Karhu Pioneer & Catamount for newbie

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TheWord

Karhu Pioneer & Catamount for newbie

Post by TheWord » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:03 pm

I've done some XC skiing an tele touring elsewhere on borrowed equipment and have now set out to put together my own setup at the worst possible time.

I have come across two pairs of Karhu skis (pioneer and Catamount in 175cm) for sale (75USD each) and wondered if anyone had first-hand experience with the skis. The Pioneers have a basic NNN binding and the Catamounts have a universal binding that I'm interested in using as a loaner pair for friends.

For reference I'm ~170lbs 5'11" (77kg 180cm) and will be skiing largely on ungroomed skipacked trails or breaking it myself in the rolling Appalachian mountains of West Virginia.
Last edited by TheWord on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ut på tur, aldri sur!"

Lumpy

Re: Karhu Pioneer for newbie

Post by Lumpy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:20 am

The pioneer series are entry level, we have a couple of pairs. They’re good for k&g on relatively flat surfaces, not so much on any type of incline. Downhills are “interesting”. If you plan on breaking trail, use gaiters as there is no float at all. They will simply submarine to the base.

TheWord

Re: Karhu Pioneer for newbie

Post by TheWord » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:20 am
The pioneer series are entry level, we have a couple of pairs. They’re good for k&g on relatively flat surfaces, not so much on any type of incline. Downhills are “interesting”. If you plan on breaking trail, use gaiters as there is no float at all. They will simply submarine to the base.
Thank you! A pair gaiters does seem like a good idea... Would you consider an NNN binding to be stiff enough to handle the ski or have any idea how wide it is? (can it fit in a groomed track if needed?)
Beyond that- do you have any idea what weight range the 175cm is suitable for?
"Ut på tur, aldri sur!"

Lumpy

Re: Karhu Pioneer & Catamount for newbie

Post by Lumpy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm

nnn is perfect for those skis. They will fit into tracks. Not my sure about weight, i’m about 140 & ski 175’s.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 am

I am sorry but Karhu Catamount, with 85mm tips, won't fit in the tracks. You probably mean that the Pionner (65mm tips) will fit. I have a pair of Glittertind (68mm tips) that sometimes barely fit in tracks; when it does, it is not so agreeable...

At your weight, the 175 is really short.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 am

Rod, yes, you are correct. I was referring specifically to the pioneers.

TheWord

Post by TheWord » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:43 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 am
I am sorry but Karhu Catamount, with 85mm tips, won't fit in the tracks. You probably mean that the Pionner (65mm tips) will fit. I have a pair of Glittertind (68mm tips) that sometimes barely fit in tracks; when it does, it is not so agreeable...

At your weight, the 175 is really short.
Thank you! I've unfortunately had alot of difficulty finding weight recommendations for these skis. Would you consider either model to be similar in weight range to the Escape, Pinnacle, or XCD GT?
If they won't fit me I'd hope to use the adaptability of the universal bindings to introduce some friends to the sport.
"Ut på tur, aldri sur!"

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:29 pm

I guess (not sure) that the Pionners are like the Ursa... Same profile. And probably as soft. So you would need to go long — at least 190-200 range for your size.

For the other ones, you could get away with shorter... but as short as 175... that would feel real short for you. These are based on the older 10th Mtn (not the last version which was wider). Similar to the Dorado too.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Young-Grizz
Ski style: Kicking around the woods and hoping for the best

Post by Young-Grizz » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:57 pm

I have a pair of 195cm Catamounts that I use with 75mm bindings. They’re very good in soft or choppy snow, but you’ll probably find them very slow on anything else. The kick zone is really big and they’re pretty soft so you get a ton of drag. They’re great for breaking trail and I’d describe them as a bushwhacking ski but not kick and glide oriented

I think my two cents is that 175 is probably too short but they could be fine to get you on the snow while you look for more skis