily just by being weighted.

The suggestion I have is to do your transition before changing direction and then edge your skis to turn across the fall line as opposed to crossing the fall line with your skis unweighted. Your turn may not happen as fast but it will improve your carving. The best way to feel what I'm talking about is to do some turns on an easy slope without unweighting your skis at all throughout the entire turn. Once you feel that you can throw in some unweighting during the transition only, before edging, weighting and turning for faster edge to edge carving.
Thanks Al.

I'm running out of snow to get good at what your and Rod describe... I tried it last week at Wildcat in somewhat marginal conditions with some pretty poor grooming but kept getting off balance and tripping myself up as I transitioned from on turn to the next. I'm not sure why I'm having issues, I thought it would be easier, but so it goes. I think in the meantime it's going to be videos, arm-chair skiing, and patiently waiting for November.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:25 pm

I hope you are not worrying too much since you have a sound turn... Of course, skiing bad conditions is hard for any of us telemarkers... Specially in the backcountry where every day is different... But I am like you; I like to make things better technically speaking. It is very rewarding I guess. But having fun should be primordial. And accept our own limits on a given day (limits that can be pushed later, of course). Whatever, you get the idea. (I sound like a papy; I am sorry for that).
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:43 am

Your skiing is fine as it is. My suggestion is just a different way to make a turn. The difference is in the timing of the turn. You currently appear to start your turn at the same time of your transition. My suggestion is to start the turn after the transition. A couple tips to help you get this are to slow down the turn and don't change direction until after the transition is complete and a using a more open stance will help also. I think you will find this type of carved turn smoother and more stable due to being on your edges for the entire turn. It's just something to think about Woods, the beauty of the telemark turn is that they can be done in a variety of ways that can be correct and fun.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks, guys, I good, having a good time, always enjoying myself. Skiing is my life-long passion! But I'm always working on my skiing and making it better and fine-tuning, experimenting and then returning to try again. I don't get to ski with many free-heelers so it's constructive for me to get tips and suggestions any way I can, including this public forum.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon May 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Back to the GOODS!