I think I'm turning XCd

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

I think I'm turning XCd

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:37 pm

I think I'm turning XCd. I really think so.

I have been out twice on my new-to-me 215cm Europa 99 st skis. I was never on a double cambered XC ski before this.

Wax pocket! Groove! Metal edges!

I can even turn them a little bit with my cheapo Whiteboots boots.

For now the MR48s will need to just sit in the basement. I can't bring myself to remount them. I need an NNN-BC boot.

The Alfa Guard Advance is calling to me.
becomingXCd_001.jpg
becomingXCd_002.jpg
Wax pocket!

Tomski

Re: I think I'm turning XCd

Post by Tomski » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Looks like a good bit of sidecut on those, as XC skis go. Glad they're fun!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:42 pm

Fourth Coast, I definitely added a big XC component to my skiing from logging on here. Your E-99 is newer than mine, looks nice! I really like my Alaska BC. One benefit about the Alaska is if you order from REi, you can ship it to the closest store, and try it on before you take it out the door. Otherwise guys really like their Alfa’s.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 pm

There's a time to xcD and there's a time to XCd. It's good to be able to take the best advantage of the conditions.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:59 am

I do not know Al... Is there a time to xCd too? Just kiddin'. Take care.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:12 pm

I was an XCder for twentyfive years, now I'm an XCDer. It's all good. When I'm blessed with powder I take advantage of it. Now that it's gone I'll be doing some cruising.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:32 pm

Fourthcoast you are heading in a good direction if you don’t have a strong xc background. Good xc technique will help your touring in plastic boots.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:27 am

I tallied the total miles and vertical of my tours this year. As of yesterday I've skied 258 miles and climbed 25,660 feet. I skied 44 days, all but three on T4s. A majority of the days was on waxed Voile Insanes followed by fish scaled Chargers and then Vector BCs. I did not use skins. My daily average was 5.86 miles with 585 feet of vertical. Although most of my tours were downhill oriented I only averaged 100' of vert. per mile.

So no matter how turn oriented my tours are I still do a lot of xc skiing. I enjoy doing both about equally so this confirmed my assessment that I am XCD. I would say that for me to be more of an xcD guy I would have to use skins to increase my percent of vert per mile. And like some guy from Vermont once told me "when you're skinning you're not skiing."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:18 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:27 am
I tallied the total miles and vertical of my tours this year. As of yesterday I've skied 258 miles and climbed 25,660 feet. I skied 44 days, all but three on T4s. A majority of the days was on waxed Voile Insanes followed by fish scaled Chargers and then Vector BCs. I did not use skins. My daily average was 5.86 miles with 585 feet of vertical. Although most of my tours were downhill oriented I only averaged 100' of vert. per mile.

So no matter how turn oriented my tours are I still do a lot of xc skiing. I enjoy doing both about equally so this confirmed my assessment that I am XCD. I would say that for me to be more of an xcD guy I would have to use skins to increase my percent of vert per mile. And like some guy from Vermont once told me "when you're skinning you're not skiing."
I can guess I get about 100 feet of vertical per mile, but I don’t get the longer downhills like you Allan. That is why I’m mostly skiing skinny Gamme. It’s great mountain bike terrain, and it’s a lot of fun on skinny skis. I have also had my Falketind 62 skis out in certain conditions, where they excelled. I had my Tindan out a couple times recently, skiing some tight (for me) trees. They were excellent at breaking trail as well, and had good kick and glide on the track I broke.
However it has been climbing to 40 F all week. Someone needs to turn down the thermostat before it’s too late!

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:18 am
However it has been climbing to 40 F all week. Someone needs to turn down the thermostat before it’s too late!
It got colder but I think it is too late. Seems like the season is done already unless I drive way up north. But on the bright side it seems like NNN BC boots are getting restocked now.

Does anyone have experience with the Alpina Alaska and the Alfa Guard Advance, both in NNN-BC?

I would like to know which boot has the most lateral support for putting a ski on edge. Or is there some other boot that would be even better for keeping the 'd' in 'XCd' ?