fluoro-free waxes from Swix

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Krakus

fluoro-free waxes from Swix

Post by Krakus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:34 am

Has anyone tried the new fluoro-free,graphene-containing kick waxes from Swix? Like hard wax VP65 or Nero klisters KN33 and KN44? Ane experience, impressions?

Axamer
Ski style: Télémark
Favorite Skis: K2 Way Back 88-96-104, FT62 Asnes, Eon Madhus, Rossignol Ixium
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2 ECO, Garmont Excursion, Rossignol Ixium

Re: fluoro-free waxes from Swix

Post by Axamer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Hello Krakus. For my part, I tried the Swix KN44 last winter and I frankly found the product very interesting. Yes it's expensive but I noticed a difference. The simple klister tends to ice too easily while sometimes altering the performance of tke ski. My experience on the KN44 has indeed allowed me to observe a smoother glide but also with an excellent kick. I also think it could be applied as a last thin coat. Sometimes as a last thin layer on the klister I apply a sheet of power grip from REX chosen according to the temperature.

So I bought after the KN33 but I have not yet had the opportunity to try it but I expect the same performance. However, because of the new VP waxes, I haven't tried them yet. Let's just say I have stored several VR and will have more for a few years. They are excellent waxes in my opinion up to VR55. After that I use REX products Power Grip and even Res special kister for wet snow or even Start Oslo.

Krakus

Post by Krakus » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:11 am

I am asking about these waxes, as I look for a solution for waxing problems I experience here in Poland especially at spring time, February/March. Very often air, and snow, is still quite cold, few C below zero, but at the same time, there is a lot of sunshine, melting snow in open spaces and causing "rain" and ice fallig from trees. Even if I have a good grip and glide in forest, shaded areas, going into such a wet and hot spot results in immediate icing. I think that the problem may be that ski bases are still cold and contact with water makes it freeze. My thoughts are that some anti-icing, water-repelling wax could help, but I would rather avoid using fluoro waxes. So, maybe these new products could help in such conditions?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 am

Krakus, I have had the opposite problem. Where I have acceptable grip, then hit cold spots and end up with a thick mess of snow stuck to the ski.
When I was on waxless skis, I hot waxed with glide wax including the scales and mostly didn’t stick. Now I wax the base with Swix Polar and mostly don’t stick. I try to wax to not stick, but still have good grip. Sometimes I hit those areas that stick. My only “trick” for those conditions, is to put a light layer of a colder wax over the warmer wax. The cold wax doesn’t stick, but the softer wax below still grips the crystals of snow.
I’m just a recreational backcountry skier. I like to go fast, but I don’t race. I like my time alone in the woods. I always regarded the more expensive waxes as more race oriented. I am also using klister more often. Perhaps you could get excellent kick and glide with Swix Blue Ice Klister as opposed to a warmer temperature wax?
Those are my suggestions. I could be offering things you already do, but these are my methods for difficult conditions.