full length skin for Traverse 78 Crown/Skin

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bogey

full length skin for Traverse 78 Crown/Skin

Post by bogey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Does anybody have a recommendation for a full length skin for Traverse 78 Crown/Skin skis? They are 78mm/61mm/69mm, 189 length, full metal edge, waxless.

https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/tra ... n/skin-332

I'm asking because all the full length skins that I've found so far are 100mm or wider AND the front attachments are wider than 78mm. I plan to cut the skins to fit the skis. So the excessive width is annoying because of wasting much of the skin. But the real problem is the front attachment being too wide.

Or are these skis not meant for a full length skins?

dhdaines
Ski style: Scandinavian Skibreaker
Favorite Skis: E99, E99, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC

Re: full length skin for Traverse 78 Crown/Skin

Post by dhdaines » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Black Diamond used to make something called "GlideLite Mix Nordic Skins" which are good for E99/E109/T78 type skis but they don't seem to exist anywhere this year.

Suggestion I had (as I think I asked this same question for my E99s) is either the narrow Coltex skins like these: https://www.lacordee.com/en/colltex-moh ... bing-skins

or to buy 120mm wide AT skin in bulk and cut it in half:

https://skiuphill.ca/collections/climbi ... -skin-roll

Then you have to add at least a tip loop (tailpiece not strictly necessary) and I am unsure where to find those. Skimo and AT has taken over the world :(

So in other words I am also open to suggestion as I would kind of like some full-length skins in case I decide to go ski Charlevoix!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:36 pm

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:38 pm

45mm coltex at neptune: https://neptunemountaineering.com/colle ... 7669643346

they recently had 60mm in stock (bought a pair a few weeks ago)

bogey

Post by bogey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:57 pm

Woodserson,

How do the spry "Camp Guide Backcountry Contour Skins, 50mm - 210cm" work for a ski that is 190cm? And did you buy the buckles and tail clips separately?

bogey

Post by bogey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:00 pm

John_XCD,

How do the "Asnes 210cm Nylon Skins" work for a ski that is 190cm? It looks like the buckles and tail clips are included. Is that right?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:35 pm

bogey wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:00 pm
John_XCD,

How do the "Asnes 210cm Nylon Skins" work for a ski that is 190cm? It looks like the buckles and tail clips are included. Is that right?

You cut them down. Like any skin. Usually hardware included unless you're buying off the roll.

Nylon is very very grippy. Like Velcro to snow. Mohair is more glidey. Get what you need for your application.

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:25 pm

@Woodserson @bogey

I'm no expert on skins. The cool thing about the combifix system is that instead of cutting for length, you fold the skin over (asnes has a video on youtube). I did not cut the 210cm skins and I have successfully used the same pair with my 189cm s98s and 200cm brediablikk (just marked the right fold point with a sharpie). Seems to work fine despite a section near the tip without glue-- just the folded over skin. Could cut it down a bit but thinking of saving them to also use with a future 210 gamme(?). Also easy to rip without removing skis.

Nylon is serious and seriously unpleasant on gentle grade. I've been happy for prolonged steeps where kickers won't do, but this would not be good as the only option for climbing.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Some Colltex mix 50mm skins for sale. Slim picking this year...

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/collt ... country=US

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:56 pm

John_XCD wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:25 pm
@Woodserson @bogey

I'm no expert on skins. The cool thing about the combifix system is that instead of cutting for length, you fold the skin over (asnes has a video on youtube). I did not cut the 210cm skins and I have successfully used the same pair with my 189cm s98s and 200cm brediablikk (just marked the right fold point with a sharpie). Seems to work fine despite a section near the tip without glue-- just the folded over skin. Could cut it down a bit but thinking of saving them to also use with a future 210 gamme(?). Also easy to rip without removing skis.

Nylon is serious and seriously unpleasant on gentle grade. I've been happy for prolonged steeps where kickers won't do, but this would not be good as the only option for climbing.
usaaf-mukluk-overboots_10270_pic2_size2.jpg
Not mine, but I had surplus WW2 USAAF mukluk overboots. Took them winter camping. I treated the leather footbed with Wesco Bee Seal Plus. Slipping on my ass was a regular event. I had saved my extra length skins and hand-sewed
them on my mukluks soles.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein