TELE vs SKIMO at Last Man Standing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

TELE vs SKIMO at Last Man Standing

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Last Man Standing.

Simple: climb up Black Mountain, ski down. 1000 vert. Do it until you are the last man standing. One lap, every hour. Through the night. Every hour.

Instagram: Skithewhites https://www.instagram.com/ski_the_whites/?hl=en
click on Skithewhites icon and watch the story. click ahead to the end. It's down to 1 Skimo guy all skimoed out and a dirtbag tele skier with broken equipment who is using a Voile strap to hold it all together.

@bubbaek is the Tele Hero in the blue parka and having awake dreams.

It started SATURDAY. They are at 58,000 feet and still going. It's going on RIGHT NOW.

Get on instagram and watch the story. Click on the icon in the upper left if you're not familiar. tap the screen to advance.

AMAZING

GO DIRTBAG TELE GO

bauerb

Re: TELE vs SKIMO at Last Man Standing

Post by bauerb » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm

very cool. I've entered last man standing trail running races...I have never been the last man standing....

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:03 pm

I’m from Michigan. I skied in Vermont once about 30 years ago. I haven’t eaten corn syrup since. My memories of Vermont are fond indeed, but after seeing Mt. Washington, I’ve been wanting to visit the Granite State for a long time.
So I winding to the point where my comments actually are relevant to the thread. I’m really hoping to road trip East. I would like to ski the Granite State, the Green Mountain State, the Empire State is on the list, but I would trade that for a guide in the Keystone Stone happily.
So my new copy of the latest edition of The Best Backcountry Skiing in the Northeast has been read cover to cover a few times, and numerous more times I’ve read about individual tours. One of the tours I have an interest in is the Black Mountain Ski Trail. Now on a road trip, it seems a bit light on the itinerary for one day, climbing the trail and skiing down. However skiing the Black Mountain Trail and The Doublehead Mountain Ski Trail seems ambitious. I means it’s doable, but my days of bragging about how many fire hydrants I peed on are past. I want to smell the conifers, enjoy my peanut butter sandwich with a beer and count my blessings. There is no place for rushing, a vacation is about unwinding.
When I think about my idea of nice skiing trip, and what these men are doing I can only marvel about their strength and stamina. Even when I was young and strong after a 12 hour day on the construction site I was done. These men certainly have incredible strength and stamina. I am impressed, but all the more happy to be a recreational skier. I’m glad if I ever get to the top of the Black Mountain Ski Trail, I can take a nice drink of water, and catch my breath. It doesn’t reach the summit, so the view will not be grand, but I’m sure I will enjoy it. I think there’s a cabin up there, I would take a look. When I ski down, I’ll enjoy the turns. I won’t impress anybody, but I sure will enjoy it!

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:32 pm

And Dirtbag Tele takes the win!!!

That is absolutely insane. Mind: Blown.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:47 am

Massive turnout there on Saturday. Jam packed, cool event, great little mountain, I can actually afford to ski there.. STWs has really made that place a hotspot for uphillers.

Took my kid there Sunday, still busy, rope tow lady was mad we kept going on the wrong side of the tape where the event tents were setup.... Then we broke the rope tow and did a few lift laps, first time I did lift serve with my boy, solid day...

Fisheater: I hope you get the chance to take that trip one day! Black and Doublehead are both great runs.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:15 am

Bolton Valley in Vt used to host a 24hr skimo race. not sure if they still do.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:24 am

Just to clarify, Fish, there is a Black Mountain Ski Area and the Black Mountain Ski Trail, which is the CCC trail in Dave's book. They are close to each other, but two different things.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:31 am

60 hours
60 laps
60,000 vertical feet

61 for Tele Guy

with broken tele boots and a voile strap to hold it all together and a raccoon jumpsuit.

Sheer will power.

Both those guys, amazing!

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:11 am

the only thing I have ever done for 60 hours continuously is breathe.