Gear Basket

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John Dee

Re: Gear Basket

Post by John Dee » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:42 pm
IN OTHER DEALS:

These Objectives w/ 75mm are still for sale, down to $250
https://vermont.craigslist.org/spo/d/wa ... 67107.html
Considering that this ski has no real wax pocket, aren't the fischscales better? It seems like fischscales glide downhill better than wax.

The bindings aren't included.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:05 am

John Dee wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am
Woodserson wrote:
IN OTHER DEALS:

Considering that this ski has no real wax pocket, aren't the fischscales better? It seems like fischscales glide downhill better than wax.

Don't understand you here...
How would scales glide better than wax?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 pm

John Dee wrote:
Woodserson wrote:
IN OTHER DEALS:

This a great deal even without bindings. So good a deal I wonder if there is something wrong the seller is not saying. Actually the fish scales will slow you down… I really wish they made those ski longer for taller and heavier skier like me. Seems like sometimes we are “forgotten” by ski manufacturer… maybe we are a niche in a niche market :?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 pm
John Dee wrote:
Woodserson wrote:
IN OTHER DEALS:

This a great deal even without bindings. So good a deal I wonder if there is something wrong the seller is not saying. Actually the fish scales will slow you down… I really wish they made those ski longer for taller and heavier skier like me. Seems like sometimes we are “forgotten” by ski manufacturer… maybe we are a niche in a niche market :?
???
Maybe I’m just confused by the drift of the posts, but the advertised skis are not BC. They have no traction pattern. Without having seen the bases, these look like a very good deal. Even with shipping, less than 1/2 price.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:39 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:05 am
John Dee wrote:
Woodserson wrote:
IN OTHER DEALS:

Looking at Tom M's video of the V6, those are barely cambered at all. So it seems like if wax or scales are dragging, fishscales are at least more directional than wax. Its just a thought, but I also think I want the fischscale more since these ones supposedly work really well.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:49 pm

I'm holding out on these because I think I want the fischscales. It seems like fish scales and skins get you through all climbing fine. I want to know what other people prefer though?

Probably these will be gone soon.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 pm

John Dee wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:39 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
John Dee wrote:

Looking at Tom M's video of the V6, those are barely cambered at all. So it seems like if wax or scales are dragging, fishscales are at least more directional than wax. Its just a thought, but I also think I want the fischscale more since these ones supposedly work really well.
It is a thought, but based on my experience not how it works in reality. The length of the waxless pattern cannot be adjusted, you can vary the length wax is applied.
Also it almost seems like you have never kicked along on a properly waxed ski. In the right conditions wax just glides.
Sometimes wax drags a bit, with scales in consolidated snow the scales vibrate. It’s a different drag, like a baseball card in your bicycle spokes.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:17 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 pm
John Dee wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:39 pm
lilcliffy wrote:

It is a thought, but based on my experience not how it works in reality. The length of the waxless pattern cannot be adjusted, you can vary the length wax is applied.
Also it almost seems like you have never kicked along on a properly waxed ski. In the right conditions wax just glides.
Sometimes wax drags a bit, with scales in consolidated snow the scales vibrate. It’s a different drag, like a baseball card in your bicycle spokes.
True, but aside from that, it seems like scales and skins are a nice climbing setup. Is wax really superior or worth the extra effort for climbing? Don't you have to remove kick wax to put on skins?
Last edited by John Dee on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:33 pm

There are a lot of people that prefer scales to wax. The Voile scales are well regarded, and worth holding out for if that is your preference.
There are no kicker skins that are integral to the ski for Voile skis. I have a Tindan 86 which is the same width as an Objective, it is a lot of ski to kick wax. If you aren’t fond of kick wax, you would not enjoy a ski like that.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:12 pm

My first experience with wax skis was only 3 yrs ago. I prefer wax over scales. scales only make sense for:

1) multiday trip of significance. traverses, big climbs, etc
2) late spring or summer when the snow is refrozen and abrasive and then becomes wet/heavy as temps rise dramatically. in this instance, scales only help you on the way down. i usually leave kick skins on to aid climbing and decending. the additional length of the scales produce enough resistance to grip the snow and slows me down.
3) when snow conditions have high chance of skin failure
4) if you are lazy

I have found that applying some wax on scale skis can improve it in some conditions. I have to agree that the scales are a big drag in many conditions. Also, scales dont help you when its really icy. many times, a combo of wax and skins are way better than scales.

overall, for my day trips in the winter months, I use only wax skis now as they just glide and perform better. If they dont grip, I add kick skins or full length skins.

learning to properly wax takes some time, but its time well spent.

there is also the white version of the Ultravector BC to consider

https://www.wildsnow.com/29589/the-mu-o ... ki-review/