Gear Basket

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Gear Basket

Post by MikeK » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Thought it might be a cool idea to post any relevant gear you see and don't want for yourself here. I'll start...

Merrell double buckle leathers in 10.5 (You never see that size!) for $50.

https://albany.craigslist.org/spo/4783852032.html

I have no affiliation with the seller... just passing it on.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Gear Basket

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:01 am

My size!

Unfortunately, I don't ski with buckles anymore. I'm way ahead now... :D 8-)

Went to Albany a few years ago to see a show... At this huge thing called The Egg... Really nice city!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:20 am

Well then... maybe you won't be jealous of my new Crispi's. What size Euro are you?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 am

Between 10 and 11 US, or 43-44... But my Alaskas, which are size 44 are way too big for me...!

I AM jealous already! I don't think those really qualify as "Buckles"... (I'll have to check with the committee...) They are much smaller than normal plastic buckles. They act more like plastic laces to me. I hate lacing my boots. Bring back the Velcro!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 am

Can't just call it velcro... needs a cool name like POWER STRAP!

Hmm... I thought you bought your Alaska new. Did you try a 43? I can't fit into a 43 Alpina. My 44 feels tight in the width until I try to go dh, then they feel LOOSE! But that's just the leather feeling I suppose... haha!

I wish my toe was farther forward, I bet it would feel better. I suppose I could shim the heel but as of now I don't have any lift/blister issues so I'm tempted not to phuck with it.

I'm tempted to pick up the Merrells. They would probably fit me. But the new boots will probably be more supportive and comfy. I've not had much luck with used boots... I get cramps or blisters.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:44 pm

The old Merells will probably be more supportive. Sturdy leather and big buckles. The Cripi will be more soft, but they sure will be more comfy...

Never tried the Alaskas before buying... Bought them used on ebay... To this day, I still haven't seen a store around here carrying them. I would buy a pair of 42 if I could... (2 pairs, one NNN and one NN... : )

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:11 pm

42?!? Man, I don't think that will fit you. Big difference between a 44 and 42. Try a 43 first.

If you want to or have the money to take a fun trip go here:

http://www.garnet-hill.com/

They used to stock them and you can at least try them on. I'd give them a call first.

If there is a lot of snow, head out here:

And if you have some extra money, spend a day at Gore, which is right there (I wouldn't buy the ticket at Gore, look on CL and see if you can find someone selling a pack ticket... you can get them cheap).

It's close enough to you, you could do it for a day trip but if you want to stay somewhere I would recommend Queensbury (you can get a dirt cheap hotel during the winter and it's about an hour south).

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 am

Wow, nice network of trails!!

Gore is on my list every winter... I will have to go there one day... Never even been to Camels Hump... It's just a bit too far for me for a day trip... (I'm not crazy about driving more than 5 minutes to get to ski... : )

But if there's some nice & easy XC trails around, it might be easier to convince the wife... : )

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Wow, nice network of trails!!

Gore is on my list every winter... I will have to go there one day... Never even been to Camels Hump... It's just a bit too far for me for a day trip... (I'm not crazy about driving more than 5 minutes to get to ski... : )

But if there's some nice & easy XC trails around, it might be easier to convince the wife... : )
Yeah I get that. But welcome to my world... I have to drive pretty much all the time just to ski (skiing near my house is boring). You could always sleep in the van with that $300 sleeping bag you have ;)

I'm not sure I'd call any of those trails easy but there is easy skiing at Garnet Hill... problem is they charge you.'

There is also this:
2013-SBP-Trail-Map.jpg
which I honestly don't know how they operate. I've never been there when they have any snow, so I'm not sure if it is part of Gore and you have to pay or if it is owned by the town and free.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:58 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rottefella-Supe ... 566d98c353

Here you go Johnny. Throw out those cables!