Seeking Advice for Self-Made Ski Skins

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Either the last ones I skied, or the ones I should have skied.
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance

Seeking Advice for Self-Made Ski Skins

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Does anyone have experience making skins from scratch?
I want to make some long skins for Ingstad and FT62.
X-Skins are not cutting it on steep climbs.

I’m looking at this material:
https://skimo.co/pomoca-pro-s-glide-roll

At 120 mm, I can get a piece long enough for one ski and cut lengthwise to make two skins.
Good review of this material at:
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ro-s-glide

I’m willing to start with no tail attachment (‘cause I’m lazy, and it might be good enough).
The challenge is the tip attachment.
The FT62 is notched, so that would be easy, but have not found a tip attachment, in stock, that would work for the Ingstad, with the narrower tip. Seems like a wire bale / D ring of about 60mm would work, but haven’t found one.
Going to call Skimo tomorrow and see if they can suggest a tip attachment for a narrower ski, like the Ingstad.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10

Re: Seeking Advice for Self-Made Ski Skins

Post by Woodserson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Try Ragged Mountain Equipment in Intervale, NH. They might have some for sale.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am

I haven’t done it myself... but in trimming and cutting many other skins I’d be really nervous about having success with a long cut to make 2 skins out of one. Personally, I’d look at the ski trab rolls and parts. Skimo race skis are not way different in dimension than your skis.

I know some folks who have cut their own “race” skin notch in skis without it with great success. None were XC(ish) skis though.

fgd135

Post by fgd135 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:56 pm

I'd check ebay and etc., or google for ski skin material and tip/tail kits. For that Ingstad it should be relatively easy to locate some 55 or 60mm width full length skins .
Last edited by fgd135 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 pm

I've made several pairs of skins for my skimo/tele skis by buying fat skins and cutting them in half the long way. Once you rip skins skimo style, you'll never go back! For attachment, I've used the fancy Dynafit rubber knob tip thingies, but I've found a good ol' knotted piece of bungee rope works best. It stretches more, so you don't have to stay bent over as far when pulling it. I like to girth hitch it to a nail, then fold the skin over it and sew or rivet it. Always go plush to plush when making that fold, not glue to glue!

Here's a good page about DIYing it:
http://www.skimolife.com/journal/2015/1 ... -skin.html

dolbaby

Post by dolbaby » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Skimo has a basic front clip here https://skimo.co/contour-skin-parts. Select the Vario buckle. You can fold the skin over and stitch it or secure it with rivets (also available at skimo).

jalp

Post by jalp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:18 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 pm
I’m willing to start with no tail attachment (‘cause I’m lazy, and it might be good enough).
The challenge is the tip attachment.
Well, here's my cheap and easy DIY tip loops. Just a bit of 2" nylon webbing plus some double cap rivets. It's worked well for the few times that I've needed the extra grip (mostly for pulling a pulk up hard packed trails). Those rivets should be available at any leatherwork store. Hand stitching would also be a viable option.
IMG_0485.jpg
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0484.jpg

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Either the last ones I skied, or the ones I should have skied.
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 pm

@bobbytooslow
Thanks for the link! Anyone interested should really read through that — great info.
I had wanted to go Skimo race tips, but the Ingstad doesn’t have a notch.
After reading the info in your link, I would be willing to go for it.
Unfortunately, I’m away from home and have limited tools and resources for the modification (screen shot below):
0C7BE9E7-7FD0-431D-960F-428AAE6D87AF.png
@dolbaby
I wanted to get the order in so ordered earlier. I think I ended up with what you suggested.
If these don’t work out well, I might switch to race tips over the summer and mod the Ingstads to work with that.
D57D54E1-A21C-466C-A08E-858B1AD34B12.jpeg
@jalp
Very simple, nice solution!
I think great for your application.
For more frequent on / off, I think the Skimo race tips might be nicer, because one can remove (rip) the skins from the tip, rather than having to start at the tail.

Later on, I found these, which would have probably worked just fine, at 50mm, but the 60mm I will get with what I ordered should be more grip. Still, these look nice and, with shipping, would have been about the same price.
https://varuste.net/en/p100219/colltex- ... -m-x-50-mm
A72F288F-2D7C-4A21-BA5F-0040453ED56A.png