What is an "old school telemark ski"- a thread for the real nerds...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: What is an "old school telemark ski"- a thread for the real nerds...

Post by lowangle al » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am

Tom M wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:25 am
OK, a walk down memory lane. This is me circa 1973, maybe 1974 on a set of Fischer Europa 77's in the Snowy Range of Wyoming. I'm pretty sure the 77's were one of the first off trail plastic backcountry XC skis. They had an aluminum alloy edge (not steel). They were a huge improvement from my previous wooden skis with a lignostone epoxy edge. It was bye bye pine tar forever. :) I had to one up my older brother who skied Bonna wooden skis with a segmented steel edge. Check out the bamboo poles with the classic adhesive tape over the "joints" for strength and the home sewn powder suit. I even had a head of hair. This guy couldn't even imagine the amazing gear that is available today.
Wow, and I thought you were a noobie with maybe only 25 or 30 years experience.
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Yes! For me a long, narrow, round-flexing, low-cambered (and not rockered) ski with a traditional tip like the Nansen- is the quintessential example of an "old-school" Telemark ski.
(I still don't understand why anyone would call a longitudinally-stiff, cambered, XC-focused ski a "Telemark" ski though.. ;) :ugeek: )
I agree, I just had my mid 80's Karhu XCD-GTs out for a spin. I can't believe I learned on those things. It would be like calling a road bike a mt. bike just because you had it on a trail.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:32 am

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Yes! For me a long, narrow, round-flexing, low-cambered (and not rockered) ski with a traditional tip like the Nansen- is the quintessential example of an "old-school" Telemark ski.
(I still don't understand why anyone would call a longitudinally-stiff, cambered, XC-focused ski a "Telemark" ski though.. ;) :ugeek: )
I agree, I just had my mid 80's Karhu XCD-GTs out for a spin. I can't believe I learned on those things. It would be like calling a road bike a mt. bike just because you had it on a trail.
That is a perfect analogy!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 am

Relevant to discussion:
The Pinhead's Progress, Powder Magazine January 1986. Yvon Chouinard
https://www.powder.com/stories/classics ... emark-run/
Yvon Chouinard's account of traveling the world on 210 centimeters, in search of the perfect telemark turn.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:56 pm

950D94F3-242A-49F0-AFC6-AF798126E04F.jpeg
My wife and I were out on these yesterday, our skinniest single camber waxable skis. My wife’s were way too skinny and mine were way stiffer than I remember them being. I really loved those atomics but in the crusty conditions they were disappointing to say the least. They took more input and speed to turn than I want.

My wife could use new skis now, I can wait another season. So I thought I was sold on the rabb 68 but now I’m thinking I’d rather something a little wider like the nosi 76. This would be for distance oriented tours for turns with kick wax.
BFE85399-5FD4-4C63-B803-15EE0AE94B8A.jpeg

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:26 pm

Relevant to discussion:
The Pinhead's Progress, Powder Magazine January 1986. Yvon Chouinard
https://www.powder.com/stories/classics ... emark-run/

Wow, I remember/forgot that. Some respect to get the cover of Powder too.
Anyone know of old racing footage (if that's not off topic)?

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:42 pm

Wow Yvon Chouinard has has it figured out for quite some time, what a life. He is featured in this documentary which I recommend.
images (1).jpeg