What is an "old school telemark ski"- a thread for the real nerds...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
oggopoggo

Re: What is an "old school telemark ski"- a thread for the real nerds...

Post by oggopoggo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 pm

Trucker, Phoenix, Mountain Tour? They were all skiable with 3 pins. Buying them didn't mean you could turn them, unlike Tua and K2. The telemark position was not optional. If you didn't know how to stem a turn with the trailing shovel by your boot you might not get off a single turn all day. That's my 2 cents on defining old school skis.

Olaf
Ski style: Backyard touring on untracked snow
Favorite Skis: Rossignol Touring LST BC AR, Atomic Rainier, Rossignol Soul 7
Favorite boots: Rossignol X5 NNN, Scarpa T3, Atomic Hawk Prime 120

Post by Olaf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:48 pm

My first old school telemark skis were the 1984 Rossignol Descente, They were an aluminum sandwich construction with single camber and a 66,55,61 profile. They have the 3 pin Rotteffela Telemark bindings and I skied them with Merrell leather boots. I am going to get them out and try skiing them with my Scarpa T3’s.

CarlYork

Post by CarlYork » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 am

When I was a kid circa ‘91-93 my mom’s BF skied XCD’s w 3 pins that had a red wire that looped around the heel. His boots were merrells. All leather. Looked like mountaineering boots. You could call that old school. But it was also inferior. He was a really excellent skier. He’d been a patroller at Breckinridge in the late 70’s. He was terrible on those things. Couldn’t keep up w me at age 12. That said. They were pretty good at going sideways.

Telemark has always seemed to be about garage-style innovation. I think that is part of its charm. And I wouldn’t want to exclude any of those people/things bc it wasn’t ‘pure’ enough.

I think it’s because of my age and when I came to telemark but old school to me is some wood-cored tua’s (sumos maybe) and a pair of 3 pin hardwires. And I’m too big and not a good enough skier to ski anything lighter than scarpa T2’s. Whatever pair of black diamond flick-locks I’ve been using for hiking and skiing the last 25 years will do fine

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:02 am

20210227_192130.jpg
Well, I am not really a telemarker, just a guy who likes to ski on and off trail. This is my off trail quiver, when I am not on my preferred off trail skis which are wood bones, madshus and tryssil knuts. The monashees are my fatties, and not used much with my 67 year old knees.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:45 am

@lilcliffy,

straight from the mind of our in-house Asnes creator/rep:
Åsnes1922 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:51 am
"As many know, the Nansen is based on the old classic Nordic Telemark skis, and it has always been "the classic telemarkski for most skiers""
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 330#p39683
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Yes! For me a long, narrow, round-flexing, low-cambered (and not rockered) ski with a traditional tip like the Nansen- is the quintessential example of an "old-school" Telemark ski.
(I still don't understand why anyone would call a longitudinally-stiff, cambered, XC-focused ski a "Telemark" ski though.. ;) :ugeek: )
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:37 am

oggopoggo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 pm
Trucker, Phoenix, Mountain Tour? They were all skiable with 3 pins. Buying them didn't mean you could turn them, unlike Tua and K2. The telemark position was not optional. If you didn't know how to stem a turn with the trailing shovel by your boot you might not get off a single turn all day. That's my 2 cents on defining old school skis.
The Truckers were innovative skis at the time; I worked in a nordic shop in Colorado mountains back then, and we sold all we could get--personally I never thought they were difficult to turn, in fact I felt them much easier turning than the Kazama tele ski, which btw predated the wider yellow Kazamas. No stem turn required, in fact tele racers loved Truckers and won quite a number of events on those skis, and would've lost considerable style points if they'd been stemming the turns.

Artie Burrows and his tele ski buddies from Crested Butte were the driving force behind Trucker skis; maybe Paul Parker, too. Artie and Paul. et al., Murray Cunningham, and Julie Neils were incredible tele skiers. Artie and Paul, and others, raced and designed skis they liked and could turn with the boots and bindings of the day. Trucker was always under-financed, and, iirc, after losing a bid they'd counted on for an Army contract, Trucker faded away. After writing that excellent tome "Free-Heel Skiing : The Secrets of Telemark and Parallel Techniques - In All Conditions", which is a thousand times better than the older "Cross Country Downhill" by Steve Barnett, Paul went on to design skis for Eevon Coonyard, i.e., those first Tua tele skis that were sold in the late 1980's.
Last edited by fgd135 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:34 pm

I'm glad to hear from someone who was in the heart of telemark. Those guys were our superheroes of the day.
I am surprised they raced on the Trucker though. I found the tip torsionally soft and had to get on to the other ski before the tip wandered off. Different turn shape than racing though. I'd love to have a pair.

I disliked the yellow and later "extreme" (black & brown stripe?) model Kazama skis despite their good reviews. Maybe bindings too far back or just pilot error? Using a binding shift plate it's surprising how different some skis respond to position. I really liked the Rossignol Descente but they weren't the most durable.
poster-vsw-trucker-skis-2.jpg

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 am

Artie Burrows did the graphics for that great Trucker ad, thanks for posting it. Must've been an early ad, what with that stem turn...
I personally remember all the Kazamas as having very stiff shovels and tails that washed out in the turns, which were completely different flexes than any other tele ski then on the market.
On of my personal faves was the Rossi TRS, from about 1984. It was a rocket for cranking GS turns at speed, but like the slightly later Descente, it was not very durable, using foam core construction. For example, I was night skiing at Eldora on New Year's Eve in 1986, got off the lift, did a few turns, hit an icy rut; the Voile bindings released just as advertised, a leash broke, and one ski took off on the hardpack and skittered into the trees! In the dark! After I stopped sliding on the ice, took some looking a few minutes, but I found it right off the trail. The tip was broken clean off except for the base sheet.
Bent another pair after a hard turn at A Basin, never understood that mechanism, but others bent them, too.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:25 am

OK, a walk down memory lane. This is me circa 1973, maybe 1974 on a set of Fischer Europa 77's in the Snowy Range of Wyoming. I'm pretty sure the 77's were one of the first off trail plastic backcountry XC skis. They had an aluminum alloy edge (not steel). They were a huge improvement from my previous wooden skis with a lignostone epoxy edge. It was bye bye pine tar forever. :) I had to one up my older brother who skied Bonna wooden skis with a segmented steel edge. Check out the bamboo poles with the classic adhesive tape over the "joints" for strength and the home sewn powder suit. I even had a head of hair. This guy couldn't even imagine the amazing gear that is available today.
Tom gets some air, Snowy Range.jpg